Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious road crash on Ballytruckle Rd

Options
  • 24-04-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭

Emergency services are at the scene of a serious collision on the Ballytruckle Road in Waterford CityThe road is closed between the traffic lights at Johns Hill by the Mansion House and the top of Poleberry.Motorists are asked to avoid the area. The road will be closed for some time.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/149473.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭sonyvision

heard from the nans sister "she lives on that part of the street" that it involves a person walking out under a truck, cannot give proof of this yet no details released.

lets hope shes wrong because that would be extremely serious :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

sonyvision wrote: »
    a person walking out under a truck

< shudder >

I hope you're wrong... :(

That always struck me as a dangerous road, though not so much for pedestrians, as for just driving along. There's not enough room for two cars to pass safely at normal speed, so you have to slow right down. Usually though, the other fcuker doesn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I heard similar. Fatality involving a pedestrian and an articulated lorry.

I heard similar. Fatality involving a pedestrian and an articulated lorry.
    Not the first time it happened,
    remember top of keens road involving a defo old woman walking between the cab and the trailer.

thoughts are with the families of the pedestrian and also the truck driver involved.
    The trucks have massive blind spots and on such a small road it was only a matter of time till something happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 niamhy_dee

Yeah it was an articulated truck alright. Was passing there earlier and they had a tarpaulin rigged up at the side of it. Terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I just heard it on Today FM, sent a shiver up my spine. Like someone else said thoughts are with both the deceased's family and the driver. Can't be an easy thing to live with, no matter how much of an accident it may or may not have been. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

horrible way to go thoughts are with the family of the person and i feel sorry for the driver this could end his career as a truck driver due to post traumatic stress happened an ex work colleague of mine that was involved in a fatal accident. he survived as he was driving the truck and a girl came around a bend near knocktopher and her tyre blew out and went straight under the front of the truck, could'nt get over it and was nervous everytime he went out on the road after that and ended up getting relocated to one of the companies factories

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

horrible way to go thoughts are with the family of the person and i feel sorry for the driver this could end his career as a truck driver due to post traumatic stress happened an ex work colleague of mine that was involved in a fatal accident. he survived as he was driving the truck and a girl came around a bend near knocktopher and her tyre blew out and went straight under the front of the truck, could'nt get over it and was nervous everytime he went out on the road after that and ended up getting relocated to one of the companies factories

Rte are reporting on this also, and have said it was an elderly gentleman in his 80's

Terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What's an artic doing going along that road? If that vehicle was heading to/from the industrial storage units between Cherrymount and Avondale then it should be on the Tramore road/ORR.

The section under the Infirmary is just far too narrow, two cars passing can be a bit dodgy at times never mind anything bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

An elderly pedestrian has been killed in a road traffic collision this morning. The man was fatally injured after he was hit by a truck on the Ballytruckle Road at around ten to 12 this morning. Gardai are investigating and the road has been closed for a Garda Forensic Examination. Motorists are asked to avoid the area, as the road will be closed for some time.
    http://www.wlrfm.com/news-and-sport/waterford-news/149491.html

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 niamhy_dee

It was SuperValu truck so I presume it was heading up to the Hyper.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

niamhy_dee wrote: »
    It was SuperValu truck so I presume it was heading up to the Hyper.

Or centra out in johns park. They deliver there too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Messy sight I imagine. Didnt something similar happen on the quay a few years back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

is there not a 3t limit on this stretch of road..

Often seen trucks on that road and buses,
    Also seen the learning articulate lorry cuming down johns hill too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

mike65 wrote: »
    What's an artic doing going along that road? If that vehicle was heading to/from the industrial storage units between Cherrymount and Avondale then it should be on the Tramore road/ORR
    Or centra out in johns park. They deliver there too!

The truck delivers to the Centra in John's Park, I've seen it go past the Infirmary a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Apparently the chap dropped his paper and when he went to pick it up he fell under the truck.
    Was well known for working within Waterford United by I don't think I know him myself.
    Anyway it's a horrible way to go.
    RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

A family friend and well respected within Waterford United for the work he did there. Lovely chap and will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

A mate of mine was there when it happened, he heard this enormous bang and when he looked around he nearly got sick and there was a person there who did throw up.

Must have been a horrible sight for anyone to see.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

danjo-xx wrote: »
    A mate of mine was there when it happened, he heard this enormous bang and when he looked around he nearly got sick and there was a person there who did throw up.

Must have been a horrible sight for anyone to see.

R.I.P.

My cousin and uncle were there too, saw it all. he said a woman was going crazy screaming coming down the road, he thinks it was a relative of the deceased, please god she didn't see him.

Rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Everyone seems to have it that he fell while crossing the road. One can only hope that he died from the fall and not after being hit by the Lorry

Advertisement