Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prompt for password on deletion of network folders

Options
  • 24-04-2012 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has come across a way to protect a folder from being deleted by prompting for a password?

I have multiple users using a shared network drive, and I while they all need read/write/modify access, I would like to restrict their ability to delete a folder (or only be able to delete with the password)

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Remove the delete permission from everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭joe2687

seamus wrote: »
    Remove the delete permission from everyone.

There is no delete permission. Full control, modify, read, list folder contents, write, write and execute.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Go into the advanced settings for the base folder, set it for the folder only.

If you go into the advanced permissions, you will see specifically a delete permission.

Note however that this applies to the object and not necessarily just a folder. So if you cause this permission to propagate to all files & folders, then nobody will be able to delete any files. This can cause some programs to stop working because they do a "delete & create" routine when saving files.

Mossess wrote: »
    Go into the advanced settings for the base folder, set it for the folder only.

Thanks guys. The problem with this is that if a user creates a folder by mistake, then he/she would not be able to delete it. As you could imagine it would get quite messy after a while!

I don't think there is a way to prompt for a password before deletion - this wold be ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

Ok, this may take you in a completely different direction, but have you considered SharePoint? Stick everything into a list, acts the same for the users as a regular folder (to a large degree) but (this is the important bit) if they delete something it will be stored in the recycle bin. Unlike network shares which permanently delete files. Plus you have the added bonuses of version controls, and lots of other fun tools :) But it may also be a little bit of over kill. Maybe.
    But then again, MS are giving it away free. (although the enterprise version does cost a few euros)

Mossess wrote: »
    have you considered SharePoint?

Yes, we currently have Sharepoint as a document manager for SOME of our files, but not for all. The plan is to eventually migrate fully to this system, but there is a lot of data and very little downtime!

Now that you mentioned it, I know when you delete from a network share it permenantly deletes, but I wonder is there anyway to redirect the delete to a temp folder, pending admin approval or something? This would also do the trick!

joe2687 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. The problem with this is that if a user creates a folder by mistake, then he/she would not be able to delete it. As you could imagine it would get quite messy after a while!

I don't think there is a way to prompt for a password before deletion - this wold be ideal.
    There's a special group called "CREATOR OWNER".

If this group keeps the delete permission, then the person who created the folder will be able to delete it.
    Now that you mentioned it, I know when you delete from a network share it permenantly deletes, but I wonder is there anyway to redirect the delete to a temp folder, pending admin approval or something? This would also do the trick!
    Look up Volume Shadow Copying. This basically creates a snapshot of the drive multiple times per day which can then be easily accessed and restored. They're effectively short-term backups that allow for easy restoration of deleted items.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

I am using a similar system in few places ,where old projects are been archived.
    All users have read-only access while only one IT Admin user has full access to that shared drive in order to execute file operations.

With another words,rather than "redirect" to a temp folder,pending some user to review the change,why not make all "read/change "only and delegate a user to take off unwanted files/folders,as per user(s) request !?
    At the end of the day,somebody still needs to review the process and approve the change,isn't !?

Thanks for the feedback guys - I will look into various methods and post back what I decide to go with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Might also be handy to enable Auditing on the folder but max sure to modify the log file setting and have enough free space to save the logs.
    Thanks for the feedback guys - I will look into various methods and post back what I decide to go with.

Advertisement