Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised flower bed

• 24-04-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Looking too build a raised flower bed in the back garden to do a bit of plating carrots etc and I am looking for something that looks like railway sleepers to get for the edges, anybody know a good place to get these?I am in north dublin.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kopkidda wrote: »
    Looking too build a raised flower bed in the back garden to do a bit of plating carrots etc and I am looking for something that looks like railway sleepers to get for the edges, anybody know a good place to get these?I am in north dublin.

8 foot long Pressure Treated railway sleepers for 18 euro new in Grange Builders Providers,Baldoyle.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Pressure treated carrots - yum!

:rolleyes:

cnocbui wrote: »
    Pressure treated carrots - yum!

:rolleyes:

Pressure treated can be used to grow veg.Absolutely nothing wrong with using PT Sleepers for veggie beds.

The pressure treated sleeper method is perfectly safe for veg growing as the regulations were changed a good few years ago,to eliminte potential carcinogenic elements,and a new eco friendy and food safe PT process allows for this matter.

Maybe you should research the matter a little more.;)

You cannot use old creasote railway sleepers though,for very obvious reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Given the colour of the timbers in the pic, I had thought it might be creosote, hence my comment.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Given the colour of the timbers in the pic, I had thought it might be creosote, hence my comment.

No they are not creasote.

Wouldnt even dream of using old creasot sleepers for a veggie bed,for obvious reasons.

These are old reclaimed (creasote) beds built by my girlfriend.
    Only for flowers and plants though.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement