Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US purchased iPad with AT&T sim

• 24-04-2012 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

I have an iPad purchased in US. It has an At&T simcard.
    Would it be locked to AT&T, or could I purchase a card over here from one of the Irish networks, which would work?
    The iPad was bought in an apple store, without a contract to AT&T.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

Yes should do, just put your Irish sim in and away you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

As I understand it that will be locked to AT&T , they will unlock on request , but you must request !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

andy1249 wrote: »
    As I understand it that will be locked to AT&T , they will unlock on request , but you must request !

Negative. iPads are not locked to any network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's not locked to any network if he bought it in an Apple store. The only differentiator when buying in an Apple store applied to the iPad1 and iPad2, there was a specific model for AT&T and a different model for Verizon but the device wasn't actually locked to either network when you bought it direct from Apple.

Buying for use in Europe or any GSM network in an Apple shop in the US, you had to ask for the AT&T model because the Verizon model didn't take a SIMM. That did not mean that the device was locked to AT&T, the issue was that you didn't buy the Verizon model.

OP, you will be up and running straight away if you just slot in a local SIMM.

Negative. iPads are not locked to any network

AT&T shop in Arizona Mills Mall , on Baseline in Phoenix , they are locked to AT&T in there ! I know this , I was there. Its standard price when locked , extra for it to be unlocked.

I asked while I was in there buying a US sim for my iphone.

Its quite possible just an AT&T store thing , but there you go !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

AT&T shop in Arizona Mills Mall , on Baseline in Phoenix , they are locked to AT&T in there ! I know this , I was there.

'I know this, I was there' - you make it sound like some type of mystical revelation. You bought a device in an AT&T shop and guess what - it was locked to AT&T. This how networks all over the world tie in their customers, they subsidise the phones and sell them at a big discount (in some cases give them away for 'free') to customers who commit to a minimum contract. The bigger the committed spend, the less the customer pays for the phone.

The OP's iPad was bought in an Apple store so it was unlocked. Apple do not retail iPhones or iPads locked into network packages. When you buy an iPad1 or iPad2 in an Apple Store, they call the models which can take a SIMM the 'AT&T' model to distinguish it from the Verizon model as I explained above but purchased in an Apple Store, what you get is an unlocked model.

'I know this, I was there' - you make it sound like some type of mystical revelation.

Dont be such a Drama queen , I quoted what I was replying too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

coylemj wrote: »
    The OP's iPad was bought in an Apple store so it was unlocked. Apple do not retail iPhones or iPads locked into network packages. When you buy an iPad1 or iPad2 in an Apple Store, they call the models which can take a SIMM the 'AT&T' model to distinguish it from the Verizon model as I explained above but purchased in an Apple Store, what you get is an unlocked model.

Ipad's As far as I know Ipads are never locked to any network, it might come with a SIM but only to get you started.
    Iphone's when bought in Apple store (US) can be bought locked with a contract or unlock, Irish apple store only sells unlock Iphones.

Advertisement