Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC upgrade questions

• 24-04-2012 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm currently on the 25MB broadband as part of a broadband and TV bundle I got last summer and I'm thinking of upgrading the broadband, I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions. Are UPC offering upgrades to 50MB for €5/mnth to existing customers the same as they are offering new customers? If I were to upgrade to 50 or 100MB would I need a replacement for the Cisco 2425 they sent me last year? If so do I have to pay for it?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Virgin Media: Jason

Hi imbob20

Yes, you can double your speed to 50mb for €5 or add an extra €5 to get 100mb

You will need a new router, there will be a €30 swap charge

Regards

Jason
    jimbob20 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently on the 25MB broadband as part of a broadband and TV bundle I got last summer and I'm thinking of upgrading the broadband, I'm hoping someone can answer a couple of questions. Are UPC offering upgrades to 50MB for €5/mnth to existing customers the same as they are offering new customers? If I were to upgrade to 50 or 100MB would I need a replacement for the Cisco 2425 they sent me last year? If so do I have to pay for it?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jimbob20

UPC: Jason wrote: »
    Hi imbob20

Yes, you can double your speed to 50mb for €5 or add an extra €5 to get 100mb

You will need a new router, there will be a €30 swap charge

Regards

Jason

That's great, Thanks Jason

Just in case anyone else is thinking about this, the call centre aren't offering this option to me, I would have to upgrade to a new bundle and it's €10 (50MB) or €20 (100MB) a month extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Just in case anyone else is thinking about this, the call centre aren't offering this option to me, I would have to upgrade to a new bundle and it's €10 (50MB) or €20 (100MB) a month extra

Do you mean you have to sign a new contract??

Ant11 wrote: »
    Do you mean you have to sign a new contract??
    I didn't get that far, I thought I'd just be able to increase my broadband speed for either €5 or €10 a month depending on the upgrade but I was told I needed to take a change to my TV package, add a phone that I have no use for and pay €10 or €20 more a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I upgraded from 25mb to 50mb and its actually 5 pound sterling (8 euro or thereabouts)
    Well thats what the girl on the phone said, but she did say that for me to jump from 50mb to 100mb would be 5 euro.
    Very confusing.

I didn't get that far, I thought I'd just be able to increase my broadband speed for either €5 or €10 a month depending on the upgrade but I was told I needed to take a change to my TV package, add a phone that I have no use for and pay €10 or €20 more a month

That's crap, not much point changing so if it's going to cost that much extra.

sham69 wrote: »
    I upgraded from 25mb to 50mb and its actually 5 pound sterling (8 euro or thereabouts)
    Well thats what the girl on the phone said, but she did say that for me to jump from 50mb to 100mb would be 5 euro.
    Very confusing.

Did you have to get a new router?

Well I am in the process of waiting for new router (this week)
    As far as I know, yes, I get the Thompson router (for 50mb and 100mb)
    The older one (EPC2425) is taken back (thank god)

sham69 wrote: »
    Well I am in the process of waiting for new router (this week)
    As far as I know, yes, I get the Thompson router (for 50mb and 100mb)
    The older one (EPC2425) is taken back (thank god)

Did you have to open a new contract for it? Or did they tell you you had to get a phone like Jimbob was told above??

• Advertisement

I already have a phone.
    I think my package is : 25mb broadband, all time free phone and basic tv.
    I pay around 65 euro at the moment.
    The modem is a pile of poo, it seems to reset the dhcp every few hours which is a pain when you rely on it for streaming netflix etc.
    I am hoping the new router will fix my problems.

Advertisement