Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people like singers just because they are "good looking"?

Options
  • 24-04-2012 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

I don't get this at all? It's Bressie mania at the moment, and hardly anyone is talking about his music, it's "I'm going to see Bressie, he's a ride".
    No mention of going to listen to his music? I don't get it at all........:pac::pac:

Not picking on him (more power to him!), but I just cannot get my head around this type of thing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

sure most cant go to a concert either unless they have others coming with them!
    Again, a factor in deciding on whether to goto a concert or not that has nothing to do with liking the music

Crazy that you would decide not to see a great band because your mates have bad music taste or other plans, but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

He looks like a steak!

"I'll get you into the studio. We'll lay down tracks in the studio. The studio. The studio...did I mention the studio?!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

seachto7 wrote: »
    I don't get this at all? It's Bressie mania at the moment, and hardly anyone is talking about his music, it's "I'm going to see Bressie, he's a ride".
    No mention of going to listen to his music? I don't get it at all........:pac::pac:

Not picking on him (more power to him!), but I just cannot get my head around this type of thing...

It is called the music industry, and it has always been the same. Do you think that all the screaming teenage girls you see on film footage, at a "Beatle's" concert for example, were there for the music ???? Same for the likes of "Boyzone", though they needed to be good looking, because to the casual listener, their music meant nothing. :pac:

Besides, generally these fans will have the artist's music, and will have listened to it at home, in the car, etc., and possibly discussed it too. By going to a concert they literally want to see him/her. Nothing wrong there. Everyone enjoys the concert in their own way.

The music industry is only concerned with making a profit. Whatever sells, is what they'll go with. They know that a good looking male or female is going to generally attract more punters. Is this fair ? Absolutely not, but "fair" and the music industry dont go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I like a few singers that happen to be hot, of course I go to their gigs for the music, but getting to look at a hot person on stage is a welcome bonus.

Also, just being in a good band adds at least a 2 to a persons score on the hotness scale :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'm just glad the singer in my band's a ride :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Because they're idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I suppose I've been known to watch films because some ride of an actress was in it, or watch a music video for the same reason. It's kind of sad but that's the way the world works.

I think girls take it to the extreme though. I know girls who almost cream themselves at the thought of Bressie. The funniest of all though is the girls who show an interest in rugby for 2 months of the year during the 6 Nations.

They are there to watch Tommy Bowe and Rob Kearney and that's it. They couldn't tell you how many points you get for scoring a try or any of the rules. It's ridiculous to see some of the girls I know feign an interest in the sport because it's the cool thing now. God help them if Tommy or Rob ever gets injured and can't play.

Thankfully most of the artists I like are all male so I don't have any problem falling into the trap of liking them because of their looks.

What I find more worrying is the complete obsession some teenagers have with One Direction and Bieber. I know it has been going on for years but with Twitter I think it has gone to a totally different level. I pity the parents of them kids. They must be driven up the walls when a concert is announced or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Its just the reality of the music business, especially in pop music. Promoters will do anything they can for their products to reach a wide audience and appeal to the masses.

To promote a rising star who is "good looking" is a lot easier than selling someone that the masses wouldn't find attractive but is still a talented musician. When sex is used in music videos and when the star makes a set of provocative poses in photo shoots it helps to stimulate interest, get people talking about the artist and the rest is history.

A large percentage of the musicians I listen to are female so I find it as tempting as does anyone else to be carried away by their looks. I also watch films with actresses I happen to find infatuating - Zooey Deschanel is a great example.

In a perfect world, musical talent would be valued more than looks by everyone in society, but we don't live in a perfect world, now do we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I suppose I've been known to watch films because some ride of an actress was in it..........

This is something I just don't get. You would watch a heap of sh*t of a movie just because someone in it was good looking? Is that not a waste of 2 hours of you life?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

has anyone seen this ?

http://www.justinbieberzone.com/2011/04/justin-bieber-marry-me-a-girl-wearing-a-wedding-dress-at-jb-concert/

marrymebieber.jpg

A 13 Year old girl in a wedding dress holding a sign saying Marry Me at a Justin Bieber concert.

No I won't comment. I be just a mere man therefore I know absolutely nothing about females lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

seachto7 wrote: »
    This is something I just don't get. You would watch a heap of sh*t of a movie just because someone in it was good looking? Is that not a waste of 2 hours of you life?:confused:

Why waste your life trying to figure out why people are wasting theirs ? :D

Why the need to "get it" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Rigsby wrote: »
    Why waste your life trying to figure out why people are wasting theirs ? :D

Why the need to "get it" ?

true true :(:(

Advertisement