Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

Great running everyone! Fabulous times. Enjoy the drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Younganne wrote: »
    Didn`t quite go to plan for me today. I was in trouble from 15m eith d legs but was still hopeful of a small pb. By 22 m i was concentrating on finishing. Found last few miles very difficult but i have d medal now. In pub now with all d elite boardsies. Wow ders some amt of sub 3 lads here. ;-)
    Well done Anne :) I was tracking you up to halfway and I thought you were pacing it beautifully. Pity the legs weren't co-operating today but you ran a great race anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Younganne wrote: »
    Didn`t quite go to plan for me today. I was in trouble from 15m eith d legs but was still hopeful of a small pb. By 22 m i was concentrating on finishing. Found last few miles very difficult but i have d medal now. In pub now with all d elite boardsies. Wow ders some amt of sub 3 lads here. ;-)

They'll be under the table after 3 as well - so go easy on them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Would be nice to get some drinking updates similar to the 5k split times earlier.

Have KC and Kiely let go of one another's hands yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Needless to say, didn't go to plan for me. Lost the head before I even hit 15 miles and there was no way back for me. Shocking result, couldn't even muster a sub 3:30 or a pb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Great running from boardsies. Some pretty good pacing too. Was tracking Paul Pollock - thought that with a bit better pacing he might have gone comfortably under 2:15 but an initial 10k of 30:54 saw him slow down steadily from half way. Krusty's (and I assume Kiely's) pacing by contrast was impressively metronomic.
    Pisco Sour wrote: »
    A few world records broken, namely the fastest man to run a marathon in a nurses costume (2:42) and the fastest man to run a marathon in a suit (2:48). Think the other lad is well off the pace in the panda category though.

Somebody's made a mistake about the 'suit' one. This guy did 2:35.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

We finished together but its not like we held hands or anything.... Oh wait a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

3:01:28 for me yesterday-5 secs quicker than last year.was on for sub 3 till after the 35k mark but just couldn't keep the pace going.Got very warm around midday.decision time now,will it be third time lucky or will I try something different next spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Peckham wrote: »
    Would be nice to get some drinking updates similar to the 5k split times earlier.

I think we have the new boards glamour couple;)

London certainly lived up to its name as one of the world's best marathons and I had an amazing day. I found it tough going from about 15 miles and I honestly couldn't have gone a single second faster. I fell over the finish line in a heap and it was a miracle I managed to claim the new household PB (by 3 seconds), not so sure Mr S will appreciate the fact that it's now in print for everyone to see:)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/london-marathon-lifts-spirits-after-events-in-boston-1.1367921?page=1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Very happy with my time from yesterday, getting a pb by just over 2 minutes, awesome support all the way round, perfect weather, great beer afterwards.

Was very annoyed to see the crazy "priest" hanging around at the entrance to the good for age start pen. So went and pointed him out to a couple of coppers that there was a court order banning him from any sports events after he fecked up the Olympic marathon in Athens and the Silverstone grand prix. Hopefully they arrested him.

I had set out with the approximate aim of 2:53,but it was not a real target I cared about, just so that I had some vague concept of times written on a pace band on my wrist. I just ran along at what felt like a comfy speed, but not caring too much how much I varied. I knew all along that another sub 3 was going to happen so was just a question of by how much. The running was fine all the way, but I got some serious pain in my side from about 15 miles due to what I'm now certain is a cracked rib from last weekends drinking in Prague. Was hurting to breathe, but that served to hide the pain in my legs, by the time I was running along the Embankment I was not having a fun time, but wasn't going to let a bit of trouble breathing stop me from carrying on at that point.

I will be back again to knock off some more minutes, if I ever do any more training or not is another matter. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

And how are all the heads and legs this morning after yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

chinguetti wrote: »
    And how are all the heads and legs this morning after yesterday?

Sore ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bigslice

Well done everyone in London yesterday.

The two lads from our running group, Blayney Rockets, finished in 2.49 and 2.53, so well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

:D
    robinph wrote: »
    Very happy with my time from yesterday, getting a pb by just over 2 minutes, awesome support all the way round, perfect weather, great beer afterwards.

Was very annoyed to see the crazy "priest" hanging around at the entrance to the good for age start pen. So went and pointed him out to a couple of coppers that there was a court order banning him from any sports events after he fecked up the Olympic marathon in Athens and the Silverstone grand prix. Hopefully they arrested him.

I had set out with the approximate aim of 2:53,but it was not a real target I cared about, just so that I had some vague concept of times written on a pace band on my wrist. I just ran along at what felt like a comfy speed, but not caring too much how much I varied. I knew all along that another sub 3 was going to happen so was just a question of by how much. The running was fine all the way, but I got some serious pain in my side from about 15 miles due to what I'm now certain is a cracked rib from last weekends drinking in Prague. Was hurting to breathe, but that served to hide the pain in my legs, by the time I was running along the Embankment I was not having a fun time, but wasn't going to let a bit of trouble breathing stop me from carrying on at that point.

I will be back again to knock off some more minutes, if I ever do any more training or not is another matter. :D
    Sure who needs to breathe?! Highly overrated that breathing lark!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Bahanaman wrote: »
    :D
    Sure who needs to breathe?! Highly overrated that breathing lark!!

And it's all the rage. You should see em over at Letsrun. It's breathe this and breathe that.

FFS, we never hardly used to breathe back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

The wifi was a bit dodgy for live updates, but I posted a report here.

For a bunch of 10 stone weaklings ;), some of the lads could really put the beer and whisky away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Badreputation

What a marathon. Unbelievable atmosphere and organisation. The support and friendliness of the crowd during and after made a lasting impression. Didn't happen for me today (just under 3hr 17min) as I struggled over the last 10 miles but glad I finished it. Some amazing times here... well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

The weather forecasters got this one wrong and instead of 12c, temps were definitely in the high teens by midday. Not that we could have done it differently anyway :rolleyes: target was 3:30 and crossed halfway in 1:44.56 , and was still on target ( with zero wriggle room :o) at 20 miles. The inevitable cramping then arrived and the last 4 miles were a real struggle. At least managed to keep moving and crossed the line in 3:34.52. A 10 min PB and I'm very happy with that. Got badly sunburned on forehead, face and shoulders. Took water on at every water station and polished off two more bottles immediately after the race, yet I passed brown urine afterwards:eek:. What a great day and both the sun and the crowds came out in force. Thanks to village runner for arranging accommodation ( and race entry for some) for 13 people. Left Meno in a state of satisfied inebriation at apt yesterday morning (we had early flight) - hope you were out by 10am Niall and kudos on superb time - Brian will be in Gfa next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Great race and atmosphere. The city of London put on a show. I'd well recommend this race to anyone to do.

I'd no idea how I'd go after missing 6 weeks run training and only getting back running 3 weeks earlier. I was feeling fit but not sure how run fit as only had the Raheny 5 mile as my only race in the build up. My plan was to try to beat my 2:59:00 PB. Condtions were perfect with a sunny cool day but the temp did rise as the day progressed. Managed to get sun burnt shoulders and neck, forgot sun cream.. amateur mistake.

Started in the good for age pen and got a clean start and didn't feel congested at all. I'd hope to follow the 2:59 pacers but couldn't find them. When the various starts (red,green & blue) merged at mile 3, the pacers appeared from other start line... But felt good and decided to run on own without the pacers. Plan was to run steady till half way and see how I felt. Half in 1:28:50, so next was to maintain concentration and get to 20 miles in contention and then go with everything.

The huge crowds all along were amazing, music bands of all types, cheer leading sections. It really helped when you were feeling the pace of the race to get you through. By mile 19, I was feeling relatively good and was keen to push on sooner, so I did. I started to pass lots of runners, people I hadn't seen since mile 1-2, and really gave me a lift. By mile 23 I passed a crazy Welsh man in a mankini which was a relief to pass! I wasn't paying must attention to my pace at this stage, rather just running as fast as I could. I knew at this stage I was inside my PB and was just trying to catch the next person. Felt great to make the right turn at Big Ben knowing the finish line was in reach, then onto the Mall. A sprint to the line got me 2:57:57 which I'm delighted with. The 2nd half was 27 seconds slower than the first although it felt as though I was running quicker (passing people, etc). With a full training plan I believe I can go quicker but that's the challenge for the next day.

Met Krusty, ronnie085, Pronator and KielyUnusual as I made way from the baggage trucks. Happy salt encrusted faces with PBs all round. Savage times really.
    I've never seen someone so quick to get back on booze and fags as Krusty. Who had "special occasion" beer and new pack of fags retrieved from his drop off bag! Then off to the Coal Hole and a good night with fellow boardies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

wideball wrote: »
    ...By mile 23 I passed a crazy Welsh man in a mankini which was a relief to pass!

I saw him at the FGFA start and was hoping I'd not see him again, but then caught up with him about mile 23 as well. That gave me the incentive I needed to put the foot down a bit and make sure that he didn't appear in any of my photos.

• Advertisement

Great running wideball - all that aquajogging paid off!

I saw him at the FGFA start and was hoping I'd not see him again, but then caught up with him about mile 23 as well. That gave me the incentive I needed to put the foot down a bit and make sure that he didn't appear in any of my photos.

Thought you liked getting your photo taken at marathons with people in skimpy clothing? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Well done to all, lots of extremely impressive runs and times.

Its a great race, the support was unreal and the whole set up and course route and how they look after the runners was really good - I'm definately going to try do it again.

I thought the minute silence at the start was very well done and was very emotional.

(Only small downer was the finishing tee shirt , which I have to say I thought was pretty crap.)

My own race went .....as should have been very predictable.
    The calf pain which has stopped me running the previous two weeks (and which I was still iceing like a lunatic on Saturdy night) got very sore at about mile 7. Went into survival mode from about 10 and from about 15 miles stopped every water station to spray water on it to keep me going to the next.

3.15 was my final time but to be honest I stopped looking at the watch from a long way out and spent most of my time just calculating how long it would take me to walk the remaining miles to the Mall at a push if I completely broke down.

Did spend much more time than usual looking around , high fiving kids and taking it all in then I usually do , and that was nice.

lex

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I thought London was a fantastic (though a little painful) experience. I missed my goal time by 1 second, but still got a pb of 4mins 20 secs, so all in all I'm delighted. Couldn't believe the support from the crowds, marshalls etc. It was overwhelming :) Will definitely be back for more.
    (Only small downer was the finishing tee shirt , which I have to say I thought was pretty crap.)

I forgot about that, and I agree with you, it's crap. 1 size fits all in a manky colour. But, for what we paid in entry fee, I don't feel hard done by :)

I don't have a problem with the tshirt for London considering the price that the race is to enter and it has to be about the cheapest marathon about, and by far cheaper than the entry for the likes of NY or Boston. I did think that the designs of the tech tshirts that they had at the expo were all a bit rubbish though, I still bought one.

I was given a Lucozade wrist band at the finish and told something or other about top 10%. Seems that they will send you a free tech top if your time was good enough so for more marathon freebies try here http://www.lucozadesport.com/top10percent/ and submit your race number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭plodder

I was given a Lucozade wrist band at the finish and told something or other about top 10%. Seems that they will send you a free tech top if your time was good enough so for more marathon freebies try here http://www.lucozadesport.com/top10percent/ and submit your race number.
    That's a very good idea. It'd be nice to see them recognise the top 5%, top 1% etc as well. I've always thought Dublin should do that with different coloured medals or something for good times (say 3:00 and better)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Great running wideball - all that aquajogging paid off!
    Cheers, boring as hell at the time but worth it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Some amazing results on Sunday by lots of boardsies, congrats to all who ran. I hope the recovery is going well. It was great to meet up with so many of you in the Coal Hole afterwards. A very, very long-winded rambling report of my race can be found over on my log;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056509699&page=74

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I don't have a problem with the tshirt for London considering the price that the race is to enter and it has to be about the cheapest marathon about, and by far cheaper than the entry for the likes of NY or Boston. I did think that the designs of the tech tshirts that they had at the expo were all a bit rubbish though, I still bought one.

That's super.
    Now all i have to do is get Brian to order it for me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Hi guys, couch potato lurker here but followed the thread throughout and thought i'd stick a little thank you in here for providing me a full day of entertainment checking on times and cheering random people i've never met :)

Was willing you all towards the times you wanted, well done :)

Ps. Just a question for the girls here, because as a guy this really looked so strange ....but what do ye make of Katharine Jenkins running the marathon with her full make-up on, with Prada sunglasses and diamond ear-rings? From a lay perspective i would have thought the last thing you would want is a caked layer of make-up on. Admittedly she covered the route in 5 hours 20 but still would seem to me a bit of a silly thing to do! Mind you there were people dressed as gorillas so i suppose..... :)

Advertisement