Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Weather watch.... perfect

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Weather watch.... perfect

Yay, that will do nicely. Only slight improvement would be wind to rotate about 60 degrees to the left, but if it stays like that it's not going to cause us any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Guys hope it cools down for ye, feels like summer out there today. Big red face on me :p

Went to the expo today to get my number (Meno's) and RQ's number. Glad to say there were no security checks on the way in to the ExCel. Really good expo, much better than the last 2 years out there. Be careful you dont spend too much time on your feet there cause there's a lot to see. Jim Aughney was manning the DCM stand. Also i saw a lad in a Boston marathon 2013 hoody with a big wheelie suitcase, he must have come straight there from the race almost!!

Pasta party is down the end and the 4'30 pacer was giving a speech to the crowd. Afraid to say the goody bag is rubbish and on a par with the race series. 500g bag of white rice, small tube of toothpaste, leaflets etc and no can of London Pride :mad:

Also if you are collecting somebody else's number make sure they have signed the declaration form. RQ's wasnt signed, but they had the written letter so they let me off and signed it themselves but meet the wrong person and you might be refused.

If anyone fancies something touristy and cheap head down about 200 yards from the front of the excel and get the Emirates Airline cable car over to the o2 arena, you can get the jubilee line from North Greenwich then to wherever you're going. Pretty cheap (about £4) and has savage views.

4 days to go now everyone, might as well take this chance to say best of luck and see you on the course/the Cole Hole. Any London related questions just pm me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

... and no can of London Pride :mad:

WHAT!!!111!1!1! :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad:

Where do I file my complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

robinph wrote: »

*dispatches Brian to Tesco to buy a tray of them*

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Brianderunner/RobinPH
    I think I speak for everyone when I say thanks for all the info over the past few months re. start lines,hotels, transport, expo etc
    All really helpfull stuff.

Its great to have a good idea where im going when I get there. Mind you I have no doubt I will manage to get lost at somestage.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

Agree. The info here has been a huge help. Thanks a mill for all the help. All thats needed between now and Sunday is the list of top ales to sample after the race (and what ones to avoid!!!):)
    Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

They were giving out free shots of it at the London Pride stall though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dubrunner2013

Hi,
    Just signed-up to Boards.ie, seems like a good buzz on this forum, and a good few travelling over for the big race. Have found it quite a usefull mine of information.
    Am running on Sunday myself, my first overseas marathon, have done the Dublin City marathon twice.
    Anyone that has run London before, is it a fast course i.e. flatter course than Dublin??
    It would be cool to join in the post-race celebrations afterwards. Hope latecomer Boards.ie members are welcome :-)
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Hi,
    Just signed-up to Boards.ie, seems like a good buzz on this forum, and a good few travelling over for the big race. Have found it quite a usefull mine of information.
    Am running on Sunday myself, my first overseas marathon, have done the Dublin City marathon twice.
    Anyone that has run London before, is it a fast course i.e. flatter course than Dublin??
    It would be cool to join in the post-race celebrations afterwards. Hope latecomer Boards.ie members are welcome :-)
    P

Don't worry, they'll take anyone ;)
    But you must get a more creative username :rolleyes:
    Best of luck on Sunday.

• Advertisement

I think London is pretty flat, the route was designed to keep as close to the Thames as possible whilst still taking in a few interesting sights along the way and so be a fast course. Dublin has more noticeable hills, although my stats from GPS logs of the two courses suggests that there is less elevation gain in Dublin. :confused: London feels flatter though.

It is a fast course though, you have a lot, lot more people to run with. That can be good or bad depending on what your aims are.

All are welcome at the pub afterwards of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Gona jump on the bandwagon and wish you all the best of luck this weekend. Great city, great people, great craic, great boozer (the coal hole), great marathon full stop. I'm very envious. Enjoy and hope it goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks to Brian & Robin for all the info :) Best of luck all, hope we get our goals and have a great weekend.

P.S. Weather looks to be pretty much perfect for the whole weekend! http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/london

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Best of luck to all doing this. Hope ye have a great race and look forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks to Brian & Robin for all the info :) Best of luck all, hope we get our goals and have a great weekend.

P.S. Weather looks to be pretty much perfect for the whole weekend! http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/london

+1 ^^

I'd be tearing my hair out without the info you guys have given so thanks a million for helping to keep the stress levels down a bit!!!:D
    Catch up with you all at some stage over the weekend, if not before then after!!!

Go get it guys & gals!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Very best of luck to everyone on Sunday, hope all goes as planned or preferably even better!

Coincidentally will be having a bit of a jog around the Leipzig marathon myself at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck to everyone on Sunday. Give it socks. You too Opus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck to everyone taking part on Sunday! Hope you have a great time and with the disappointing and tragic marathons last weekend, third time's bound to be a charm!

Any list available of numbers versus boardsies names and a link to a tracker??
    I'll be rushing to the nearest interweb fandangle to find out how things are going immediately after the Wexford Half Marathon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I put a link to the tracker up a few days ago, should only be a couple of pages back. Wouldn't rely on it working though, London trackers don't tend to offer much success.

• Advertisement

Link to the tracker.
    Not sure if this will work on the day but you can track runners HERE

Please don't track me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

my number is 55881,

I hope the fact i'm being tracked will help me keep it right...although i've been told, go out too fast and i'll get a virtual kick up the ass, by one Boardsie, and been told by another that if i slow up too much i'll get one too...so i think i may hope i won't be getting my ass kicked on Sunday:rolleyes:

http://lrn.london-marathon.com/london-marathon-set-raise-100000-boston-fund/
    VLM wrote:
    London Marathon set to raise $100,000 for Boston fund

The Virgin London Marathon has announced today that it will donate £2 for every finisher in Sunday's race to The One Fund Boston set up to raise money for victims of the explosions there earlier this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Great idea. Anyone start carb loading yet ,? I started in January so hope I will be ok. Back still giving me hassle do I don't know where I am at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Younganne wrote: »
    my number is 55881,

I hope the fact i'm being tracked will help me keep it right...although i've been told, go out too fast and i'll get a virtual kick up the ass, by one Boardsie, and been told by another that if i slow up too much i'll get one too...so i think i may hope i won't be getting my ass kicked on Sunday:rolleyes:

Younganne 55881
    Marthastew 29371

:)If only somebody running London was good at making tables;)

London Marathon Tracker
    boardsie|Race Number|Target Time|Actual Time
    Younganne|55881||
    Marthastew|29371||
    robinph|31011|< 2:55|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

London Marathon Tracker
    boardsie|Race Number|Target Time|Actual Time
    Younganne|55881||
    Marthastew|29371||
    robinph|31011|< 2:55|
    menoscemo (incognito)|31754|< 3:04|

Go on so. Don't think sub 3 is quite on yet, but I'd be disappointed not to get well under 3:05.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Someone put me in for 2.59.....unlikely but see what happens.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Marthastew wrote: »
    Younganne 55881
    Marthastew 29371

:)If only somebody running London was good at making tables;)

Woooo we can start together and then you can leave me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Good luck to all for Sunday.

Advertisement