Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collection agency

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

He would have acknowledged his debt and his fault in it

Thats the thing, its not a debt. He found the charge unreasonable and extortionate as he did not take the exams or hand in the project.

Some people don't have ways with words or see how prickish they can come across on here. He is new and I have basically summed up what he is getting at above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Night_Shade

I emailed the University explaining things and they've agreed to clear all of the debt as I didn't sit the exams.

A load of worry over nothing:p Thanks for advice in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Glad you got it sorted.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I emailed the University explaining things and they've agreed to clear all of the debt as I didn't sit the exams.

A load of worry over nothing:p Thanks for advice in this thread.

Great news. I'm glad you got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

As I and a few others thought. Great to hear, I didnt think they had any entitlement to the money anyway as you didnt get what you had paid for. Simple as that. Turns out to be true :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,415 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Africa wrote: »
    As I and a few others thought. Great to hear, I didnt think they had any entitlement to the money anyway as you didnt get what you had paid for. Simple as that. Turns out to be true :P

This is blatantly false OP and be very careful in the future.

Do not leave this thread thinking that just because you didn't avail of the service does not mean you need to pay for it.

UCD were entitled to the money but decided to let you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

noodler wrote: »
    This is blatantly false OP and be very careful in the future.

Do not leave this thread thinking that just because you didn't avail of the service does not mean you need to pay for it.

UCD were entitled to the money but decided to let you off.

Sweet Jesus. Noodler, this is some very basic contract law here. Its been outlined several times. You don't understand/care, fair enough, but don't sum up the thread from something its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Linoge wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus. Noodler, this is some very basic contract law here. Its been outlined several times. You don't understand/care, fair enough, but don't sum up the thread from something its not.

He's correct though. Unless the Ts&Cs don't support it, by making the service available the college has fulfilled their side of the contract, regardless of whether OP arrived for the exam or not. If you want the terms to be declared unfair then I'm pretty sure the SCC cannot do that, and you'd have to go to the High Court, which OP clearly isn't going to do, so in reality he'd have to be championed.

That isn't to say that the college "shouldn't" have waived the fee as they have, I absolutely think they should have and am glad to see they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OP - I'm delighted to hear that you've been able to close the matter. The major lesson here is not to ignore debts, but instead deal with them. In your case, you had a very successful outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,415 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Linoge wrote: »

I am not sure which thread you have been reading but its been clearly outlined that just because you don't available of a service you ordered does not mean you do not have to pay for it.

Don't kid yourself that the OP was legally entitled to have this debt cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Robbie220

I need a debt collector. i did a job at a agreed price with the builder and he wont pay me now. does any one know one ???

Advertisement