Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recycling is a Waste of Time

• 24-04-2012 11:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Recycling is a Waste of Time

Saw a doc recently, could be lying here also, could have either heard it on the radio, saw it on the TV or a little birdy told me, take your pick.

Recycling V's Population Growth.

In a nutshell the world has recycled 10% of it's stuff
    but the population growth has increased by 12% hence all the recycling has been cancelled out.

Not to mention it's just another scam Ireland got sucked into by the EU.
    Once we don't reach our recycling targets by 2020 the EU will fine us / each country that's in the EU.

Discuss Engage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no it's not.

that is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You just made all that up to troll us didn't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    In a nutshell the world has recycled 10% of it's stuff
    but the population growth has increased by 12% hence all the recycling has been cancelled out.

These figures have nothing to do with each other in weather or not recycling is worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    Once we don't reach our recycling targets by 2020 the EU will fine us / each country that's in the EU.
    Yes, its another underhanded EU trick so they can take our money.
    This one seems to have backfired though:
    http://www.edie.net/news/news_story.asp?id=14458&title=Ireland+smashes+packaging+recycling+targets
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recycling_in_Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i think if you just posted 'recycling sux balls' i would have respected you more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I have no idea how you have concluded that recycling is a waster of time.

I'd suggest a further explanation detailing your work because to me it seems your math is a bit off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

try and look it up, I neither knew what to type or search google for in this research. The person I was listening to was not joking, did not have the piss taken out of him by it's counter arguers and put a really good point across.

a point I can neither reply with or tell you what is was, but it was genius and all made alot of sense.

Hopefully someone in AH can pull up the source of this from somewhere.

Think about it though, makes perfect sense really doesn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Kind of, most stuff does not get recycled, it gets downcycled. The glass you put in a bottle bin will never be used for bottles again, but usually lower grade use like road filler or aggravate. Even most scrap metals go into lower grade produce, your car will have very little recycled metals in it.

The same with plastic and paper, the shiny stuff we buy is all bran new. But it does have an economic value and it creates employment. But your green bin contents will be sorted, crushed, put in containers, trucked then shipped to China, then, trucked, shipped back etc, etc.

The carbon expenditure of recycling is huge, but it keeps our landfills empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

sweet mary mother devine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Sources or GTFO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I recycle but the OP is right. It's going to take a bit more than a few do-gooders taking their bottles to a bank to have any significant effect on the planet.
    We consume far too much, that's the problem. Recycling is like trying to clean up a city destroyed by a nuclear bomb with a dustpan and brush.
    We all need to stop buying so much crap, constantly. Stop eating so much meat, stop consuming so much. But this goes against the capitalist way. Therefore the world is f**ked. Greed conquers all. Just give up and enjoy yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just burn all your waste and put whats left in the black bin , recycling is ghey anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you know we have a Sustainability & Environmental Issues forum on boards?
    Try there and see if they agree with your findings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement