Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does this dress suit 4 a wedding?

• 24-04-2012 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

heart-detail-dress-174416_634568651456552577.jpg
    Hi, i know its a cream dress but if i have shoes and bag in darker colour, is it ok? i just think id get loads of wear out of it compared to other dresses!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Even though i think the "no white to a wedding" rule is a bit silly, MOST people do adhere to it and that goes for offwhite/cream etc. Its quite short and its all cream...so if you're going to follow the rule...its a definite no regardless of what your accessories are like.

Cute dress though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Do you mind if I ask where the dress is from? :)

IMO, it's too cream for a wedding. Regardless of what accessories and the length.

ETA: Oh, Ted Baker! It's gorgeous :)

It's too cream - particularly if the bride is wearing ivory. And regardless of colour, imo, it's too short for a wedding.

Lovely dress though.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭user37

Ted baker!!! it is in red as well but i thought it was to strong on a colour!

i was going to put a thin belt with it was well??

Even with a belt, it's too cream.

Don't want to sound harsh but there are so many other colours that you could wear, it would be nicer of you to leave the whites/creams for the bride for that one day :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Certainly not too short for a wedding - what's that all about?

As for the colour? you'd get away with it BECAUSE it's so short.
    Colourful shoes would help.

We call anyone that turns up in white "the stunt bride"
    If the bride is unable to fulfill her duties the "stunt bride" must step in!!!
    :D

I don't think that's a very nice attitude to have.

Seriously, there are a million other colours you could possibly wear, leave the cream/whites for just that one day. It won't do you any harm and you won't look like you're trying to be the 'stunt bride'.

And there you have it.

That sort of bitchiness is the reason to avoid this colour at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Its ABSOLUTELY STUNNING in red!! I much prefer it over the cream and more colour appropriate for a wedding.

heartdetaildress1744116.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Go with the red OP, it's far nicer in that colour anyway. Wearing a cream dress to a wedding when you yourself are not the bride is not on, so unless you have an extremely hard neck, and don't care about the bride's feelings, find another colour to wear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Definitely not on to wear white or cream to a wedding. I'd go for the red version but can see where others are coming from in terms of length, might be a little short for a wedding

Definitely not on to wear white or cream to a wedding. I'd go for the red version but can see where others are coming from in terms of length, might be a little short for a wedding

I agree about length but was thinking after that the model is probably about 5'10" so if I was wearing it, it would probably be a reasonable length. Depends on OPs height.

The red is FAB!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

The red is gorgeous..... *wanders off to Ted Baker*

I don't think it's too short for a wedding... if you're comfortable and look good, then why not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭duracell_bunny

I have to say that I generally wouldn't wear a white/cream dress to a wedding but I got married very recently and a girl wore a completely white mini dress to my wedding. She didn't look anything like a bride and I wasn't offended at all so I think it depends on how relaxed/uptight the bride is!!

However, I do think the red is much more stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

I actually prefer the cream but definitely not for a wedding, it's way too similar to a bridal colour. The red is really lovely too though, and far more appropriate for a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fatfacee

Nope. I wouldn't go near white or cream dress unless your the bride. The red is stunning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's a beautiful dress, but I am a little concerned about the length. If it is that short on you, then it's not suitable for a church event. If the length is better on you, then you could get away with it, but I'd recommend tights.

A wedding is a tricky thing fashion wise - you want to wear something fashionable and pretty, but you've also got to be aware of the religious aspect and the fact that there are a wide mix of people at a wedding. (It's not a nightclub or evening party).

Still though - gorgeous dress.

dudara wrote: »
    you've also got to be aware of the religious aspect

To be honest, the religious aspect of a wedding or other event would have no bearing on my choice of outfit. I wear what I feel comfortable in, and don't think showing an extra inch or two of leg will offend anyone. The neckline of the dress is very high so I think she can get away with the length.

My sole concern would be the colour... the red is stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

tatumkelly wrote: »
    To be honest, the religious aspect of a wedding or other event would have no bearing on my choice of outfit. I wear what I feel comfortable in, and don't think showing an extra inch or two of leg will offend anyone. The neckline of the dress is very high so I think she can get away with the length.

I think when you're invited to an event that is something you should be aware of.

It completely depends on the type of wedding the OP is going to but I'd agree that the dress is a little too short to be appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

It's a lovely dress but personally I'd be uncomfortable wearing cream/off white to a wedding.
    It's the bride's day and it's her colour.
    Save the dress for a party or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

tatumkelly wrote: »

I beg to differ - just like you would dress for a job interview, so you should dress for attending a church event (assuming a church wedding).

BTW - I'm not religious, but I do believe that you dress for the occasion.

dudara wrote: »
    I beg to differ - just like you would dress for a job interview, so you should dress for attending a church event (assuming a church wedding).

BTW - I'm not religious, but I do believe that you dress for the occasion.

I do dress for the occasion, but I think that being in a church isn't what it used to be. I certainly wouldn't suggest wearing a 'going out' style dress for a wedding, but I think showing a bit of leg is a lot more appropriate than the countless women who wear backless/low cut dresses to weddings.

Sorry for dragging thread OT. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

It certainly is NOT inappropriate to wear because of some "religious aspect"
    I never heard such bullcrap

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mooeygooey

It's stunning in either colour. You couldn't but look great in either one. The bride mightn't thank you for it though!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

Am i the only one that thinks its perfectly fine to wear to a wedding both cream colour and length!

Have been to plenty of weddings, i wore a white dress with black acessories/belt etc and was at one last summer where a girl wore short white dress not a bit of heed passed. If your wearing a belt and different coloured shoes then perfect!

Gone are the days when you cant wear white/cream to wedding (as long as the style isnt like a wedding dress). I think a bride will have more on her mind.

Go for it OP i would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

The red is wayyyyyyy nicer. The cream is so, I dunno, common? Those cream dresses are everywhere at the moment. Sick of them. Plus I wouldn't wear cream to a wedding!

On me it would be way too short for a wedding but it depends on your height! I work in a hotel that holds weddings so see them every weekend and I always think girls who wear short dresses at them look really tacky. And it's nothing to do with the church. Weddings generally have a smart dress code and short dresses don't cut it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Stunning dress, I love it in both colours. I would prefer the cream, but I would agree that cream is not suitable for a wedding. You might have a relaxed bride who wouldn’t mind, but even the most sane of women can turn into bridezillas on their wedding day, so why risk it! I think you might also get a few dirty looks and whispers from guests. All in all, it’s just not worth the aggravation, just go for the red, it is stunning too.

I really do not think this is too short for a wedding, if it was low cut or tight round your bottom then maybe, but this floaty style and high neckline is fine. I guarantee you won’t be wearing the shortest dress on the day! Also, the model is 5ft 10, so if you are shorter than that then the dress won’t be as short.

Advertisement