Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

go4less j1 visa

Options
  • 24-04-2012 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of getting a J1 visa with go4less. It is not a process I enjoy, I went with them last year and didn't have too much trouble with them (apart from one rather long argument about costs). And I'm going with them again this year.

I booked it on the last week of March. I have booked my flights and paid my final balance. "Stage 4" appeared around 16th April, saying that I didn't need to go to the embassy as I went last year, I just had to wait for my sevis number to fill out my DS 160.

Then today I was told that as I'm a final year student I do have to go to the embassy, and my appointment is not till the end of May!
    Does anyone else that booked around the same time have their embassy appointment this late??
    It's a big problem for me as I was planning on travelling that week (separate to my J1)
    Also, my "stage 3" still has not appeared nor has my sevis number. Anyone have any insight/advice on this??!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of getting a J1 visa with go4less. It is not a process I enjoy, I went with them last year and didn't have too much trouble with them (apart from one rather long argument about costs). And I'm going with them again this year.

I booked it on the last week of March. I have booked my flights and paid my final balance. "Stage 4" appeared around 16th April, saying that I didn't need to go to the embassy as I went last year, I just had to wait for my sevis number to fill out my DS 160.

Then today I was told that as I'm a final year student I do have to go to the embassy, and my appointment is not till the end of May!
    Does anyone else that booked around the same time have their embassy appointment this late??
    It's a big problem for me as I was planning on travelling that week (separate to my J1)
    Also, my "stage 3" still has not appeared nor has my sevis number. Anyone have any insight/advice on this??!

Thanks!

Ring them. Don't wait on email. The SEVIS number may not appear even though its been issued, happened to a mate who rang and it was updated that day.

You could get the embassy date changed? I'd just contest you booked your flights for that week and they should have allowed for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

In relation to the J1 , are the flights with usit cheap ? i went to the states last year and spent a grand going ,im looking to head to florida - have an aunt down there so accommad. is sorted ( if im going) .Plus with work , is it reasonable to say that 2 months at least is what you need to earn decent savings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

In relation to the J1 , are the flights with usit cheap ? i went to the states last year and spent a grand going ,im looking to head to florida - have an aunt down there so accommad. is sorted ( if im going) .Plus with work , is it reasonable to say that 2 months at least is what you need to earn decent savings ?

Flights are all done through a multi agency booking system, so the price is fairly constant across any agent. Your talking €50/100 give or take at most. USIT are, in my experience, more expensive than Go4Less. They have more fee's and add-ons as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mobyx

Hi guys,

I know this is a little off topic, but I was just wondering if anyone knows, if I go on a j1 work visa and end up not working at all while in the US will that affect any future visa applications to the US I might make?

I am asking because I am planning on going and I have a job lined up that would pay cash, which would mean that I wouldn't be paying taxes and therefore I couldn't register the job with the j1 sponsor. So basically, I would be working, but to my sponsor or anyone who looked at my records in the future it would appear that I just lived in the US for 3 months on a work visa, but without working or supporting myself. I know how strict things have gotten so I just wanted to know if it would affect future applications, because I am definitely planning on returning next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

mobyx wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I know this is a little off topic, but I was just wondering if anyone knows, if I go on a j1 work visa and end up not working at all while in the US will that affect any future visa applications to the US I might make?

I am asking because I am planning on going and I have a job lined up that would pay cash, which would mean that I wouldn't be paying taxes and therefore I couldn't register the job with the j1 sponsor. So basically, I would be working, but to my sponsor or anyone who looked at my records in the future it would appear that I just lived in the US for 3 months on a work visa, but without working or supporting myself. I know how strict things have gotten so I just wanted to know if it would affect future applications, because I am definitely planning on returning next year.

Think ya havta go home after a certain amount of time if you haven't registered a job with sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

It could , im not entirely sure , with these program sponsors , the jobs are specific to what the J1 visa allows , so they mightnt agree or that of the authorities in the US ( might see it as tax evasion ? ..)
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It won't matter. I spent two summer J1s unlucky to not have jobs and had no problem receiving the third, fourth or fifth visa :)

Advertisement