Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks/TGI Fridays for Bewley's Westmoreland Street

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Market saturation is their business model isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Market saturation is their business model isn't it?

Absolutely! There are 4 around the Blanchardstown centre between the centre and the retail parks - and all are busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Glad to see SOMETHING occupy this building.

BUT................as someone who has very fond memories of Bewley's Westmoreland Street.............it's a huge comedown.

It's sinful that such a special coffee shop such as Bewley's in Westmoreland Street is now gone forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

athtrasna wrote: »
    Absolutely! There are 4 around the Blanchardstown centre between the centre and the retail parks - and all are busy.

the coffee in starbucks is shite, people only go into the place because they feel they need to be seen there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

But but but the Starbucks is literally across the road....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And yet not even one in Limerick, Galway or Cork! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

4982055932_22b64c6fdb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Mr.S wrote: »
    Its popular to just hate on starbucks for no reason

:confused:

No....it's just valid to hate Starbucks for their franchise-saturation and sh*t coffee? But yeah the world (or Dublin) doesn't need more of these!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

When did Bewleys close from there?

Edit: nvm just read the article, 2005 it says

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Starbucks isn't a franchise. The profits will be leaving the country. It may be creating jobs, but only by taking them from locally owned businesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The quality of the coffee might not be perfect but its still good~ and re: prices compared to the rest of Dublin it isn't expensive.

How much is a coffee in Starbucks? I've been in two Starbucks in Dublin and remember thinking they were pretty pricey to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Cianos wrote: »
    Starbucks isn't a franchise. The profits will be leaving the country. It may be creating jobs, but only by taking them from locally owned businesses.

yep, the starbucks 'Irish' head office is in London

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

great another place to get tar like coffee and reheated food! It nice to see the building getting use but it would be nicer to see a proper coffee place opening or something a bit more appealing than the crap starbucks and tgi slop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I like starbucks coffee:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

sideswipe wrote: »
    I like starbucks coffee:o

I don't mine it either. It's certainly better than some of the other crap out there - Insomnia tastes like dishwater to me, how is it so popular???

But regardless I hate the idea of Starbucks opening yet another branch in an historic building in the city center - it should be confined to shopping centers in the suburbs and DCC should be aiming to put a bit of class to its main streets rather than selling them off bit by bit to brash and trashy multinationals

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Better then having it empty I suppose,plus maybe it will help attract more people to the street besides drug addicts,dealers and beggars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

:rolleyes:

No. They are popular because they have a decent coffee menu, and the shops are usually quite big with comfy seats and free wifi.

The quality of the coffee might not be perfect but its still good~ and re: prices compared to the rest of Dublin it isn't expensive.

Its popular to just hate on starbucks for no reason ;)

Opening across the road is a bit silly seing as the other one is about 20 seconds walk away and college green around the corner.

Could it be that TGI fridays are going to occupy the building and just serve starbucks brewed coffee?

It's like people who hate Apple products.They hate them for no reason. Great to see more life on the street but it's a bit mad with a Starbucks literally across the road

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

How much is a coffee in Starbucks? I've been in two Starbucks in Dublin and remember thinking they were pretty pricey to be fair.

I think it depends what you're getting! Black/Americano versus mocha frappe chocolate cream syrupy thing!

I get the bus by the Bewley's site and it's always busy, no doubt they'll both do a lot of business. Also tends to be a lot of drunks/junkies there so maybe they'll be deterred.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Pleased something is going in there, now TGI's will be a bit closer. I rarely find any reason to go to Grafton Street / beyond.

Apart from across the road... there's a starbucks just around the corner on Dame street, lol.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I don't mine it either. It's certainly better than some of the other crap out there - Insomnia tastes like dishwater to me, how is it so popular???

Good question.
    But regardless I hate the idea of Starbucks opening yet another branch in an historic building in the city center - it should be confined to shopping centers in the suburbs and DCC should be aiming to put a bit of class to its main streets rather than selling them off bit by bit to brash and trashy multinationals

I think you'll find the city council do not own the building and do not have the powers to ban one brand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

I hope they will keep the signposting to a minimum. McDonalds in Bray shows that a chain restaurant can fit in nicely anywhere with a minimum of fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

TheTwiz wrote: »
    It's like people who hate Apple products.They hate them for no reason. Great to see more life on the street but it's a bit mad with a Starbucks literally across the road

I don't have any issue with the product or service of Starbucks - they obviously run a good shop.

I do have issue with the effect their business model has on a city. Given that every Starbucks in the world looks pretty much the same, they're adding nothing new to the character of the city, but rather helping to erode any unique identity that comes with small locally owned businesses offering locals and tourists their own thing.

It's not a bad thing to think that Starbucks and their like shouldn't be let bully out the competition and suck business away from locally owned independent enterprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,349 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Cianos wrote: »
    I don't have any issue with the product or service of Starbucks - they obviously run a good shop.

I do have issue with the effect their business model has on a city. Given that every Starbucks in the world looks pretty much the same, they're adding nothing new to the character of the city, but rather helping to erode any unique identity that comes with small locally owned businesses offering locals and tourists their own thing.

It's not a bad thing to think that Starbucks and their like shouldn't be let bully out the competition and suck business away from locally owned independent enterprises.

You'll be happy with the planed changes so as stores no longer have to conform to a brand standard and there are a wide variety f furnishings across new stres. Very obvious in London stores; menu remains the same though.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Marcusm wrote: »
    You'll be happy with the planed changes so as stores no longer have to conform to a brand standard and there are a wide variety f furnishings across new stres. Very obvious in London stores; menu remains the same though.
    But we had a world renowned, unique and historic coffee shop with great charm, visual appeal and atmosphere when BEWLEYS was there and now that is lost forever.........

:mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

bureau2009 wrote: »
    But we had a world renowned, unique and historic coffee shop with great charm, visual appeal and atmosphere when BEWLEYS was there and now that is lost forever.........

:mad:

That loss happened some time ago now -- it really is time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Not a huge fan of SB/TGI but having that pretty much landmark unit occupied is better than it being left empty. Crazy state of affairs on such a busy thoroughfare which for visitors is often the first part of South Central Dublin they encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Great to see something going in there, the building was empty for so long and a Starbucks is much better than nothing in my view. Bewleys was great, but it's gone a long time and there wasn't an orderly queue of replacements forming to replace them.
    It's like people who hate Apple products.They hate them for no reason.

I hate Apple products because I use them :D

But the biggest question that people are not addressing is where will Pat Ingoldsby sell his poetry books now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

It's like people who hate Apple products.They hate them for no reason.

I hate them because I have to use that ridiculous operating system in work. It's turned me off ever even considering buying a Mac. I'll be sticking with PC's thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

athtrasna wrote: »
    Theres actually 5 in Blanchardstown - New Look, Leisureplex , The cinema, the retail park and the one in the middle of the centre !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Kinda sad because I have such memories of the bewleys but anything is better than an empty building in such a central location.

Advertisement