Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant women smoking and drinking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

analucija wrote: »
    Maybe also all the pregnant fat women should be put on supervised diet by their doctor every time they gain more weight than they should. Shouldn't they?

Certainly something worth considering, good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

A lot of perfect people around. And no, I don't smoke and have only very occasional glass of wine when pregnant. Maybe also all the pregnant fat women should be put on supervised diet by their doctor every time they gain more weight than they should. Shouldn't they?

Mmmmm we all love a bit of ethnic cleansing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's largely a certain type of 'mother' that does this.
    And second hand smoke in the womb is the least of these babies worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

what do you mean by a 'certain type of mother'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Tayla wrote: »
    Analucija, any time these threads come up I make a point of saying how being overweight or obese is dangerous to the baby. At this stage everyone knows smoking while pregnant is dangerous but most people choose to ignore the risks of an unhealthy overweight pregnancy. There's too much denial in this country when it comes to weight .

Healthier mammies will lead to healthier babies, what's wrong with wanting that?

Nothing. I just think it's hypocritical that people complain about drinking and smoking and ignore overweight issues just because there is such a huge amount of fat pregnant women. But I also think that a pregnant woman you see smoking could have a cigarette or a drink once per month and perfect mummy brigade will have a fit. And yes I think that pregnant women shouldn't smoke or drink excessively and never ever get drunk. I'm just getting fed up with the nanny state obsessing about the smoking in general because it is the easy target. On the other hand nobody is pointing out that Irish are one of the fattest nations in Europe (comparisons are always conveniently done with UK or USA) and that there is for example way to little exercise in schools but it is a lot harder to change that than put up a sign Don't Smoke in the playground. As long it makes "I'm better than you" brigade happy I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Nothing. I just think it's hypocritical that people complain about drinking and smoking and ignore overweight issues just because there is such a huge amount of fat pregnant women. But I also think that a pregnant woman you see smoking could have a cigarette or a drink once per month and perfect mummy brigade will have a fit. And yes I think that pregnant women shouldn't smoke or drink excessively and never ever get drunk. I'm just getting fed up with the nanny state obsessing about the smoking in general because it is the easy target. On the other hand nobody is pointing out that Irish are one of the fattest nations in Europe (comparisons are always conveniently done with UK or USA) and that there is for example way to little exercise in schools but it is a lot harder to change that than put up a sign Don't Smoke in the playground. As long it makes "I'm better than you" brigade happy I guess.

MMM if something is processed or cooked government makes money unlike if its raw when sold they dont...... not really in their best interests to promote healthy from scratch eating is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

hondasam wrote: »

Ones who don't give a fcuk?

One that ignores the facts about what is and is not good for their children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

I completely agree with everything you said there, I thought by your first post you were annoyed that I was complaining about fat pregnant women. My bad :)

Yah right, that's what you meant all right.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »

Any mother that smokes doesn't give a fcuk about her children?

• Advertisement

Why don't you tell me what I meant Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

She obviously doesn't give too much of a fcuk about the effect it could well be having in the womb anyway, otherwise she wouldn't be smoking while pregnant.

Why don't you tell me what I meant Sam.

No. you are the one that posted the comment but did not expand on what your really meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Denise90

Nobody can enforce this. If it were to be made illegal that would suggest that there would have to be a punishment involved for anyone breaking the rules (who is going to slap a couple of thousand euro fine on a pregnant woman in the middle of the street), not to mention a lot of legal loopholes to oppose it.. "I didn't know I was pregnant" being the main one. Also what about women in early pregnancy? Should they carry a sign? Or would the we have to keep an eye out for the woman with the lovely glow?

As far as i've read before, alcohol has a more profound effect in the early stages of pregnancy while organs are developing... so by the time any other person could tell a woman is pregnant, the damage may already be done. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yah right, that's what you meant all right.

No - any mother who smokes while pregnant doesn't give a fcuk about her unborn child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭gerarda

Its the ultimate act of complete and utter selfishness.

http://theworldhates.com/chavs/files/2009/11/chav-pregnant-lovely.jpg

No - any mother who smokes while pregnant doesn't give a fcuk about her unborn child.

Fair enough. That puts me in the category of not giving a fcuk about my child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I choose what is right and what is wrong for my child and my children, pc brigade says don't give a child coke well fcuk that, my daughter is diabetic and needs coke when her blood sugars drop. If that's at 8am in the morning it's at 8am. And if it's at 10pm at night it's at 10pm.

My neighbors kid has cf and needs to eat fatty foods, she is 4 years old and the more fat she eats the better yet people would frown at her for giving her fatty food for breakfast.

What is good for my child may not be good for someone else's and visa versa.

I choose, not the government and not the pc brigade. And for someone to look down on me or call me a bad mother for giving my child a coke at 8am can go take a hike or a chill pill.

Fair enough. That puts me in the category of not giving a fcuk about my child.

Well you know the risks... but you chose to smoke anyway.....

I choose what is right and what is wrong for my child and my children, pc brigade says don't give a child ....

...and that's precisely why there's an obesity problem. Not to mention the problems associated with alcohol and nicotine consumption in the womb.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Well you know the risks... but you chose to smoke anyway.....

Ya I'm the world's worst mother according to some people on here.

There is one thing I'm good at and no one will ever tell me differently and that is I am a good mother. What other people think is up to them makes no difference to me.

There is one thing I'm good at and no one will ever tell me differently and that is I am a good mother. What other people think is up to them makes no difference to me.

..and the women taking heroin while pregnant say the same thing, even while their babies are born suffering withdrawals that they themselves are afraid to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Did you blow smoke in on top of them asleep in the crib aswell? If not, Why not? surely it is cruel to give the child an nicotine addiction in the womb and then withdraw it when it's born?

I choose what is right and what is wrong for my child and my children, pc brigade says don't give a child ....

...and that's precisely why there's an obesity problem. Not to mention the problems associated with alcohol and nicotine consumption in the womb.

But My kids are not over weight. And I take that view and always will. If my child was a fatty, I would cut down on portion sizes however they are healthy weights. So no action needed.

More concern of mine would be illegal drug taking. That's far more dangerous than smoking and alcohol consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No you can't make it illegal but they are the scum of the earth for doing it.

..and the women taking heroin while pregnant say the same thing, even while their babies are born suffering withdrawals that they themselves are afraid to deal with.

Hardly the same thing now is it?
    Me having a few cigs while pregnant does not make me a bad mother.
    What about all the mothers who smoke not knowing they are pregnant? some of them give up once the pregnancy is confirmed but they still smoked.

Why not? You don't think newborns suffer from their addicitions to nicotine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I choose what is right and what is wrong for my child and my children, pc brigade says don't give a child coke well fcuk that, my daughter is diabetic and needs coke when her blood sugars drop. If that's at 8am in the morning it's at 8am. And if it's at 10pm at night it's at 10pm.

My neighbors kid has cf and needs to eat fatty foods, she is 4 years old and the more fat she eats the better yet people would frown at her for giving her fatty food for breakfast.

What is good for my child may not be good for someone else's and visa versa.

I choose, not the government and not the pc brigade. And for someone to look down on me or call me a bad mother for giving my child a coke at 8am can go take a hike or a chill pill.

This is about smoking though. Not the things you mentioned.

But My kids are not over weight. And I take that view and always will.

That's because their growth is probably stunted from the smoking

"I take that view and always will" -- even if they're 20 stone? that's not caring for your children, that would be ignoring the obvious and bordering on abuse
    give up once the pregnancy is confirmed but they still smoked.
    This is the key, as for the ones that don't, once they find out, they are the same as the ones who smoke while just not caring

• Advertisement

No unless it 20 a day everyday.

Baby's are given methadone and are weened off the drug, because of how severe the withdraw symptoms are, nicotine withdrawal is mild compared to heroin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

More concern of mine would be illegal drug taking. That's far more dangerous than smoking and alcohol consumption.

I don't know, Heroin (diamorphine) is actually given to women during labour as pain relief.

Smoking even moderately when pregnant is proven to cause many problems for the baby, at birth as well as in their future life. Lots more women smoke than take illegal drugs so it is a much bigger problem. I don't think it should be made illegal though.

As far as I know, there are no studies linking low alcohol consumption with any problems for the baby. I gave birth in December and had the odd glass of wine or half of Guinness during my pregnancy.

Baby's are given methadone and are weened off the drug, because of how severe the withdraw symptoms are, nicotine withdrawal is mild compared to heroin

You should have said, that makes it ok

/thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Me having a few cigs while pregnant does not make me a bad mother.
    What about all the mothers who smoke not knowing they are pregnant? some of them give up once the pregnancy is confirmed but they still smoked.

Thats a silly comparison and you know it. Knowling smoking while pregnant is stupid, end of.

micropig wrote: »

This is the key, as for the ones that don't, once they find out, they are the same as the ones who smoke while just not caring

It's ok to smoke until the pregnancy is confirmed? that could be two months into the pregnancy, damage could be done at this stage.
    I still don't think having a sly cig is doing much harm.

• Advertisement

No unless it 20 a day everyday.
    Scientists found that women who smoked just six to seven cigarettes per day gave birth to babies who more jittery, more excitable, stiffer and more difficult to console than newborns of non-smokers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2946262.stm

Sounds like people I know who give up the fags tbh.
    The behavioural changes were similar to those found in newborns of women who use crack cocaine or heroin while pregnant - and were strong enough to suggest that babies go through a "nicotine withdrawal" response.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2946262.stm

Ah sure. if it's milder than heroin, that's alright.

As for alcohol..

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/parenting/145-babies-had-alcohol-withdrawal-symptoms-2923127.html
    The newborns were suffering from delirium tremens -- commonly known as the 'DTs' -- because of their mothers' heavy drinking. The DTs can begin hours after birth and symptoms include body tremors, seizures and irregular heart beat.

..and in case you think it's only the heavy drinkers doing damage...
    Some 71pc reported a low alcohol intake of five units or less a week, while 9.9pc described their consumption as moderate with 6-20 units a week. However 0.2pc -- 114 mothers -- had a high intake of 20 units of alcohol a week.
    They found one case of foetal alcohol syndrome in each of the three levels of drinkers.

krudler wrote: »
    Thats a silly comparison and you know it. Knowling smoking while pregnant is stupid, end of.

No it's not. Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time while mothers drink and smoke.

micropig wrote: »
    But My kids are not over weight. And I take that view and always will.

That's because their growth is probably stunted from the smoking

"I take that view and always will" -- even if they're 20 stone? that's not caring for your children, that would be ignoring the obvious and bordering on abuse

caring

But my kids are not 20 stone and never will be.

You must have missed my post where I said I dont smoke and Ive got drunk twice in 13 years. I dont take drugs either. I don't condemn those who smoke it's their choice.

Let those without sin cast the first stone.

I despise drug taking and I don't like it when people abuse alcohol, but it's their choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Barrylynagh

Absolutely shameful give the child a chance

It's ok to smoke until the pregnancy is confirmed? that could be two months into the pregnancy, damage could be done at this stage.
    I still don't think having a sly cig is doing much harm.

Perhaps so, but it is unintentional, the woman does not know she is pregnant, but when she discovers she is, she stops.

Sly cig occasionally ( not totalling over 9 in the 9 months:pac:)- probably not going to do much harm

Smoking regularly as if you weren't pregnant:mad:

• Advertisement

But my kids are not 20 stone and never will be.

You must have missed my post where I said I dont smoke and Ive got drunk twice in 13 years. I dont take drugs either. I don't condemn those who smoke it's their choice.

Let those without sin cast the first stone.

Good, glad to hear it:p

Yes I missed that post.
    It is their choice to smoke, but not on top of the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

No it's not. Unplanned pregnancies happen all the time while mothers drink and smoke.

yeah but you're comparing doing something knowlingly to doing something not realising you're pregnant,its not the same thing at all. If an expecting mother finds out and stops smoking then she wasnt to know and is at least preventing more damage being done, to continue to do it throughout a pregnancy is just stupid selfishness. you wouldnt allow a newborn to be in a smoke filled room or a toddler to smoke a cigarette, why continue smoking while pregnant when it can have the same effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Smoking is an addiction it's impossible to give up just because you get pregnant. One or two cigs a day is not that bad.

It's not impossible. Some do it some don't.

Why do you keep bringing this up. We're talking about women who know they are pregnant and smoke anyway.

Though I wouldn't ban it as suggested in OP. Silly idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

What he probably meant to post was:

"Thats a silly comparison and you know it. Knowingly smoking while you know you're pregnant is stupid, end of."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

No it should be a personal choice. If it's made illegal pregnant mothers will flock to the UK to smoke.

Given that pregnant women who smoke and drink to excess are among the most stupid, self-centred, myopic and weak people any society could produce, would that be such a bad idea for the intelligence level of the Irish gene pool?

Eugenics, Irish style.

Smoking is an addiction, the mother can't give up easily, without withdrawal...why should it be any easier for a new born baby to go cold turkey?

Drinking: Odd glass of Guinness is good for iron for the woman

But absolutely horrific to see a drunk pregnant woman

Dostoevsky wrote: »
    Given that pregnant women who smoke and drink to excess are among the most stupid, self-centred, myopic and weak people any society could produce, would that be such a bad idea for the intelligence level of the Irish gene pool?

Eugenics, Irish style.

Well if we let the drink drivers sneak through the net I guess we can't be too pickey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

Tayla wrote: »
    I agree with you but do you also wish people had the 'cop on' not to be overweight or obese while pregnant? Are you aware that the risks are just as bad as smoking?
    yes but this debate is about drinking and smoking Tayla. who is overweight and pregnant and bothering you out of interest? im pregnant and 5 feet 6 and currently weigh 11.5 stone. i think im fine im coming into my sixth month. what about underweight mothers risking childs health? why dont u start a thread on weight and pregnancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Both my gandmothers smoked and between them they 18 happy and healthy children whom they loved and gave a fcuk about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

yes but this debate is about drinking and smoking Tayla. who is overweight and pregnant and bothering you out of interest? im pregnant and 5 feet 6 and currently weigh 11.5 stone. i think im fine im coming into my sixth month. what about underweight mothers risking childs health? why dont u start a thread on weight and pregnancy
    Are you? I'd think it's a bit high. Maybe you should ease of with the junk food.

• Advertisement
Advertisement