Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wildlife in Towns

• 24-04-2012 1:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭

so was out the front of my house in Dun Laoghaire last night having a smoke minding my own business when i looked up and a monster rat was running towards me, i stamped on the ground to make it **** off away from me, it turned and out of nowhere a fox jumps out and kills it. Was standing there shocked for a few seconds just didn't expect to see that in the middle of a town! anyone else experienced anything like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i once seen a crowd of racoons maul a bear on grafton street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Rats are not "wildlife". Urban foxes are common I lived in the country for years and never in my life saw a fox until I moved to Cork city.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~foxwatchireland/nl23.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Dannyg90

what about the fox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

FatherLen wrote: »
    For us culchies.Is that slang for Northsiders vs Southsiders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

mackg wrote: »
    Rats are not "wildlife".

well, they are hardly domesticated pets are they?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

you're half right. bear is slang for crocodile and racoon is slang for OAP's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Riskymove wrote: »
    well, they are hardly domesticated pets are they?:pac:
    In that case. I just saw a pigeon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Shut up will ya! You want to starting having to pay a Bear Tax?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Dannyg90 wrote: »
    so was out the front of my house in Dun Laoghaire last night having a smoke minding my own business when i looked up and a monster rat was running towards me, i stamped on the ground to make it **** off away from me, it turned and out of nowhere a fox jumps out and kills it. Was standing there shocked for a few seconds just didn't expect to see that in the middle of a town! anyone else experienced anything like this?

Us humans are top of the food chain.

You were supposed to kill and eat the fox.

We are all very disappointed in you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Well I expect the rat was running because of the fox.but yeah foxes are more and more common in urban areas. Cue the foxes eat babies brigade! :eek:
    A fox passed us one night around 2am with a mouse in his mouth,this was on parnell square in dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Saw a fox at the end of Buckingham Street in Dublin one night approx 2 months ago about 8pm when I was going to football, not a bother on him he just walked straight out on to the road. Surprised he didn't go into Lloyds for a swift pint, looked like he had a 'goo' on him :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

wow, you saw an animal! well done! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Here's a lovely giant urban rat that made it onto Sky News....

http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16213384

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Here's a lovely giant urban rat that made it onto Sky News....

http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16213384

That indeed is a very big RAT.

Hopilly that is a freak otherwise they would take over the world, man would not have a defence. So be afraid be very afraid.

I can't get over the dirty ould codger actually handling the monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Man I hate rats, they scare me, I often have to shovel their tattered carcasses off my driveway after one of the cats has made a kill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Why did he kill it? Probably for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Happily, more and more animals are moving into cities to delight us. The "little" bird in this picture http://static.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/huuhkajaetu180411LSS_uu.jpg is one of three juveniles that I saw sitting on the parapet of a balcony in the very centre of Helsinki many times last summer. Once, a police officer advised me not to go too close to the building with my dog, as the parents could easily attack. The fledgling in the picture came to no harm when he flew down into the street and was returned to the nest by wildlife officers. The Finnish ice-hockey team is nicknamed "Huuhkajat" after the birds (Eagle Owls) of which there are about eight nesting pairs within the city limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

nah its a bunch of birds with too much eye makeup taking umbridge to a large gay man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Which grafton street would dat be eh? :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bambi wrote: »
    Which grafton street would dat be eh? :mad::mad:

the only one that matters - dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That must have been one of the rare occasions that a bear didn't sh1t in the woods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

kfallon wrote: »
    Saw a fox at the end of Buckingham Street in Dublin one night approx 2 months ago about 8pm when I was going to football, not a bother on him he just walked straight out on to the road. Surprised he didn't go into Lloyds for a swift pint, looked like he had a 'goo' on him :p

saw a fox on lower gardiner street back (next to railway bridge) in october coming back from a night out about 3am

rats are not wildlife, they thrive where-ever humans congregate in large numbers, the more people the more rats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

wow, you saw an animal! well done! :pac:

Get over yourself.....it was 2 animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I once saw two birds fighting a crow. I don't know who won.

Advertisement