Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2013

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Hi guys, couch potato lurker here but followed the thread throughout and thought i'd stick a little thank you in here for providing me a full day of entertainment checking on times and cheering random people i've never met :)

Was willing you all towards the times you wanted, well done :)

Ps. Just a question for the girls here, because as a guy this really looked so strange ....but what do ye make of Katharine Jenkins running the marathon with her full make-up on, with Prada sunglasses and diamond ear-rings? From a lay perspective i would have thought the last thing you would want is a caked layer of make-up on. Admittedly she covered the route in 5 hours 20 but still would seem to me a bit of a silly thing to do! Mind you there were people dressed as gorillas so i suppose..... :)
    I suppose it's a tough one for celebrities, if they don't wear make up, they'll be in every paper in a 'look how crap they look without make up' kind of way and then if they do run with makeup on, they get slagged for treating it like a fashion show. I think for the most part, celebrities run it for charity and as a PR exercise, therefore they have to look good. Katherine Jenkins looked like she barely broke a sweat during it, which looking at her time, makes me think she deliberatley took it easy to avoid being papped as a red, sweaty mess. A couple of the other celebs (Amy Childs and Sophie Anderton) ran it in 5:45 and 6:57 respectively, so again, that looks more like a PR exercise than anything.

Then there were a few celebs that seemed to run it flat out (Harrry Judd and Sophie Raworth) and at the end, they looked like most people would who had just run a marathon! No make up, prada sunglasses or diamonds in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Irishman99

Another note on Katherine Jenkins was the earphones, listening to her ipod or whatever!
    Does anyone know the rule about that, i presumed that they were totally banned?
    And it's not just the celeb/charity runners. I started in the GFA pen and after about half a mile a guy with earphones in cut across a crowd of runners, nearly knocking one over.:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I didn't see any of the other celebs finishing in the coverage, but the news reader Sophie Rayworth wasn't made up. Whilst a "celeb", her celebrity is not as a model though so possibly not as much of an issue for her as for a singer, actress or model. But although she didn't run this year, Nell MacAndrew certainly doesn't do makeup on her runs and her celebrity is due to looks... she is also very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Thoroughly enjoyed the London experience. Its a phenomenal event and im sure to be back soon.
    Happy with a 2 min PB despite expecting more of myself. Im going to go along with the weather excuse and say that it did effect me somewhat. I didnt leave anything out on the course on the day so Im happy with that aspect of it.

Great running by those mentioned earlier, some amazing times. Im not going to single folk out.

Very nice to meet all of you, ye are a decent bunch in fairness :D

RQ - must have missed you at hyde park on Monday morning, lovely morning for a jog so it was......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ps. Just a question for the girls here, because as a guy this really looked so strange ....but what do ye make of Katharine Jenkins running the marathon with her full make-up on, with Prada sunglasses and diamond ear-rings?

not true by the way. There was an article slagging her and she responded
    Jan (Moir), I wish you love & happiness in your life. I adore & support other women and I only wish you could do the same. I ran on Sunday in memory of my father & to raise money (£25,000) for an excellent charity (@macmillancancer) who helped him when he was dying. Yes, I twittered about it but I did so to share my progress & day with those kind people on twitter who had supported & sponsored me. I ran in sunglasses because it was sunny. I tied my hair back in a pony tail because I expected to sweat. As if you had some insider knowledge you wrote I was wearing eye shadow, eye liner& lip gloss. Wrong again - none of the above - I had Vaseline on my lips, handed to us by St Johns Ambulance on our way round the route. You can knock me all you like but you cannot take away from me what I know I accomplished last weekend. Next time you run a marathon Jan, I will be the first to sponsor you, because I know how much guts, hard work & determination it takes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Without knowing too much about these things(!) I find it amusing that the article can blabber on about both wearing sunglasses the whole way round and the use of 'run-proof mascara'.
    Surely they had no way of telling if she was wearing mascara given they couldn't see within an asses roar of her eyes!

But then again we've already wasted too much time already talking about a Daily Mail hackjob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ps. Just a question for the girls here, because as a guy this really looked so strange ....but what do ye make of Katharine Jenkins running the marathon with her full make-up on, with Prada sunglasses and diamond ear-rings? From a lay perspective i would have thought the last thing you would want is a caked layer of make-up on. Admittedly she covered the route in 5 hours 20 but still would seem to me a bit of a silly thing to do! Mind you there were people dressed as gorillas so i suppose..... :)

That story was completely rubbished by Jenkins herself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hi guys, couch potato lurker here but followed the thread throughout and thought i'd stick a little thank you in here for providing me a full day of entertainment checking on times and cheering random people i've never met :)

Was willing you all towards the times you wanted, well done :)

I've been known to turn up to morning training sessions or morning races with make up on. That's cos I didn't take it off the night before though. :D

Thanks to those on here who were tracking the race and sent messages of concern by the way. Meant a lot on a bad day.

EauRouge - we must have been in different parts of Hyde park wha? See you there next year, 9am. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I've been known to turn up to morning training sessions or morning races with make up on. That's cos I didn't make it home the night before though. :D

Easiest FYP ever!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Bit late to the party but just catching up on all the reports, some great running (and ahem drinking) done, congrats everybody and great meeting everybody after

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

robinph wrote: »
    I was given a Lucozade wrist band at the finish and told something or other about top 10%. Seems that they will send you a free tech top if your time was good enough so for more marathon freebies try here http://www.lucozadesport.com/top10percent/ and submit your race number.

Just got my freebie tshirt through the post from Lucozade, not a bad top actually for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

robinph wrote: »
    Just got my freebie tshirt through the post from Lucozade, not a bad top actually for free.

me too! Arrived in the post this morning along with a gel.
    Thanks for that link Robin:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Marthastew wrote: »
    me too! Arrived in the post this morning along with a gel.
    Thanks for that link Robin:)

+1 thanks for the heads up Robin. Got mine a few days ago. Still wearing my armband too. I don't think it's ostentatious enough though:rolleyes:

I have some tshirts from another half I've done a couple of times that have "Top 50 Athlete" printed in big letters on the front, but I've never worn those without a running jacket over the top as they just seem a bit to shouty to me.

The "top10percent" on the back of the Lucozade ones are a bit less "look at me I'm great" though so I think I am happy to wear it out in public when running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

It's definitely wearable in public. It's more like a slogan rather than explicitly saying you finished in the top 10 per cent of an event. 'Top 50 athlete' might be taking things a step too far alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'm going to cross-post this discussion to the Ballycotton thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm going to cross-post this discussion to the Ballycotton thread ;)
    I wear both of my Ballycotton t-shirts (not at the same time). To be honest, unless you actually had one of them, you wouldn't know what (or how much!) it signifies as they're pretty non-explicit, and most people wouldn't have heard of the race, or know about the quality of the field. There is something pretty fantastic about earning one though and I still wear them with a bit of guilty pride.

One ironic point: This year it was a technical top, unlike last year's cotton t-shirt, but they only seemed to have them available in size 'large'. How many of the top 100 finishers do you reckon are a 'large'? I'd guess about 5 runners!

Advertisement