Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin not collected. Rubbish service from whelans.

Options
  • 24-04-2012 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone else had issues with their bins not being emptied recently? I rang Whelans but there is nothing they are prepared to do and the next collection is two weeks away and I am now left with a full household rubbish bin which will be quite nasty after a month!

The bin was left out in its usual spot where it has been collected from before with a valid in date sticker yet the "rubbish" collectors left it behind. The woman I spoke with told me there is no way it will be collected now until Friday week even though the price goes up every month! What a lousy service!

For anyone else looking for alternatives for refuse collection in Carlow I found AES or Wastepal which I have been in contact with to see about changing my service provider!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

There is a new collector due to enter the carlow area in the next month or two. They have just started in Kilkenny and seem very well priced. Think they are called "country clean" or something like that.

I dont have anny major issue with ray whelans other than they leave my bin anywhere but near my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i'd never heard of wastepal until now, and I see they offer a compost bin as do AES, but are at least €5 per month dearer than my ray whelan collection, i can live without the compost bin for that extra €60 a year in my pocket.

i've had no collection issues with whelans either, except once where I left the bin half way down the drive and forgot to leave it outside the gate, that was my fault so really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

patrickc wrote: »
    i'd never heard of wastepal until now, and I see they offer a compost bin as do AES, but are at least €5 per month dearer than my ray whelan collection, i can live without the compost bin for that extra €60 a year in my pocket.

i've had no collection issues with whelans either, except once where I left the bin half way down the drive and forgot to leave it outside the gate, that was my fault so really.
    For me the Wastepal pay per lift option is far cheaper than the always increasing whelans charge of €18.50 a month, I have a small bin. I wil pay €39 service charge for the year or €3.25 monthly, then €8 x 12months for the 140l household bin and €3 x 12months for the 240l recycling bin

AES charge €320 yearly for the small 140l bin and are dearer for pay per lift because of their massive yearly service charge while whelans are €222 at the moment for the 140l small bin but will probably increase again next month and Wastepal with the pay per lift will cost €171

Wastepal dont list Carlow on their website tho ?

foggy_lad wrote: »
    For me the Wastepal pay per lift option is far cheaper than the always increasing whelans charge of €18.50 a month, I have a small bin. I wil pay €39 service charge for the year or €3.25 monthly, then €8 x 12months for the 140l household bin and €3 x 12months for the 240l recycling bin

AES charge €320 yearly for the small 140l bin and are dearer for pay per lift because of their massive yearly service charge while whelans are €222 at the moment for the 140l small bin but will probably increase again next month and Wastepal with the pay per lift will cost €171

I just pay the 18.50 per month with whelans, I was an Aes customer for years and I wouldn't go back to them for if they gave me a free collection, too many issues with them. that's interesting about wastepal, I havent seen them about yet have they started operating in Carlow yet?

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    Wastepal dont list Carlow on their website tho ?
    If you click on the sign up link on the bottom of this page(not the very bottom but where it says "To switch to Wastepal today, sign up here") https://www.wastepal.com/about it shows a map of Carlow Wexford Waterford and Kilkenny which can be chosen to order a service.

Will check that out thanks foggy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Whelans are a bit of a joke.

Our bins are emptied on Fridays and the house two doors up gets emptied on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

My neighbours and I take turns in taking our rubbish to the rubbish dump once a fortnight , it saves a fortune , but they have a minimum weight , so it's better to do it with a few people(neighbours)

patrickc wrote: »
    Will check that out thanks foggy
    Just got a letter today from wastepal saying they are not in my area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Has anyone else had issues with their bins not being emptied recently?

No, they have been collecting later than usual recently but they always collect.
    The woman I spoke with told me there is no way it will be collected now until Friday week even though the price goes up every month! What a lousy service!

That is complete rubbish!!
    Ray Whelan significantly dropped his prices recently. It was €30 per month not too long ago if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 keithshirley

At the moment I can only say I'm very happy with them. I left out a huge amount of recycling (cardboard etc) last week and they took it all. It was enough that I couldn't fit it in the back of my van and though I'd risk leaving it out for them and take the leftovers to the recycling centre. Whelan's took it all.

It was after 6 when they arrived - normally it 2.

ShayK1 wrote: »
    No, they have been collecting later than usual recently but they always collect.

That is complete rubbish!!
    Ray Whelan significantly dropped his prices recently. It was €30 per month not too long ago if I remember correctly.
    It has not been that high in quite some time but appears to be creeping up again after a large drop in price when they stopped the weekly collection! In the last 4 months my monthly charge has gone from €16.50 to €17.50 now €18.50 and it may be going up even more soon.

Are there any other cheaper refuse companies serving Carlow Town area apart from Whelans and AES who seem to nearly match each other for pricing? Do Oxigen collect in Carlow?

[QUOTE

Are there any other cheaper refuse companies serving Carlow Town area apart from Whelans and AES who seem to nearly match each other for pricing? Do Oxigen collect in Carlow?[/QUOTE]

Not that i ve seen or heard of, Greenstar operate in Carlow but only for commercial waste, i rang them and the lady told me they were not planning any domestic service for the town.

Country clean are planning to expand into Carlow once they have gotten their Kilkenny service up and running tho

[QUOTE

Are there any other cheaper refuse companies serving Carlow Town area apart from Whelans and AES who seem to nearly match each other for pricing? Do Oxigen collect in Carlow?

Not that i ve seen or heard of, Greenstar operate in Carlow but only for commercial waste, i rang them and the lady told me they were not planning any domestic service for the town.

Country clean are planning to expand into Carlow once they have gotten their Kilkenny service up and running tho[/QUOTE]
    Not sure how their exclusively pay by kg system would work, it might work out expensive?

I am just hoping now that whelans empty my recycling bin tomorrow, I have left it in the same place as usual and the valid sticker is clearly visible!

I am just hoping now that whelans empty my recycling bin tomorrow, I have left it in the same place as usual and the valid sticker is clearly visible!

well mine was collected and they even left it within driving distance of my house

Maybe i should've tipped them at xmas:D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

little bit of subject.... but anyone every had the problem of neighbours leaving bins outside there house night before collection and next morning some of there rubbish blowing down the street and into my garden? Anything that can be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

It has not been that high in quite some time but appears to be creeping up again after a large drop in price when they stopped the weekly collection! In the last 4 months my monthly charge has gone from €16.50 to €17.50 now €18.50 and it may be going up even more soon.

To be fair, it probably has a lot to do with the ever increasing price of fuel.
    It can't be cheap to keep those trucks running.

Sure if we 're gonna bitch about Ray Whelans , heres another gripe :D

My bins have gone from €16.50 pm to €21.50 pm in what seems like only a couple of months yet my number of collections has gone from 4x refuse and 2x recycling to 2 of each monthly. So as i see it im paying more for 1/3 less.

Collected this morning no problem and they were early again after a few weeks of very late collections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭tom traubert

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Whelans are a bit of a joke.

Our bins are emptied on Fridays and the house two doors up gets emptied on Wednesday.

The people who live near boundaries always feel that someone's taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lemai

This has happened to us on several occasions and whenever we ring the same person! tells us she either can't get in contact with the drivers or she can??
    And this afternoon got a note stuck to the bin saying the charges are going up.....
    Not surprising really, it is Ireland!

and the price for bin collection is going up again

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

godwin wrote: »
    My neighbours and I take turns in taking our rubbish to the rubbish dump once a fortnight , it saves a fortune , but they have a minimum weight , so it's better to do it with a few people(neighbours)

Whats the minimum weight?

and the price for bin collection is going up again
    The 240L is now €23/month and the 140L is €20/month, an increase of €3/month or almost 20% increase. also if it is supposed to be a pay by weight system how can they justify €23 for 240L and only a €3 reduction for 100L less.

They have been increasing the price of the smaller bins a lot more than the larger bins to make up for the number of people changing to the smaller bins to save money.

The 240L is now €23/month and the 140L is €20/month, an increase of €3/month or almost 20% increase. also if it is supposed to be a pay by weight system how can they justify €23 for 240L and only a €3 reduction for 100L less.

They have been increasing the price of the smaller bins a lot more than the larger bins to make up for the number of people changing to the smaller bins to save money.

Ray Whelan isn't pay by weight, he was supposed to but last time i asked in their office the idea was binned.......................get me coat

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

I've never had any collection problems with Whelans. I suspect any price increase will be coming from the Council upping charges again.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Be well and win

charges have gone up because the landfill charges have gone up. Have to say I rarely have an issue with Whelans

True there is rarely an issue but they and all other companies should refund half a months service charge for every collection missed or skipped. If they can do it within a day or three grand but not any longer.

Also they are still the cheapest in town mysc cheaper than that semi-state aes operation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Whats the minimum weight?

It's €20 for 120kg which is'nt bad , especially if you can segregate your waste and use the €2 facility to get rid of carboard, glass etc.
    I think I might have a chat to my neighbours about this. Or what about a Carlow Boards Bin Club? :D

http://www.carlow.ie/environment/Pages/waste-facilities.aspx

Advertisement