Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant women smoking and drinking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

billybudd wrote: »
    Haha, you are friends with all the pregnant women in Ireland?:D
    no but i work and have friends and family. only ever met one girl who smoked when pregnant and everyone in work was disgusted by her and rightly so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

they do not! none of my friends do this. where do you get that info?

Where did you get the info that majority of mother's quit?
    Zulu wrote: »
    Have you any grounds for that comment or is it pure conjecture & speculation?

Considering the smoking police are out in force no one will admit to having a sly ciggie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

some people find quitting hard. But thousands dont

I think those numbers are slightly skewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I didn't say it was, but it's not that hard either; it can be done, it's nothing special.

For you maybe yeah... But not for everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Abi wrote: »
    Again, this thread isn't about other issues around pregnancy, it's about drinking and smoking. While it might be an addiction, a woman who smokes should make a conscience decision to quit before her pregnancy. Deciding to do both is selfish and harmful to the child.

Not every child is affected by a mother who smoked during pregnancy. but they should give up for the term anyway to be sure to be safe.
    My mother smoked infrequently while pregnant with me. I was born a month too early and had to go incubation, and I was terribly underweight. I've suffered with lung problems all of my life as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

hondasam wrote: »
    Where did you get the info that majority of mother's quit?

Considering the smoking police are out in force no one will admit to having a sly ciggie.

I have a sly ciggie.

My mother smoked infrequently while pregnant with me. I was born a month too early and had to go incubation, and I was terribly underweight. I've suffered with lung problems all of my life as a result.

sorry to hear that but alot of children have no side effects from their mother smoking, i know its wrong and expectant mothers shouldnt smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

agreed , she insulted me first. i apologise for stooping to her level. she isint in her right mind anyway shes 8 months gone, hormones.

Meow

Rocks, glasshouses etc

no but i work and have friends and family. only ever met one girl who smoked when pregnant and everyone in work was disgusted by her and rightly so

Gang mentality will not help that woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭HemlockOption

...like the way your life is currently equal to that of a couple of billion decaying cells?

not sure what you mean by that comment. I'm talking about the offensive constitutional position

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Who are you to judge her?

It's expressing an opinion, it's not like I actually told her what I've posted, but it's fairly bad parenting to get your babys ear pierced and smoke into its face, I think most people would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

That even one drink can increase the risk of SIDS. Im 5 months pregnant at the moment.

Oh for f*ck's sake, surely you don't believe that. No-one knows what causes SIDS. There are >23 possible causes so far and not one has been verified.

I didn't say it was, but it's not that hard either; it can be done, it's nothing special.

It can be done. If a pregnancy is unplanned you will be smoking not knowing you are pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

i really think some mothers dont even try to quit. they just say , oh its too hard and dont bother.

In fairness it is the most addictive of all popular/mainstream drugs.

Confab wrote: »
    Oh for f*ck's sake, surely you don't believe that. No-one knows what causes SIDS. There are >23 possible causes so far and not one has been verified.
    agreed so would you risk it then? what if light alcohol risk is a cause? is it worth the risk

it's fairly bad parenting to get your babys ear pierced ....... I think most people would agree.

Can't say I agree with the ear piercing thing. Personally I don't like it, but it doesn't make you a bad parent. In spain, most female babies get their ears pierced while they are still in the hospital.

Totally agree with the smoking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So that's a no then, it's pure conjecture & speculation - just so we are all clear.
    SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    For you maybe yeah... But not for everyone
    Pregnancy isn't easy but it's only for 9 months. I'd have found having the real danger poised to my new baby as great motivation to give up. It would have made it a lot easier for me to quit.

It's expressing an opinion, it's not like I actually told her what I've posted, but it's fairly bad parenting to get your babys ear pierced and smoke into its face, I think most people would agree.

Whats wrong with having you ears pierced ??? :confused:

My mam got all our (myself, sisters) ears pierced as babies.. and we're all fine :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

It's not that easy.

Probably not for weak people but then again nothing is, is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I got plastered the one night, really badly, my boyfriend had broken up with me so i got drunk. A week later i took a pregnancy test, i was 5 weeks pregnant. I now have a 12 year old* who thankfully suffered no ill affects from my drunken binge. That was the second last time in the last 13 years that i was drunk.

I dont smoke so that wasnt an issue.

* i married her dad and we have 2 boys...

getting your child's ears pierced does not make you a bad parent. The smoking bit yes I can agree with but to say it's bad parenting is a bit unfair imo.
    I generally find that everyone is an expert on parenting until they become parents themselves.
    I'm not asking who the parents are on this thread, makes no difference to me.

Whats wrong with having you ears pierced ??? :confused:

My mam got all our (myself, sisters) ears pierced as babies.. and we're all fine :confused::confused::confused:

I think it's a bit crass to have a babys ear pierced at such a young age
    I'm not against piercings, but not at that age.

Cousin has fetal alcohol syndrome and a hare lip. Mother drank while pregnant at weekend bingeing and smoked throughout. she is a raging alcoholic now and the child was raised by her sister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Hard to believe anyone actually defending smoking while pregnant, although for some reason it doesn't suprise me in the slightest unfortunately.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/06/030602023446.htm
    Studies also show in-utero alcohol consumption can cause attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), autism and other neurological conditions. Foetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASDs), which include foetal alcohol syndrome (FAS), alcohol-related birth defects and alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder (ARND), are thought to affect about 700 babies born here every year. The disorders can be trans-generational, passing down through one generation after another in some families.
    They are the most common cause of preventable intellectual disability, yet they are not notifiable, and there is no clear, official message given to women in Ireland that alcohol during pregnancy can cause these problems.
    In a study in Dublin’s Coombe Hospital published in 2006, 82 per cent of women continued drinking while pregnant – almost eight times as many as women in the US, where FASDs are notifiable and drinks carry a warning label.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2011/0830/1224303178492.html

There is an extensive literature showing that fetal nicotine exposure, due to maternal smoking, alters embryonic brain development and results in a variety of pathological effects in the neonate that fall under the heading of the fetal nicotine syndrome. These include a fourfold increased incidence of SIDS, ten's of thousands of cases of tobacco induced abortions, premature deliveries, low birth weight and an increased incidence of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Although the mechanisms involved are not well understood, they are thought to be mediated in part by nicotinic acetylcholine receptors in the fetal brain

http://www.amc.edu/Research/CNN/cnnresearcher.cfm?ID=149

So that's a no then, it's pure conjecture & speculation - just so we are all clear.

I smoked while I was pregnant, I have no problem admitting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

This is a quick excerpt from Bill Cosbys speech at the 50th Anniversary commemoration of the Brown vs Topeka Board of Education Supreme Court Decision, from 2004.

it's worth reading in its entirety.

http://www.eightcitiesmap.com/transcript_bc.htm

<quote>
    We've got to take the neighborhood back (clapping). We've got to go in there. Just forget telling your child to go to the Peace Corps. It's right around the corner. (laughter) It's standing on the corner. It can't speak English. It doesn't want to speak English. I can't even talk the way these people talk. “Why you ain't where you is go, ra,” I don't know who these people are. And I blamed the kid until I heard the mother talk (laughter). Then I heard the father talk. This is all in the house. You used to talk a certain way on the corner and you got into the house and switched to English. Everybody knows it's important to speak English except these knuckleheads. You can't land a plane with “why you ain't...” You can't be a doctor with that kind of crap coming out of your mouth. There is no Bible that has that kind of language. Where did these people get the idea that they're moving ahead on this. Well, they know they're not, they're just hanging out in the same place, five or six generations sitting in the projects when you're just supposed to stay there long enough to get a job and move out.
    </quote>

The reason I'm quoting it is because I believe that you'll have these knuckleheads who will drink and smoke, and nothing anyone does will make a difference. They have no shame, no moral compass, nothing. Making it illegal will not affect them in any way.

But making it illegal may stop a few from drinking and smoking, but for the vast majority who continue to smoke and drink the law has no reign over them to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

agreed so would you risk it then? what if light alcohol risk is a cause? is it worth the risk

So you're saying that if a pregnant woman had a glass of champagne on New Year's Eve and another one toasting a friend's birthday a few months later and her baby subsequently dies of cot death, she should blame herself for drinking those two glasses...

Not only is that incredibly insensitive, it's not based on any fact at all.

My mother smoked all the way through mine and my brothers pregnancies, we are fine.

getting your child's ears pierced does not make you a bad parent. The smoking bit yes I can agree with but to say it's bad parenting is a bit unfair imo.
    I generally find that everyone is an expert on parenting until they become parents themselves.
    I totally disagree with smoking while pregnant its horrible. But I dont want a law enforcing it rather would hope people just would have the cop on not to smoke.
    Also i dont think it makes you a bad mother, i hate seeing it but it no way reflects your parenting ability when the childs here.

The smoking bit yes I can agree with but to say it's bad parenting is a bit unfair imo..

Bollix it is. The facts are there. If they continue to smoke and drink while pregnant they put their child at risk because they're a selfish twat. That's it.

Then they come back in 7 years wondering why their kid has ADD or ADHD or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Nice idea, but the inability to police such a law means its a non starter.

fair play for admitting to that on here .

I think it's a bit crass to have a babys ear pierced at such a young age
    I'm not against piercings, but not at that age.

But how does this come up under the thread of "smoking,drinking" and "bad parenting" ? :confused:

Nothing wrong with a piercing, in fact in Spain they Pierce new Born's ears in the hospital.

So you're saying that if a pregnant woman had a glass of champagne on New Year's Eve and another one toasting a friend's birthday a few months later and her baby subsequently dies of cot death, she should blame herself for drinking those two glasses...

Not only is that incredibly insensitive, it's not based on any fact at all.
    no but if she drinks small glass of wine every night then i would think that possibly it could have contributed.

Can't say I agree with the ear piercing thing. Personally I don't like it, but it doesn't make you a bad parent. In spain, most female babies get their ears pierced while they are still in the hospital.

Totally agree with the smoking though.
    But how does this come up under the thread of "smoking,drinking" and "bad parenting" ? :confused:

Nothing wrong with a piercing, in fact in Spain they Pierce new Born's ears in the hospital.

Maybe saying that getting a babys ear pierced, equals bad parenting is extreme, but I don't see the need for it.. let them get piercings when they're older, but a baby does not need an ear piercing, if it is popular in Spain, I still disagree with it, what's the point in it? Does it not hurt the baby unneccesarily?

prinz wrote: »
    Bollix it is. The facts are there. If they continue to smoke and drink while pregnant they put their child at risk because they're a selfish twat. That's it.

Then they come back in 7 years wondering why their kid has ADD or ADHD or whatever.

Junk food will cause those things way more than a mother smoking.

MY youngest may have ADHD and does have a speech and language delay yet i didnt smoke or drink at all through his pregnancy. These things happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I totally disagree with smoking while pregnant its horrible. But I dont want a law enforcing it rather would hope people just would have the cop on not to smoke.

I agree with you but do you also wish people had the 'cop on' not to be overweight or obese while pregnant? Are you aware that the risks are just as bad as smoking?

Junk food will cause those things way more than a mother smoking.

..and who is supporting a pregnant woman eating junk food through her pregnancy?

This was in reply to this quote.

Two weeks ago at the bus stop, I saw a mother and the father smoking in the area where their baby was, in a pram. The kid also had an earring, which is ****ed up. Then she pretty much smoked straight into the baby's face when she knelt into the pram, smoke in mouth, breathing her smoke into baby's face.

Imagine anyone doing that, how ignorant, and how bad a mother would you have to be.

• Advertisement

MY youngest may have ADHD and does have a speech and language delay yet i didnt smoke or drink at all through his pregnancy. These things happen.

Yes they do. Lung cancer sometimes 'happens' too. Yay, the fags are safe again!!

Cousin has fetal alcohol syndrome and a hare lip. Mother drank while pregnant at weekend bingeing and smoked throughout. she is a raging alcoholic now and the child was raised by her sister.

I know and really people who have a family history of cancer, heart disease etc should really not procreate either.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

A lot of perfect people around. And no, I don't smoke and have only very occasional glass of wine when pregnant. Maybe also all the pregnant fat women should be put on supervised diet by their doctor every time they gain more weight than they should. Shouldn't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

sorry to hear that but alot of children have no side effects from their mother smoking, i know its wrong and expectant mothers shouldnt smoke.
    So pregnant women should take the risk and say 'ah sure, I'm sure he / she will be alright' ? I know I couldn't be that fcuk offish towards the health of an unborn baby.

I don't blame my mother for what happened with me, in the seventies there wasn't too much of an argument against it. But nowadays the information is constantly being put out to mothers about the consequences of smoking and drinking during pregnancy. There are no excuses that will justify it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

So pregnant women should take the risk and say 'ah sure, I'm sure he / she will be alright' ? I know I couldn't be that fcuk offish towards the health of an unborn baby.

I don't blame my mother for what happened with me, in the seventies there wasn't too much of an argument against it. But nowadays the information is constantly being put out to mothers about the consequences of smoking and drinking during pregnancy. There are no excuses that will justify it.

Getting pregnant and having a child is a risk anyway, see my post above. i agree with you anyway a expectant mother should not smoke, but it is a terrible addiction to conquer.

Yes they do. Lung cancer sometimes 'happens' too. Yay, the fags are safe again!!

1 in 2 smokers will die of a smoking related illness, but did you know that all smokers and non smokers DIE. Yep its true.

S**T happens, you can be really healthy yet die of a heart attack at 22 on a foot ball pitch. Is that the moms fault because she didnt breast feed or because she had a glass of wine when she was pregnant? NO...

Que sera sera, what will be, will be!

I dont agree with smoking or getting drunk wile pregnant or taking illegal drugs, but i cant push my ideals onto someone else. They want to take the risk its up to them.

JUst to add my son was born 5 weeks early and was fine and healthy, he wasnt born early because i was smoking they dont know he came ealry but thank goodness he did he weighed 7lb 6oz. My mother a smoker stoped smoking with her first and he arrived at 32 weeks weighing 5lb, my brother came next and she smoked through his pregnancy he arrived at 38 weeks he was 7lb , i arrived at 37 weeks and was also 7lb.

fair play for admitting to that on here .

I was very sick first time I was pregnant and smoked very little maybe one a week, second time smoked little until the end and then my nerves got the better of me and smoked a bit more.
    You know what say first baby ignorance is bliss but once you know what's gonna happen it's kinda nerve wrecking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

analucija wrote: »
    A lot of perfect people around. And no, I don't smoke and have only very occasional glass of wine when pregnant. Maybe also all the pregnant fat women should be put on supervised diet by their doctor every time they gain more weight than they should. Shouldn't they?

Analucija, any time these threads come up I make a point of saying how being overweight or obese is dangerous to the baby. At this stage everyone knows smoking while pregnant is dangerous but most people choose to ignore the risks of an unhealthy overweight pregnancy. There's too much denial in this country when it comes to weight .

Healthier mammies will lead to healthier babies, what's wrong with wanting that?

• Advertisement

1 in 2 smokers will die of a smoking related illness, but did you know that all smokers and non smokers DIE. Yep its true.

:pac: Handball with a haystack I believe it's called.

Advertisement