Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Berlin I would imagine for surface etc...i class Dublin London similar....usually the best runners run in london and 2.04.40 is record...so it ain't simple. Berlin is a min quicker with 2 top top runners only ever in The field...I still think bottles of water luc sport been handed out is worth a min for us joggers.

what kind of shape are you in VR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sosa wrote: »

what kind of shape are you in VR?
    Thurs night I would have said 2.55 and going down quickly. Woke up Friday morning with back pain. Week off running is what physio told me so we will see. A lot of work done from a 41 min 10k in enniscorthy and 32.30 in kilmacthomas. After 9 months been injured last year it sucks.......starting to think maybe the shorter stuff might suit me....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Thurs night I would have said 2.55 and going down quickly. Woke up Friday morning with back pain. Week off running is what physio told me so we will see. A lot of work done from a 41 min 10k in enniscorthy and 32.30 in kilmacthomas. After 9 months been injured last year it sucks.......starting to think maybe the shorter stuff might suit me....

good stuff,im only just back from a bout of plantar fasciitis...nightmare,lost the bones of 4 weeks,did 18 thursday after work and it was tough going the last 4 miles...the pf is not gone but i am treating it well at home and physio also....no 20's done yet and boston in 4 weeks...plan to do 3 the next 3 weeks and take 1 week/10 days taper...see how i get on with that,tbh just happy to be back running and cannot go crazy the next 3 weeks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Unfortunately Dibaba has had to pull out due to injury. Was looking forward to seeing her debut.

From Website:
    The Ethiopian triple Olympic track champion was due to make her debut in London on 21 April but has been forced to postpone her move up to the marathon because a previous problem with her lower leg re-emerged during training.

Dibaba retained her Olympic 10,000m title at London 2012 last summer and added a bronze in the 5000m after winning both events at the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. She was aiming to become the first Ethiopian since her cousin Derartu Tulu in 2001 to win the women’s race at the London Marathon.

Dibaba’s withdrawal leaves Olympic champion Tiki Gelana to spearhead the Ethiopian challenge at her first London Marathon. Gelana will face World Champion Edna Kiplagat of Kenya, plus World and Olympic silver medallist Priscah Jeptoo in a race featuring five women who have completed the distance in less than two hours 20 minutes.

She may be out of this year’s race but Dibaba is looking forward to making her London Marathon debut next year.

More information on the new provisions can be found here. http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/news-and-media/news-and-media/press-release-14-03-13-dibaba-withdraws-london-mar/

Magazine with final instructions to be posted this week. Should be at your respective UK address':D by Monday 25th

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got mine just now. :D:D:D

I'm sure last year I got a fridge magnet and pair of laces in the packet as well, but doesn't seem to be any other freebies this time. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

robinph wrote: »
    Got mine just now. :D:D:D

I'm sure last year I got a fridge magnet and pair of laces in the packet as well, but doesn't seem to be any other freebies this time. :(

My two have arrived in Scotland and are being re-routed to Cork as we speak.
    Disappointed about the fridge magnet tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

eliwallach wrote: »
    Disappointed about the fridge magnet tbh.
    If I'd known there would have been no new fridge magnet then I'd have not put last years time on the one I have. Was a bit disappointed with the time last year and need a better time displayed on my fridge. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

4 weeks ...... tick tock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Registration Form and Final Instructions just arrived by email.:eek: im in the blue start, using Blackheat station, are most of you in the Red start...good for age zone??

it must be getting close now:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Front of the Red Start for me in the GFA area.

Front of the Red Start for me in the GFA area.

Red Start -GFA for me as well.

I know this is probably in front of me in Black & White, but how do I know if im at the front or the back? Thanks

EauRouge79 wrote: »

Red Start -GFA for me as well.

I know this is probably in front of me in Black & White, but how do I know if im at the front or the back? Thanks
    There will be a little number 1-9 on your race number and if 1 you are at the front. As far as I know all sub 3.15 are 1 so u will be at the front. If you are at start at 9.20 you can be in front line. You won't lose time at the start if in red

There isn't much to be gained by pushing to the front of the GFA crowd once they start letting us in to the starting pen so chill out and sit on the grass for a bit longer before getting up to crowd into the pen.

With the GFA start you can be fairly certain that everyone stood around you is in the right place and will all be setting off at 3:10-2:40 pace and shouldn't be anyone going at a pace outside that range. Ao it's quite unusual compared to other marathon starts where you would be tripping over people who have lined up too far forward. Everyone starts off at pretty much the same speed, and although the road is packed with people there is far less jostling for space then you'd normally see at the start. Then after 3 miles we join up with the rest of them from the blue start and it does get a bit more crowded for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

ronnie085 wrote: »
    4 weeks ...... tick tock

Hope everyone's training is proceeding without drama and stress ( as if)....thankfully only a week or two (depending on your plan) to the safe haven that is "taper time".
    In the meantime if you feel you haven'
    t done enough , are carrying strains and aches and mysterious pains and your confidence is shot to hell....be assured everyone else is feeling exactly the same :)
    Good luck to all
    Lex

Sore shin after long run yesterday....hope its not the recourrance of an old injury. I still remember the pain.:confused:
    I think the 10 mile effort in Mallow last week may have contributed.

Will see how I go this week before deciding to plough on with the last long run this weekend.
    Feckin softy....maybe is just need to man up!

There are a few of us I believe staying down The Strand so just a couple of pointers so you don't have to worry about thinking too much on the morning of the 21st.

To get to the start just leave the hotel and head down towards Charing Cross station which is towards the Trafalgar Square end of The Strand. Outside there will be two long queues winding round the barriers to the different starts, get in the appropriate queue. If you are a RED Good For Age then make sure you get on the train to Blackheath with the BLUE numbered runners and not the other queue to Greenwich. You don't need a ticket, just your race number, although they are unlikely to bother checking so just keep it pinned to your vest. The train will be very busy so don't stress if you miss one, Charring Cross is the start of the train line so just get on the next one which will be about 5 minutes later. If you are staying elsewhere and having to use the underground to get to the overground stations then I think your best aiming for one of the main terminal stations that go to your start as the trains may be tricky to squeeze onto at the intermediate stops.

For the RED start GFA and the BLUE just stay on the train until Blackheath and then follow the hoards along to the start. You really can't get lost, just follow the person infront. There will be various signs along the way telling the different numbers where to go. The RED GFA will have to walk all the way across the heath to the front for the red start, there is then a special little area set aside for us which you will have to show your number to get into. There are plenty of loos in there and tea and coffee as well apparently, although I didn't try the coffee last year. There is a bit of space inside the area to jog about, but not much. Make sure you put your bag on the right lorry, there are only two for us I think so shouldn't be too hard to figure out. :)

Other questions that have popped up:
    Can you collect someone elses number: Yes, but you will require their signed declaration form already signed by the runner. A letter from the runner authorising you by name to collect their number. A clear copy of the runners driving license or passport that also shows their signature. (see the magazine when it arrives for the exact details)

You will require your own driving license/ passport when collecting your number from the Expo. It is a lot bigger and more interesting than the likes of Dublin Expo, but it's also going to be a lot more crowded. Get there early if you can so you can leave and chill out back at the hotel once you've had your fill of pasta and people trying to print your name on a tshirt.

Do you have to pay for the underground/ overground trains: No, but only on the morning of the 21st and only when wearing your number, and only on certain lines. The rest of the time you'll need to get a travel card, as will any supporters that may be travelling with you. To get to the eXcel for the expo you will need a travel card to cover you to Zone 3, but you may already have a card covering that depending on how you are getting to London.

What is the best way to speed my recovery after the marathon: Head straight back up The Strand to The Coal Hole and down a few pints of the fine ales they have on offer. Some of us may stop for a cheeky can of London Pride in the Queens front garden immediately after the race. Last year there was a can in the goody bag from the expo, and we met up beneath the X sign in Horse Guards Parade to down those before heading to the pub. There are A-Z signs setup along Horse Guards parade after the finish line for meeting people, just arrange in advance where you'll meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Gah wish I was going to VLM now after reading that great sum up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Younganne wrote: »
    Registration Form and Final Instructions just arrived by email.:eek: im in the blue start, using Blackheat station, are most of you in the Red start...good for age zone??
    You got an e-mail? Did everybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

Think that was for the international entries only not for the UK residents ;)

http://london-marathon.s3.amazonaws.com/Final_Instructions_2013.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm hoping my housemate in London is keeping me up to date on all important information. I'm such a ditz I keep missing the stuff they're sending to the house. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Excellent Robinph. That brings a great deal of clarity. Super stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Cheers for the great info Robinph.

Week 6 of no running for me due to a foot stress fracture, desperate to start running again. Biking and water running all the time but the novelty is wearing thin at this stage.

Got my letter at mate's London house, not sure what start time. I assume red. Looking forward to the Coal Hole more than the race at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Very helpful post robin, thanks a mill :) Anyone else not yet receive their registration pack, at their UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

My pack hasnt been redirected from NI to Dublin yet but I'll be in the "UK" (roll eyes) GFA group also hopefully...

Thanks a million Robinph for the post , really clear and helpful !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ye, this is for the International lottery entries...

Thanks for that Robinph, really helpful info there.:D

What start are fast good for age women in. ?? I don't ever rem seeing a woman in our start

What start are fast good for age women in. ?? I don't ever rem seeing a woman in our start

I'm sure I saw a couple in the second pen last year along with some fast looking male vets, but not many. Any women doing 3:10 will be in the Championship start just behind the elites in the Blue start. Any other Good for age, rather than Fast Good For Age, will be in the Green start behind the celebs. Was talking to a vet woman in my club the other week who has the Good For Age but was complaining about having to negotiate a bunch of fat celebs and footballers at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

And my pack just arrived :) Green start for me.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I saw a couple in the second pen last year along with some fast looking male vets, but not many. Any women doing 3:10 will be in the Championship start just behind the elites in the Blue start. Any other Good for age, rather than Fast Good For Age, will be in the Green start behind the celebs. Was talking to a vet woman in my club the other week who has the Good For Age but was complaining about having to negotiate a bunch of fat celebs and footballers at the start.
    Before anyone else jumPs in what's wrong with fat ?? Lol

Advertisement