Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game.co.uk - Still trading, refunded me, didnt give me all the money.

Options
  • 24-04-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Ordered something on Game.co.uk, but accidentally ordered the wrong version (bought ps3, needed xbox) and cancelled it less than 20 minutes after paying. I was charged, but also refunded, but they refunded me less than I paid.

I paid 18.25 but only 17.55 was returned. This is what my statement says:
    15/03/12 GAME DIGITAL 18.25dr
    16/03/12 GAME DIGITAL 17.55cr

I know its a matter of cents, but its also principle. Ive been in contact with them, but they are requesting copy of my bank statement! Can they do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

Did you pay in £ out of a € bank account?

The exchange rates have probably changed, they have probably refunded the same amount as you have paid in £ but you bank has give you the latest rate, different to when you paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

All Euros. Dont think it has to do with the exchange rate, it should have been same day rate, and even then theres no way the market fluctuation was that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

How did you pay in € on a £ UK website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All prices on the Game website are in £ Sterling, and the difference in your order and refund date can clearly be seen as 1 day between them. The difference is obviously the exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jor el wrote: »
    All prices on the Game website are in £ Sterling, and the difference in your order and refund date can clearly be seen as 1 day between them. The difference is obviously the exchange rate.

Even if the transactions were on the same day, seconds apart, they might have different exchange rates, since the EUR/GBP rate would not be exact inverse of the GBP/EUR rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭matchthis

had something similar with paypal. The difference was the currency conversion from £ to €. It was lost as the conversion was done and wasn't park of the refund.
    If you bought from game in the uk, they may have done this

I think thats the case. Annoying though to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Africa wrote: »
    I think thats the case. Annoying though to say the least.

Buy from an Irish store, then.

RangeR wrote: »
    Buy from an Irish store, then.

Seriously? GTFO of my thread with that advise...

My question here is; do they have the power to request my bank statement, which they are, in this case? Surely that is private information.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Seriously? GTFO of my thread with that advise...

My question here is; do they have the power to request my bank statement, which they are, in this case? Surely that is private information.
    Of course they can request it, you don't have to give it to them. But equally, they can just say "ah well, probably the exchange rate so"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Seriously? GTFO of my thread with that advise..

Reported

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Africa Please do not tell posters to "eff off".

dudara

dudara wrote: »
    Africa Please do not tell posters to "eff off".

dudara

I think it was warranted. That was hardly advice, and deserved a reply like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I think it was warranted. That was hardly advice, and deserved a reply like that.

And the next time you question a moderation instruction on thread will be the last time you post on that forum.

Advertisement