Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grammar terminology

Options
  • 24-04-2012 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm learning Slovene at the moment, which has quite a complicated grammatical structure.

One of the problems I'm having is that when I was learning English in primary/secondary school, we didn't really study grammar in any great detail. I know what nouns, verbs, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs etc are, but when it gets more complicated than that I start to struggle. For instance, cases, declensions, clauses etc are all a bit alien to me, and I'd love to learn about them in english, so that I can apply this to Slovene if possible.

Would anyone know of a website or a book that would help me understand grammatical terms in English, before I try and figure things out in Slovene?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

A lot of language books will have some sort of glossary of grammar terms at the front or the back, like the Teach Yourself series.

I know myself, having studied Czech, that a lot of the grammar in Slavic languages (cases, declensions, etc.) generally doesn't occur in English so it can be hard to relate them to someone whose native language doesn't have them. It works the same way for them learning English.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Wikipedia is your friend, I'll just babble on forever ^____^

Advertisement