Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant women smoking and drinking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Abi wrote: »
    Don't smoke or drink.

Or become pregnant while overweight, or gain large amounts of weight while pregnant, make the correct food choices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Disagree i smoked for years and before i got pregnant i decided to give up. just woke up and said thats it not smoking again and havent touched one since. It was extremely easy so i dont believe a pregnant woman cant do it. its purely selfish of them to smoke and be pregnant.
    If its so hard how do the majority of pregnant women quit!

I quit when I was pregnant, but luckily I found it easy simply because even a sniff of an ashtray or cigarette made me want to wretch!

Trying to give up smoking is not as easy for many as it was for you. If it was, everyone would do it. It's a notoriously hard drug to kick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Tayla wrote: »
    Or become pregnant while overweight, or gain large amounts of weight while pregnant, make the correct food choices.

You forgot breathe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Disagree i smoked for years and before i got pregnant i decided to give up. just woke up and said thats it not smoking again and havent touched one since. It was extremely easy so i dont believe a pregnant woman cant do it. its purely selfish of them to smoke and be pregnant.

Exactly. "smoking is addicitive and the hardest thing to give up"...utter rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'm 'avin a faaaaaaaaaaag!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

When my wife had our first child I had to push her out to the smoking area in a wheelchair as the epidural hadn't worn off, bet we looked classy but you don't argue with a women who has just given birth to your child.
    She gave them up about 2 years ago & hasn't looked back since.
    3rd kid now on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

lazygal wrote: »
    Bull. No maternity hospital will tell you to abstain 100%, all will advise on the best course of action.

I asked my consultant about this. I'm not a smoker but do drink. I've been too sick to drink at all but she has told me a small glass of wine once a week has no effect. I'm eight months pregnant so I guess that beats your five.
    I was advised no alcohol is best. but if you do one small glass of wine should be ok. however why wud you even bother having a small glass of wine ? For what purpose? It does cross the placenta you know. so even if its a small amount ur babies getting it.
    and i wasant aware we were in competition , your 8 months good for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Smoking is an addiction it's impossible to give up just because you get pregnant. One or two cigs a day is not that bad.

A glass of wine or guinness has always been considered by Obstetricians as perfectly safe, and to a point, good for you. Getting drunk is very different though.

As for smoking, I think it's disgusting and vile that anyone would do this during pregnancy, but I don't think we should have a law against it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Two weeks ago at the bus stop, I saw a mother and the father smoking in the area where their baby was, in a pram. The kid also had an earring, which is ****ed up. Then she pretty much smoked straight into the baby's face when she knelt into the pram, smoke in mouth, breathing her smoke into baby's face.

Imagine anyone doing that, how ignorant, and how bad a mother would you have to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Imagine if the mammies of Einstein / Da Vinci / Aristotle had known about this information. Their children wouldn't have been such a letdown.
    You do realise that logic fails at a very basic scrutiny, right?

For one:
    Aristotle's mum was pregnant prior to Europe discovering America. the Europeans were introduced to tobacco smoking by the native Americans.

And besides:
    For every "success" story you selectively choose (however incorrectly) throughout history, you are neglecting the hundreds and thousands of children that have survived to suffer because of it, and those miscarriages that didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Don't smoke or drink.

Ladies in the family way, just have a little bet instead. No harm to your health and the adrenalin rush of a winner might be good for junior :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was advised no alcohol is best. but if you do one small glass of wine should be ok. however why wud you even bother having a small glass of wine ? For what purpose? It does cross the placenta you know. so even if its a small amount ur babies getting it.
    and i wasant aware we were in competition , your 8 months good for you

Why did you need to point out you're five months pregnant? Or found it easy to give up smoking? You know not everyone has to be or should be like you?

You sound like a very judgmental person. I hope your children are a bit more open minded than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Ah yes, but they're not just choosing to drink or smoke for themselves now, are they? They're smoking and drinking for two.

Impossible to enforce, but it's irresponsible for a mother that does either or both.

fair point - but Giving up smoking is easier said then done , no matter what the situation is.

There is other things out there that can harm a baby , not just smoke and drink.

Two weeks ago at the bus stop, I saw a mother and the father smoking in the area where their baby was, in a pram. The kid also had an earring, which is ****ed up. Then she pretty much smoked straight into the baby's face when she knelt into the pram, smoke in mouth, breathing her smoke into baby's face.

Imagine anyone doing that, how ignorant, and how bad a mother would you have to be.

You have decided she is a bad mother, she is probably a great mother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Well the thread itself is about drinking and smoking. To be more precise, intoxicating your baby through drink or inhalation if cigarette smoke, whether they like it or not.

Enough studies have been done on this, so we know it effects the unborn child. An argument against this is a sign of weakness in my book.

hondasam wrote: »
    Smoking is an addiction it's impossible to give up just because you get pregnant.
    Rubbish, people give up all the time. I gave up, and I didn't have the excellent motivation of being pregnant.

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    fair point - but Giving up smoking is easier said then done , no matter what the situation is.

There is other things out there that can harm a baby , not just smoke and drink.

Plus walking baby in prams in the vicinity of things that produce toxic fumes like cars should be banned also, plus living near airports etc.

we need more greenhouses.

Why did you need to point out you're five months pregnant? Or found it easy to give up smoking? You know not everyone has to be or should be like you?

You sound like a very judgmental person. I hope your children are a bit more open minded than you.
    and you sound very moody and moany i hope your partner isint straying:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I don't agree with smoking while pregnant, but at the end of the day - it's there body so there choice

Doesn't seem that way with prostitution

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    Rubbish, people give up all the time. I gave up, and I didn't have the excellent motivation of being pregnant.

Just because you did you think everyone can?

Nasty.

Well the thread itself is about drinking and smoking. To be more precise, intoxicating your baby through drink or inhalation if cigarette smoke, whether they like it or not.

Enough studies have been done on this, so we know it effects the unborn child. An argument against this is a sign of weakness in my book.

I'm not arguing against it, I added another danger to an unborn baby to the list. an overweight mother with bad food habits, there are countless studies done on the dangers of that as well but it's largely ignored because people are in denial.

It can cause just as many health problems if you are overweight than if you smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Everyone is not like you:confused:

On a side point i look down on expectant mothers who smoke.

chin_grin wrote: »
    To be fair if the pregnant woman is smoking, the child is f*cked from the get-go.

That is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

You have decided she is a bad mother, she is probably a great mother.

Who smokes into her baby's face and gets its ear pierced... yeah she's probably wonderful all right, proper way to do it alright!

billybudd wrote: »

Do you work upstairs in the Rotunda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Ah yes, but they're not just choosing to drink or smoke for themselves now, are they? They're smoking and drinking for two.

Impossible to enforce, but it's irresponsible for a mother that does either or both.

Again, this thread isn't about other issues around pregnancy, it's about drinking and smoking. While it might be an addiction, a woman who smokes should make a conscience decision to quit before her pregnancy. Deciding to do both is selfish and harmful to the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

A law like that would be almost as unenforceable as one prohibiting masturbation.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just because you did you think everyone can?
    Absolutely. I'm nothing special. If I can do it, you can.

Do you work upstairs in the Rotunda?

I am just quite tall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Mod
    Tone it down a bit.

Everyone is not like you:confused:
    yes but come on if your pregnant and smoking your in the wrong? you must see how disgusting and vile it is to smoke while pregnant. we ban it in workplace and public places and yet we subject unborn babies to it...

You wanted to give them up and it's great but not everyone is the same.
    Majority of pregnant women have a sly cig everyday and go back on them the minute the baby is born.

billybudd wrote: »

Would you look down on an expectant mother who was obese if you saw her stuffing her face at the chipper?

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Mod
    Tone it down a bit.
    agreed , she insulted me first. i apologise for stooping to her level. she isint in her right mind anyway shes 8 months gone, hormones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Abi wrote:
    Again, this thread isn't about other issues around pregnancy, it's about drinking and smoking. While it might be an addiction, a woman who smokes should make a conscience decision to quit before her pregnancy. Deciding to do both is selfish and harmful to the child.

But in order for the law to be consistent it would also have to enforce healthy eating for pregnant women (which I'm sure there are plenty of studies on).
    she isint in her right mind anyway shes 8 months gone, hormones.
    Nothing like a cheap shot to get the last word in.

That's what my mom always said anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

As its now illegal to smoke indoors in a public place should we also make it illegal for pregnant mothers to smoke and drink alcohol.?
    Going on all the studies suggesting it seriously harms the unborn child.

Great idea. Human history has proven that when you make something illegal then people will stop doing it.

Warning : Post may contain hints of sarcasm. Do not read if pregnant or lactating.

• Advertisement

You wanted to give them up and it's great but not everyone is the same.
    Majority of pregnant women have a sly cig everyday and go back on them the minute the baby is born.
    they do not! none of my friends do this. where do you get that info?

Have you any grounds for that comment or is it pure conjecture & speculation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Wow.

I hope your children aren't taught to respond to people with such comments.

Being a good mother isn't just about not smoking and drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

.... she isint in her right mind anyway shes 8 months gone, hormones.

Last chance

Not every child is affected by a mother who smoked during pregnancy. but they should give up for the term anyway to be sure to be safe.

Who smokes into her baby's face and gets its ear pierced... yeah she's probably wonderful all right, proper way to do it alright!

Who are you to judge her?
    Zulu wrote: »
    Absolutely. I'm nothing special. If I can do it, you can.

It's not that easy.

• Advertisement

they do not! none of my friends do this. where do you get that info?

Haha, you are friends with all the pregnant women in Ireland?:D

Its only 9 months of your life, yes some people find quitting hard. But thousands dont, i really think some mothers dont even try to quit. they just say , oh its too hard and dont bother. its disgusting to subject an unborn child to smoke

It's not that easy.
    I didn't say it was, but it's not that hard either; it can be done, it's nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

FatherLen wrote: »
    i am so glad i am a male.

Especially when you realise that if pregnant - your life's worth is equal to that of a couple of dividing cells.

Especially when you realise that if pregnant - your life's worth is equal to that of a couple of dividing cells.
    ...like the way your life is currently equal to that of a couple of billion decaying cells?

• Advertisement
Advertisement