Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Do we really need dozens of posts saying "I just entered"?
    Ok, apparently we do. I just entered. :D

Actually, getting in next year wouldn't suit me at all. The idea is that I won't get in but gain Karma points for 2014 when it might suit me better ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Hmmmm to enter for GFA or not!! I said i was done with marathons for the next two years but its enticing me like a kebab shop after a feed of pints:)

Go into that kebab shop before you sober up:) You never know what the criteria might be for 2014.

I'm definitely entering a GFA having tried the ballot three times.
    I'm also convinced that they will eventually make the UK address much harder to prove and we won't be able to use someone else's address, surely by now they're wondering how so many people live at Brian's address??

London will be my last Marathon Major after New York this year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Do we really need dozens of posts saying "I just entered"?
    Ok, apparently we do. I just entered. :D

Actually, getting in next year wouldn't suit me at all. The idea is that I won't get in but gain Karma points for 2014 when it might suit me better ...

I just entered ;);).

As with others here entered the Overseas Ballot and, using my sister's Fife Address, entered the UK ballot (with the donation to charity etc).
    Bit concerned about having used the same DOB on both. Dope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

The 2013 online ballot is now closed
    We're sorry but the online ballot for the 2013 Virgin London Marathon is now closed. If you've already entered the ballot, we’ll let you know in early October whether you've been successful.

http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/marathon-centre/enter-virgin-london-marathon/

Online ballot closed. Good luck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Entered earlier managed to find a friend with a UK address. So my name is in the hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

less than 12 hours. Must be a record

less than 12 hours. Must be a record

Most definitely a record, unbelievable how fast it filled.
    I called Mr Stew in work to tell him not to forget to enter as it fills up fast, he rang me at 5.45pm after a hectic busy day, horrified that it was closed:(.
    I usually have no probelm being proven right but this is one of those times I did not do the "I told you so dance". He'll just have to enjoy it from the sidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭seanin4711

didn't have the necessary details to register for a NI address went on now and low and behold.
    I am totally sickened.
    Really thought I could get in this year but it seems to be more diffcult than the Galway 5km series :rolleyes:
    bugger it
    London you can keep your jog!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Used a friend's UK address this morning to register for the ballot. Fingers crossed :)

seanin4711 wrote: »
    didn't have the necessary details to register for a NI address went on now and low and behold.
    I am totally sickened.
    Really thought I could get in this year but it seems to be more diffcult than the Galway 5km series :rolleyes:
    bugger it
    London you can keep your jog!
    Used a friend's UK address this morning to register for the ballot. Fingers crossed :)

For a mod, you really know how to rub it in:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's 15 of us now regisered at Brian's address by my reckoning. Hopefully they don't twig. :D;)

For a mod, you really know how to rub it in:)

It's alright, I'm not an A/R/T mod :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's 15 of us now regisered at Brian's address by my reckoning. Hopefully they don't twig. :D;)

My flatmate is applying for GFA as well in 2013. Dodge city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

My flatmate is applying for GFA as well in 2013. Dodge city :D

Got the brothers address for this. So ill apply GFA.

Brian, seeing as the rest of them took advantage of your good nature to get your address. Any chance of a room for the night next April! I wont even bring the kids......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Just wondering if people have received a confirmation email yet? No sign of mine.

dev123 wrote: »
    Just wondering if people have received a confirmation email yet? No sign of mine.

Check your spam folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

Check your spam folder.

Bingo.

Thanks RK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I see the GFA dates are posted. Is there a form to be filled out, or do you just send Proof of Performance and Proof of age? How do they know where you live? :confused: Do you just stick your return address on a piece of paper?

I see the GFA dates are posted. Is there a form to be filled out, or do you just send Proof of Performance and Proof of age? How do they know where you live? :confused: Do you just stick your return address on a piece of paper?

How do I apply?

To apply for a good for age entry, you'll need to send us the following:
    • Proof of performance
      A photocopy of your running results, for example a certificate or newspaper clipping. The results will need to be from a marathon completed in 2011 or 2012.
    • Proof of age
      A photocopy of your photocard driving license, passport or birth certificate.
              Or alternatively
                photoshop!

How do I apply?

To apply for a good for age entry, you'll need to send us the following:
              • Proof of performance
                A photocopy of your running results, for example a certificate or newspaper clipping. The results will need to be from a marathon completed in 2011 or 2012.
              • Proof of age
                A photocopy of your photocard driving license, passport or birth certificate.
                        Or alternatively
                          photoshop!
                        Yes, I read that. It doesn't .answer my question though. How do you provide your address? Just write it down on a piece of paper? I'm sure they don't want thousands of people providing scrappy bits of paper with addresses scrawled on them.

• Advertisement
                      • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Yes, I read that. It doesn't .answer my question though. How do you provide your address? Just write it down on a piece of paper? I'm sure they don't want thousands of people providing scrappy bits of paper with addresses scrawled on them.

AFAIK - and from previous recently successful applications in the GFA, you don't supply "proof of address" - you just fill it in on the application form. The turn around time for some of the return dates for applications to be filled in is quick enough in the GFA so I suppose their way of proving address is that the application actually gets back to them ...

So I would avoid putting the address of that abandoned farmhouse on the Shetland Islands as your address :D

Think the bottom line is - get the GFA time, get/borrow a live UK address, and get the form filled in and posted to them ASAP.

Hope that this helps....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is no form to fill in. All I sent in was a print out of my certificate from DCM and another of my driving licence which showed the UK address and date of birth.

Do not use an Irish driving licence though. Send them a copy of the proof of time, a copy of your passport and a note with "your" UK address on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭corkrunner71

might be a stupid question but are ye sending the initial paperwork (photocopy of passport & proof of time) from Ireland or have ye arranged for it to be sent from the UK. Surely the postmarks from Ireland would be a giveaway to the organisers. I know they send out some form to the UK address which will need to be returned quickly. But just wondering if they would weed out a lot by checking the original envelopes ?

might be a stupid question but are ye sending the initial paperwork (photocopy of passport & proof of time) from Ireland or have ye arranged for it to be sent from the UK. Surely the postmarks from Ireland would be a giveaway to the organisers. I know they send out some form to the UK address which will need to be returned quickly. But just wondering if they would weed out a lot by checking the original envelopes ?

Good question, hadn't thought of that, Mr Stew is in London regularly for work so I'll get him to post mine from there. If anyone else is stuck PM me and I'll get him to post yours also

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not certain on the post mark or stamp issue. I'd guess that the person opening the envelopes wouldn't know the difference.

robinph wrote: »
                        There is no form to fill in. All I sent in was a print out of my certificate from DCM and another of my driving licence which showed the UK address and date of birth.

Do not use an Irish driving licence though. Send them a copy of the proof of time, a copy of your passport and a note with "your" UK address on it.
                        See I was going to send in proof of my time and my birth cert (plastic paddy), neither of which have my *cough* postal address. I guess I'll just add a brief letter with my contact details. Seems like a silly oversight on their part.
                        so I suppose their way of proving address is that the application actually gets back to them ...
                        If you don't give them your address, how do they know where to send out the form so you can fill it out? I'll just stick it on a piece of paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I posted an envelope within and envelope to my sister in law in Liverpool. Copy of passport and certificate from Dublin last year as proof of time was enclosed.

I stuck in a £10 sterling note and asked her to post it from Liverpool to London by registered post. I will ask her to do the same again when she receives the entry form in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Does anyone know how quick they post out the application from the time they the letter ? 4th time doing it. For all ye London virgins ye are in for a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dubrich

Forgot to apply for this.

any european marathons that stand out as being better for a sub 3.10 time between beginning of june and july 13th? which of Cork or Newry are better timewise? Thanks

• Advertisement
                      • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

Just applied for a charity place with UNICEF! Lets hope my post-college internship holds weight with the selectors :-p

Advertisement