Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Marathon 2013

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just received my confirmation of a place back from them. :D:D:D

Now to try and find my chequebook and send them my £28.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

arrrrggghhh. Come on London. Gimme my form....i have no patience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

robinph wrote: »

You owe that course one nxt yr

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

robinph wrote: »

£28??? My entry cost me £32. Bloody rip-off. :)

After the IMRA Wicklow Way Ultra, it's the cheapest long distance race I've entered. Filled in my form last night. Very specific on their cheque demands aren't they?! Sterling cheque, drawn down from a UK bank, with the runners registration number, name and address on the back. Irish Sterling bank drafts need not apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

all going well, my confirmation will arrive at brother in law's home in Norn Oirland ( UK !) while I am on holidays. I've agreed he'll call me when (if !) it arrives ....but is there much by way of form filling ore xtra documentation requiements that i should be prepping for him before I go ?
    (Or is it just a matter of sending the cheque..?)
    Cheers
    Lex

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You need the cheque and your signature, the rest of the form will be stuff he can figure out like 'his' address as yours and your date of birth etc. It does also ask for your best time and predicted time.

Lex Luther wrote: »
    all going well, my confirmation will arrive at brother in law's home in Norn Oirland ( UK !) while I am on holidays. I've agreed he'll call me when (if !) it arrives ....but is there much by way of form filling ore xtra documentation requiements that i should be prepping for him before I go ?
    (Or is it just a matter of sending the cheque..?)
    Cheers
    Lex
    Name
    Address
    Date of birth
    Affiliated club
    Payment amount
    Marathon PB
    Marathon Goal time
    Daytime telephone number
    Home phone number
    Signature
    Date of signature

Leave the club bit blank I think, unless you want to risk them spotting you as being an non-UK-ishian type person.

If you are registered with an NI club of course you get the cheaper price entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Name
    Address
    Date of birth
    Affiliated club
    Payment amount
    Marathon PB
    Marathon Goal time
    Daytime telephone number
    Home phone number
    Signature
    Date of signature

Careful now, don't put in an Irish phone number or mobile number

Remember that you are UK residents people.

They don't care about your nationality for the GFA entry, just where you live, so don't make any silly mistakes. The sub2:45 championship entry you would have to be eligible to compete for the UK but they wouldn't care where you live.

• Advertisement

Down with that sort of thing! :D

Well seriously, if you fail that test, do you really deserve a place in the London marathon? It's like The Great Escape, when the Gestapo agent wishes the British soldiers 'Good Luck' as they're boarding the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Well seriously, if you fail that test, do you really deserve a place in the London marathon? It's like The Great Escape, when the Gestapo agent wishes the British soldiers 'Good Luck' as they're boarding the bus.

All of this hood-winking for application is putting Ballycotton in the ha'peny place.
    I might crack, I can't handle the lies....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just realised reading one of marthastews posts that I should really have been on top of this. Seems like too much effort. Maybe in 2014...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Just realised reading one of marthastews posts that I should really have been on top of this. Seems like too much effort. Maybe in 2014...

but all the really fun people are doing it in 2013;)

Marthastew wrote: »
    but all the really fun people are doing it in 2013;)

Evidently not. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Why? You have 4 days to get the form in. Email me your ID and finisher cert and i'll drop them down to the office in SE1 for you.

It's just me and RK using my address, no biggie to include you.

Why? You have 4 days to get the form in. Email me your ID and finisher cert and i'll drop them down to the office in SE1 for you.

It's just me and RK using my address, no biggie to include you.

Ta' I'm meant to scan in my ID for something else as well. Still seems like a lot of effort to go downstairs. :)

Don't be so lazy. Get that entry in, then we can start figuring out the important things like which pub to go to...

GFA form received and returned. Woohooo...looking forward to this experience.

• Advertisement

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    GFA form received and returned. Woohooo...looking forward to this experience.

From joy to panic in an instant....oh god where will I get accomodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Where would be the best area to stay in?

I don't know London at all, but looking at the map and booking.com, I am thinking of staying in Belgravia, near to the finishline. Would it be easy enough to get from there to the start on the morning of the marathon via tube or train, or would staying in Greenwich and near the startline be a better option?

I'd suggest it's best to stay somewhere near the finish. You want as short a distance as possible to get back to the hotel afterwards, and unless Brianderunner takes us on a tour of London again afterwards then you will more than likely be close to the pub. :D

It is simple to get to the start from pretty much anywhere using the tube and surface trains. They have extra services on, and they start earlier in the morning, and you get on for free with your race number. If you are near one of the main line stations then you'll have very little issue getting there.

So, where's the finish? Probably a little optimistic to be booking accommodation, before we know if we'll have successfully gotten into the race. Any idea when/how we might find out?

Thanks for that robinph! Close to the finishline it is so.

So, where's the finish? Probably a little optimistic to be booking accommodation, before we know if we'll have successfully gotten into the race. Any idea when/how we might find out?

Finish is on the Mall, near Buckingham Palace. If you make a hotel reservation through booking.com you don't pay anything upfront, and can cancel without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

You already have your race number so you are in.just ring with your race number nxt week to see if they received it back. We booked two apartments back a few months ago. 12 of us going. 11 of us to run and all of us got in. Apartments at eArls court road the mansions . Sick of the hotel thing. Nice to bring over your own grub and eat your normal breakfast

You already have your race number so you are in.just ring with your race number nxt week to see if they received it back. We booked two apartments back a few months ago. 12 of us going. 11 of us to run and all of us got in. Apartments at eArls court road the mansions . Sick of the hotel thing. Nice to bring over your own grub and eat your normal breakfast
    Cheers VR. Will go ahead and book something so. I agree with you about the hotels, but I have the option of a nice 4* hotel just beside the finish line with a pool/sauna etc for two nights for €90, which is hard to pass-up. I'll call over to your for breakfast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Cheers VR. Will go ahead and book something so. I agree with you about the hotels, but I have the option of a nice 4* hotel just beside the finish line with a pool/sauna etc for two nights for €90, which is hard to pass-up. I'll call over to your for breakfast. :)

What hotel is that? We have the option of staying with a pal in Richmond but we'd stay the night if it has a pool and is €90.
    Count us in for breakfast though:)

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    What hotel is that? We have the option of staying with a pal in Richmond but we'd stay the night if it has a pool and is €90.
    Count us in for breakfast though:)
    Well, it's not entirely straightforward. I'm using hotel reward points. Even if I have to buy additional points for cash and then subsidize with add additional cash, staying in the hotel is significantly cheaper than paying website rates (Hotels.com is quoting €859 for the two nights in the same hotel as compared to $110 plus 20k hotel points). Hotel reward points are excellent for staying in big cities during marathon weekends, as they are not affected by increased demand or spiraling prices.

Advertisement