Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant women smoking and drinking

• 24-04-2012 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

As its now illegal to smoke indoors in a public place should we also make it illegal for pregnant mothers to smoke and drink alcohol.?
    Going on all the studies suggesting it seriously harms the unborn child.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Absolutely, great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I don't agree with smoking while pregnant, but at the end of the day - it's there body so there choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

No it should be a personal choice. If it's made illegal pregnant mothers will flock to the UK to smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Government control on our private affairs is not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

As its now illegal to smoke indoors in a public place should we also make it illegal for pregnant mothers to smoke and drink alcohol.?

Is it harmful for a pregnant woman to drink alcohol? Obviously, getting pissed out of her head at eight months, yes, but - complete abstinance?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

My mother smoke and drank when she was pregnant and there's nothing wrong with me.

In fact, I quite enjoy my 3rd testicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

How do you propose that bar/off-licence staff police that one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

make it illegal if you want, its not gonna change a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

They shouldn't be allowed have kids at all herp!!

Cut off their hands and sew up their mouths derp!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Yes and when a woman gets pregnant she gets her own personal garda to enforce this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

To be fair if the pregnant woman is smoking, the child is f*cked from the get-go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

While any pregnant woman with sense will not smoke or drink. Outlawing them from drinking or smoking might be seen as a little bit of discrimination

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Is it harmful for a pregnant woman to drink alcohol? Obviously, getting pissed out of her head at eight months, yes, but - complete abstinance?
    Well your now told in maternity hospital not to even have one drink, so thats all i can go on. That even one drink can increase the risk of SIDS. Im 5 months pregnant at the moment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Didn't the Surgeon General recently release a statement that one standard glass of wine would do no harm to an unborn baby?

Too lazy to look for links but I definitely remember there being some discussion about in the Media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

anyways does nobody remember the 80's, all the babys were drunk in the womb in that decade :)

after they ban it, it will be coffee next then fcukin sugar, lets just let people do what they want without making criminals out of them

c_man wrote: »
    How do you propose that bar/off-licence staff police that one?
    Impossible id say, im not saying im in favour of it! just wondering what peoples opinions are!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i am so glad i am a male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

How would this be enforced? I can see many fat women getting offended when being asked to put out their cigarette.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

FatherLen wrote: »
    i am so glad i am a male.

Testicular Cancer.

:(

xzanti wrote: »
    Didn't the Surgeon General recently release a statement that one standard glass of wine would do not harm to an unborn baby?

Too lazy to look for links but I definitely remember there being some discussion about in the Media.
    I think your right i heard that too, but i have been told in limerick Regional not to even have one glass. Im a non drinker anyway, so its not an issue for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

If you handed your three year old a cigarette and put vodka in their juice bottle, you'd get done for child abuse. And a three year old is far more developed than a teeny tiny baby.

I wish that the women who smoke and drink (or are around other smokers) during pregnancy knew better, but as some of them don't give a sh!t about their baby, I think the law should step in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I know it's not exactly easy to enforce, but I think it's pretty ridiculous that our society deems it illegal for a 17 year old to purchase a can of lager, but legal for a pregnant woman to buy 40 Marloro and a bottle of vodka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Imagine if the mammies of Einstein / Da Vinci / Aristotle had known about this information. Their children wouldn't have been such a letdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

LOL
    This will be utterly impossible to enforce, a stupid OP.

Besides smoking is bad for the body, so it is bad for diseases as well.

A womans body a womans right, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I don't think it should be made illegal, no. There's no way to really police it.

Besides, a glass of wine every now and then isn't going to do any harm.

I do think it would be a good idea if the health boards could provide quit-smoking packs and aids free of charge to pregnant women who smoke. Even when pregnant, it's a very hard habit to break.

It is horrible to see heavily pregnant women at the first stages of labour outside the regional in their housecoats smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

chin_grin wrote: »
    Testicular Cancer.

:(

aww no! why?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Im pro-choice.

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    Im pro-choice.

You mean you're pro-SIDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think its one of the most disgusting things in the world to see a pregnant woman smoking, but considering the government already has far too much control on our bodies and especially where pregnancy is concerned , I would never support a law to ban it

billybudd wrote: »
    A womans body a womans right, right?

If it's only affecting the woman, fair enough, but it's not! Everything a pregnant woman puts into their body goes into their baby.

I have known pregnant women to avoid prawns and pate during pregnancy but still get drunk. Fu*king idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Which studies, can you link to them?
    As the latest ones on drinking has said that the occasional drink can infact be good for expectant mothers.

And if they are to be made illegal what would be the punishment for such crimes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Being overweight while pregnant can cause just as many problems for the baby as smoking but I never hear anyone giving out about that.

Binge drinking while pregnant should be easy to police (if it's in a public place) if a pregnant woman seems drunk arrest them, the shame should stop most people.

The thing about binge drinking is that someone could binge drink constantly and have a perfectly fine baby but others might have an odd binge and do terrible damage to the baby.

Tayla wrote: »
    Binge drinking while pregnant should be easy to police (if it's in a public place) if a pregnant woman seems drunk arrest them, the shame should stop most people.

The stress would also bad for the baby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a wan outside a chipper in Galway (back da wesht) and she looked like she was ready to pop and she was puffing away.

Yesterday - Saw a munter in a merc with what looked like a twelve year old in the front seat beside her and all the windows closed and yes she was puffing away too.

Which is worse? Womb or gas chamber?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I don't agree with smoking while pregnant, but at the end of the day - it's there body so there choice
    Ah yes, but they're not just choosing to drink or smoke for themselves now, are they? They're smoking and drinking for two.

Impossible to enforce, but it's irresponsible for a mother that does either or both.

ElleEm wrote: »
    If it's only affecting the woman, fair enough, but it's not! Everything a pregnant woman puts into their body goes into their baby.

I have known pregnant women to avoid prawns and pate during pregnancy but still get drunk. ****!ng idiots.

Smoking is an addiction which is very hard for someone to give up regardless of whether they are expecting or not, there is just no rational thought with smoking.

Dont know why they are banning smoking in places to be honest if its that bad for people shouldnt they ban ciggarettes altogeather?

Sharrow wrote: »
    Which studies, can you link to them?
    As the latest ones on drinking has said that the occasional drink can infact be good for expectant mothers.

And if they are to be made illegal what would be the punishment for such crimes?
    im going on what the hospital says - prob mad to trust them!
    if you use google loads of studies come up, check yourself and pick one

Abi wrote: »
    Ah yes, but they're not just choosing to drink or smoke for themselves now, are they? They're smoking and drinking for two.

Impossible to enforce, but it's irresponsible for a mother that does either or both.

Well seeing as there is no law for abortion and accidents will happen then what choice do they have?

• Advertisement

They would probably err on the side of caution when it comes to pregnancy and possible threats to the child even if it's not agreed upon by the wider scientific community.

Not saying it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Seachmall wrote: »
    The stress would also bad for the baby.

Fetal alcohol syndrome is apparently the most common preventable form of mental retardation in the western world.

Something has to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Don't mind them smoking as barring low birth weight, the baby tends to recover fully from the negative effects after birth. (There's also an increased risk of miscarriage but that's the mother's business as opposed to society's business imo). What I'm not okay with is mothers drinking through pregnancy and then the child and society have to carry the costs of fetal alcohol syndrome throughout the child's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Well seeing as there is no law for abortion and accidents will happen then what choice do they have?
    Don't smoke or drink.

Smoking is an addiction which is very hard for someone to give up regardless of whether they are expecting or not, there is just no rational thought with smoking.

Dont know why they are banning smoking in places to be honest if its that bad for people shouldnt they ban ciggarettes altogeather?
    Disagree i smoked for years and before i got pregnant i decided to give up. just woke up and said thats it not smoking again and havent touched one since. It was extremely easy so i dont believe a pregnant woman cant do it. its purely selfish of them to smoke and be pregnant.
    If its so hard how do the majority of pregnant women quit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Well your now told in maternity hospital not to even have one drink, so thats all i can go on. That even one drink can increase the risk of SIDS. Im 5 months pregnant at the moment.

Bull. No maternity hospital will tell you to abstain 100%, all will advise on the best course of action.

I asked my consultant about this. I'm not a smoker but do drink. I've been too sick to drink at all but she has told me a small glass of wine once a week has no effect. I'm eight months pregnant so I guess that beats your five.

Don't smoke or drink.

Well played!!!!!

Disagree i smoked for years and before i got pregnant i decided to give up. just woke up and said thats it not smoking again and havent touched one since. It was extremely easy so i dont believe a pregnant woman cant do it. its purely selfish of them to smoke and be pregnant

Not everyone is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

if you use google loads of studies come up, check yourself and pick one

so you can't or won't point to any refernces?

http://news.discovery.com/human/alcohol-drinking-pregnant-women.html
    Light Drinking Said OK for Pregnant Women
    While binge drinking is still harmful, pregnant women can safely consume small amounts of alcohol.

Don't smoke or drink.

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement