Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Will Waterford qualify as one of the marathons they will take ??? New york I think have a list you can do in each country....my advise ring them and get them to mail you...rem to use the english accent.lol

New York Marathon took my Waterford Half time as a qualifier, surely London would take a Waterford full time. Email the garmin link just to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

When did they change the GFA time? Pleasantly surprised to find my blow-up in Dublin gets me in so I'll be London bound in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

New York Marathon took my Waterford Half time as a qualifier, surely London would take a Waterford full time. Email the garmin link just to be sure.

Rotterdam took my Waterford Half time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    When did they change the GFA time? Pleasantly surprised to find my blow-up in Dublin gets me in so I'll be London bound in 2013

what is the entry procedure Gringo ? are you entering the ballot and hoping for the best or is there alternative oprions you have ?
    I would like to do it myself next year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think they would take Waterford as OK.

What they won't accept are UK marathons that are not UKA registered though as there is a bit of competition between UKA and ARC over who is registering races and clubs etc. If it appears on RunBritain or PowerOf10 then they will accept it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Sosa wrote: »

what is the entry procedure Gringo ? are you entering the ballot and hoping for the best or is there alternative oprions you have ?
    I would like to do it myself next year.
    Sosa your in bother. Why not jog around cork in 3.09 and get straight in under the fast good for age........you need a marathon in 2011 or 2012......

Sosa your in bother. Why not jog around cork in 3.09 and get straight in under the fast good for age........you need a marathon in 2011 or 2012......

Is it that easy VR ( not the jog around in 3:09 )...just get under 3:10 and they accept you...im doing waterford in June,i wonder will they take a time from that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Sosa wrote: »

Is it that easy VR ( not the jog around in 3:09 )...just get under 3:10 and they accept you...im doing waterford in June,i wonder will they take a time from that ?

It's that easy. You just need to apply under a UK address

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Proof of time - print out of certificate.
    Proof of age - photocopy of passport.
    UK address.

Your UK address needs to be efficient though as there is only a two week window between them posting out the confirmation of you having a place and when you need to have sent them back that form and the payment. The payment need to be a cheque on a UK bank or a GBP postal order.

It's that easy. You just need to apply under a UK address

very good,when would you need to be doing that by ? considering the i would not be running he GFA time until June 30th...probabaly asap after that i suppose.

• Advertisement

Last year the deadline for submitting the proof of time was the middle of July, and the deadline for returning the payment and signed acceptance slip was the end of July.

The dates for 2013 have not been put on their page yet:

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/good-for-age-entries/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Will Waterford qualify as one of the marathons they will take ??? New york I think have a list you can do in each country....my advise ring them and get them to mail you...rem to use the english accent.lol

Never thought of that tbh, just presumed any marathon would do :o

Have my english address sorted. Can I enter the ballot, and then if I manage the GFA, enter that way too? Or is it one or the other? Sorry if this is a stupid question :confused:

RubyK wrote: »
    Never thought of that tbh, just presumed any marathon would do :o

Have my english address sorted. Can I enter the ballot, and then if I manage the GFA, enter that way too? Or is it one or the other? Sorry if this is a stupid question :confused:

Far from a stupid question. I asked the same one down at the expo the other night.

Basically my 2012 ballot place entry is deferred and i pay for my 2013 entry as normal. Then in June/July when the GFA window opens i submit my details to them (printout of my Berlin time, address, etc) and my ballot entry is upgraded to a GFA entry.

I say enter the ballot, then submit the GFA details (if you hit sub 3'50) and tell them your entered into the ballot already and they will cancel your ballot application. You'll know your in with a GFA place before you hear about your ballot place. Chances are you won't get in through the ballot anyway. Odds are about 7 or 8 to 1.

Thanks for that Brian, I'll enter the ballot on Monday, and then see what happens on the 30th June :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

When you enter via the ballot, when do you find out if you've got a place or not?

Last year, iirc, it was the first week in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Going to enter this again on Monday got a UK address today. Second year trying. Does having the address in England give you much more of a chance of been accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Going to enter this again on Monday got a UK address today. Second year trying. Does having the address in England give you much more of a chance of been accepted
    If you are a decent runner so to speak it makes a big difference......lol

That's me out. Do you need a time also or can it be ballot.

I got in through the UK ballot this year on my first attempt. Others i know have been trying 10 years and no joy. Shels4ever on here got in through the international ballot this year.

It's said its about 8/1 via the UK ballot and 40-50/1 via the international ballot but thats just speculation.

• Advertisement

I can live with those numbers (8/1). So there is a small chance so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I got in through the UK ballot this year on my first attempt. Others i know have been trying 10 years and no joy. Shels4ever on here got in through the international ballot this year.

It's said its about 8/1 via the UK ballot and 40-50/1 via the international ballot but thats just speculation.

Can you enter both? Will they notice?

corny wrote: »
    Can you enter both? Will they notice?

Doubt it, i know a few who did that last year. I see no reason why you can't enter both.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Doubt it, i know a few who did that last year. I see no reason why you can't enter both.

Unlikely to notice I'd imagine given the huge amount of applicants and the fact you would be applying with two different addresses. Would be funny if you got a place through both ballots though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

uk ballot for me plz God!

Think it's the same price however you enter if that is ballot or GFA, although they maybe charge the furriners ballot a bit more. Was something like £28 last year I think, might have been £38... pretty sure the price ended in an 8 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

going to chance the overseas ballot and hopefully i can use a uk address and go for a good for age and see how that works out,chances of coming out in the ballot are fairly slim anyway.only thing i'd be worried about is they would have my details on file from this year from the sports travel internatiional tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭lukeeman

if you were to enter both ballots,you could go as gaeilge for international and english for the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

lukeeman wrote: »
    if you were to enter both ballots,you could go as gaeilge for international and english for the other one.

was thinking that,but they would be looking for your name and id to match i would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 kat2171

Hi all. Only came accross this thread now.
    Does the entry process stay open for long or do you have to actually enter on Monday or whats the story?
    Secondly is it an online entry system? Just wondering about the payment system. Can you pay with credit card or do u need a uk cheque?
    I have to chat the aul relations in the UK re an address but havnt done it yet!

Advertisement