Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

factory or mart?

• 24-04-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

hi lads,

i have a red lim cow(07) fit for killing now and i was wondering would i be better off mart her or factory?

shes probably 750-800kg,more lads to bid in mart,though only really be factory agents,but in factory when shes gone shes gone,was thinking mart myself,any opinons welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

deffo mart, if you are not happy with the price you can bring her home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

I have a different problem:o Have three screws of cows, which have succesfully delivered their fifteenth calf this year, and are currently rearing them.
    Now, it's time to retire them permanently. The crators, are not much more then skin and bone:confused: , but plenty of milk.
    I'm wondering about the best exit strategy for them.

1. Sell them in June when I have herd test, with calves at foot. Feb born calves.

2. Let them rear calves, and say wean in September. Give a bit of feeding to cows for six weeks and factory / mart them? I doubt they will respond too well to the feeding at this stage though. So would I be as well off, weaning the calves, and sending the cows on their way directly when the calves are weaned.

I'll miss them when they are gone. Never missed a calf. Never had to assist a calving. And that's to a charolais bull every year:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

mart, dont know but around here its either farmers or finishers around the ring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Richk2012

simx wrote: »
    hi lads,

i have a red lim cow(07) fit for killing now and i was wondering would i be better off mart her or factory?

shes probably 750-800kg,more lads to bid in mart,though only really be factory agents,but in factory when shes gone shes gone,was thinking mart myself,any opinons welcome

Sold a 08 Belgian Blue cow on Thursday . She calved a Premature stillborn in October . Should have been 4 months back in calf but seen her bulling 2 weeks ago . No time for that :mad: ..
    Weighed 675kg
    Made Eur1220 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

hi lads,

hang her up urself,umay as well have the money as sumlad who will bring her straight too the factory from the mart. 380 AKG for u grades at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

ashbourne meats roscrea give good money for lm cows & bulls

john o grady usually arranges the bookings

if you have a good finished animal no way will you get their value in the marts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Tora Bora wrote: »
    I have a different problem:o Have three screws of cows, which have succesfully delivered their fifteenth calf this year, and are currently rearing them.
    Now, it's time to retire them permanently. The crators, are not much more then skin and bone:confused: , but plenty of milk.
    I'm wondering about the best exit strategy for them.

1. Sell them in June when I have herd test, with calves at foot. Feb born calves.

2. Let them rear calves, and say wean in September. Give a bit of feeding to cows for six weeks and factory / mart them? I doubt they will respond too well to the feeding at this stage though. So would I be as well off, weaning the calves, and sending the cows on their way directly when the calves are weaned.

I'll miss them when they are gone. Never missed a calf. Never had to assist a calving. And that's to a charolais bull every year:P

If it was me I'd sell with calf at foot, calf will be a carrot;)
    If you are not getting enough in June, wean them early, end of aug, meal them at grass for sept-oct then slaughter. Are the calves bulls or heifers?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

snowman707 wrote: »
    if you have a good finished animal no way will you get their value in the marts

Most of the fat animals that have passed through marts since christmas have made more being sold live that if the farmer went direct to slaughter. Saw a lot of animals this week selling for at a min of 50 over the beef price. Crazy altogether. Especially for beef cows I would advocate the mart, but each to their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

in elphin mart mon. evening
    715 kg bb cow 1980 euro
    several other cows made
    2000 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

The mart is the place to sell cows are the only stock that have held or increased over the last 2 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

mart mart mart ,640 kilo blonde 1550euro,do what ever sums you want its mart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

leg wax wrote: »
    mart mart mart ,640 kilo blonde 1550euro,do what ever sums you want its mart.

was thinking the same,that some money,what mart is that?,got bloods done yesterday so be going next week hopefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

was thinking the same,that some money,what mart is that?,got bloods done yesterday so be going next week hopefully
    newross

Advertisement