Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant women smoking and drinking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭LorraineMcFly

analucija wrote: »
    Are you? I'd think it's a bit high. Maybe you should ease of with the junk food.
    i was 10.5 pre pregnancy and healthy. nothing wrong with me cos im not stick thin and have curves. say what u like theres nothing wrong with my weight.
    also dont make assumptions on me that i eat junk food, im very anti junk and takeaways except very occasionally. i eat healthy and i have curves. im a size 12 . being a size 0 is just as ridiculous as breing a size 20 if your pregnant.

also as i started the thread id like to add in no way do i agree pregnant women who smoke are bad mothers. its not what i would do and i know its not simple for all. it simply makes no sense to defend it though, surely any mother who smoked kinda wishes she had been able to quit? if a mother is ignorantly smoking and saying it causes no harms thats wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Sharrow wrote: »
    Both my gandmothers smoked and between them they 18 happy and healthy children whom they loved and gave a fcuk about.

Different times.

Are you? I'd think it's a bit high. Maybe you should ease of with the junk food.

Sounds fine to me.

Thanku for that. its hard enough being pregnant without some horrible farm animal telling you , your weight is a problem when its normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Sounds fine to me.
    It's ok, I was just wondering what the response will be if I make silly judgemental reply. You know, like that somebody who drinks a glass of wine doesn't give a damn about their unborn child.

As I thought, different standards for op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Thanku for that. its hard enough being pregnant without some horrible farm animal telling you , your weight is a problem when its normal

Eh????:confused:

It's ok, I was just wondering what the response will be if I make silly judgemental reply. You know, like that somebody who drinks a glass of wine doesn't give a damn about their unborn child.
    i never said anyone is a bad mother. i simply choose not to drink or smoke even before i got pregnant. doesnt make me mother of the year. but i think its wrong to defend smoking we all know its stupid to do when pregnant. however i do not think it makes u a scum mother. but i hate seeing it and yeh i dont like it.

Eh????:confused:
    the person i said this about was commenting in my weight offensively. so ban me then if you want to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

i never said anyone is a bad mother. i simply choose not to drink or smoke even before i got pregnant. doesnt make me mother of the year. but i think its wrong to defend smoking we all know its stupid to do when pregnant. however i do not think it makes u a scum mother. but i hate seeing it and yeh i dont like it.

You had nothing to give up then.
    the person i said this about was commenting in my weight offensively. so ban me then if you want to.

Kitty is not an AH mod, she cannot ban you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

chin_grin wrote: »
    To be fair if the pregnant woman is smoking, the child is f*cked from the get-go.

Wanna explain that remark for the benefit of all those whose mother's smoked through pregnancies up to say, oh I dunno, 30 years ago?

hondasam wrote: »
    You had nothing to give up then.

Kitty is not an AH mod, she cannot ban you.
    i gave up smoking and alcohol before i got pregnant. i still gave them up , overnight . whats your pont?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Banned.

--

Also, some people need to start using multiquote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

yes but this debate is about drinking and smoking Tayla. who is overweight and pregnant and bothering you out of interest? im pregnant and 5 feet 6 and currently weigh 11.5 stone. i think im fine im coming into my sixth month. what about underweight mothers risking childs health? why dont u start a thread on weight and pregnancy

Lorraine, you started this thread and your only line to start the discussion was about all the studies suggesting it seriously harms the unborn child.

Early on in the debate I brought this into it because it is just as relevant and just as dangerous to the baby plus there are just as many studies done to back it up but it's almost a taboo to say it so no I'll stay on this thread thank you very much because it's just as relevant.

No one in particular is bothering me, yet these threads, debates, conversations come up all the time demonising smoking pregnant women but no one will judge the overweight women.
    A study of 5800 pregnant women in 2010 showed that 43% were overweight, this is a massive widespread minority, 3% of women were underweight, that's a small minority and I bet they were told every day by family, friends, strangers and doctors how they needed to be on weight and were too skinny.

If I had a pregnant overweight friend over at my house I wouldn't say to them go on treat yourself to a nice cream cake just like I would never say to a pregnant woman go on treat yourself to a cigarette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I quit smoking when I started trying for number 2, I did smoke during my first pregnancy. Didn't drink but I'm not much of a drinker. So shoot me.

Don't think anyone should be forced to quit, its impossible to enforce, it will probably do the most damage early on when its impossible to tell, some women will be lucky to advance quite far without showing so how can it be enforced.

will we force women to be tested at checkups?

And where will it end? Its getting far too police state for my liking.

• Advertisement

Ah, multiquote :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

eviltwin wrote: »
    Don't think anyone should be forced to quit....

I think the general thinking would be that people should 'self-police'. You shouldn't need something to be officially illegal before you come to the conclusion you shouldn't do it all by yourself, as a mature adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Tayla wrote: »
    If I had a pregnant overweight friend over at my house I wouldn't say to them go on treat yourself to a nice cream cake just like I would never say to a pregnant woman go on treat yourself to a cigarette.

A go on, live a little..Would you really deny your friend a bit of cake..Would you show her the cake before telling her she can't have any..Are you her keeper?

Stressing pregnant women out, can be just as harmful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Social services can have the child taken off the mother once its born but there's nothing the guards can do as far as I know.

prinz wrote: »
    I think the general thinking would be that people should 'self-police'. You shouldn't need something to be officially illegal before you come to the conclusion you shouldn't do it all by yourself, as a mature adult.

Eh Prinz I am responding to the OP who asked should it be illegal? No need to take that smart tone.

• Advertisement

Eh Prinz I am responding to the OP who asked should it be illegal? No need to take that smart tone.

Smart tone? I am being totally genuine. There are so many things which if you bring in a law about it's nanny state madness, but if you don't people just won't cop the hell on, grow up and make the decision for themselves. So it's Catch-22.

micropig wrote: »
    A go on, live a little..Would you really deny your friend a bit of cake..Would you show her the cake before telling her she can't have any..Are you her keeper?

Stressing pregnant women out, can be just as harmful

My point is that I wouldn't encourage it. I use another forum regularly (parenting website, full of pregnant women) and they all encourage each other to eat all this junk, like they would say they have ballooned but can't stop eating so much crisps and junk and everyone just says you might as well have it and enjoy it, treat yourself, but it's not a treat, it's all the time.

No one would dream of telling a pregnant smoker to treat herself and sit down and have 10 cigarettes in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

If we ban pregnant women from smoking and drinking then we'll have to ban junk food too, and anything perceived as dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Smart tone? I am being totally genuine. There are so many things which if you bring in a law about it's nanny state madness, but if you don't people just won't cop the hell on, grow up and make the decision for themselves.

It's not about making a decision for yourself its about the decision made for the child. The law would protect the child from the mother.

The hormones are flying in here:pac:

Smart tone? I am being totally genuine. There are so many things which if you bring in a law about it's nanny state madness, but if you don't people just won't cop the hell on, grow up and make the decision for themselves. So it's Catch-22.

My point is how do you enforce it without the state getting into people's private lives?

You can't. And as for self policing you can't assume can you that a woman who says she doesn't smoke or drink is telling the truth so any checks will have to affect everyone.

micropig wrote: »
    The hormones are flying in here:pac:

More like withdrawal symptoms. :pac:

You can't. And as for self policing you can't assume can you that a woman who says she doesn't smoke or drink is telling the truth so any checks will have to affect everyone.

What checks? People just shouldn't do it all by themselves, and for the good of their own kids.

I'm not talking about anybody going around checking if they're telling the truth or not.

What checks? People just shouldn't do it all by themselves, and for the good of their own kids.

I'm not talking about anybody going around checking if they're telling the truth or not.

But if everyone does it off their own bat then we don't have a debate :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

some people dont know, most dont seem to care.

I think regulation is a bad idea, but if the government gets up and starts some sort of shame campaign , a few tv ads saying how awful it is with colour alteration and bad camera angles, make everyone think your being called scum of the earth for doing it

A few posters in black and white, with kids in wheelchairs hooked up to all sorts of life support machines, with signs drawn in crayon saying 'why did you smoke mammy'

• Advertisement

some people dont know, most dont seem to care.

I think regulation is a bad idea, but if the government gets up and starts some sort of shame campaign , a few tv ads saying how awful it is with colour alteration and bad camera angles, make everyone think your being called scum of the earth for doing it

TV licence style?:eek:

But if everyone does it off their own bat then we don't have a debate :confused:

Debate is needed to highlight the possible dangers, then no one can claim ignorance or sue cigarette/drink company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

no but if she drinks small glass of wine every night then i would think that possibly it could have contributed.

FAS

"A number of studies have shown that light drinking (1-2 drinks/week) during pregnancy does not appear to pose a risk to the fetus.[40][41][42][43] A study of pregnancies in eight European countries found that consuming no more than one drink per day did not appear to have any effect on fetal growth."

"Though consumption of less than 15 drinks per week was not proven to cause FAS-related effects, the study authors recommend limiting consumption to no more than one standard drink per day."

It appears to be medically acceptable to drink a unit a day with no issues. Generally FAS happens because the mother continues to drink heavily during pregnancy - i.e, she had an existing alcohol consumption problem.

Most expecting mothers will not have anywhere close to a drink a day. I certainly wouldn't have a problem with my girlfriend drinking once or twice a week during pregnancy.

Tayla wrote: »
    TV licence style?:eek:

think the message of tv licence, combined with the gore of that ad where yer man hits a kid with his car

It helps if their partners quit too. I couldn't have done it only for the fact my husband gave up at the same time. Not much fun trying to kick a habit when your nearest and dearest is indulging to his hearts content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The hospitals could always stop providing smoking shelters and letting peope smoke in the grounds.............

The hospitals could always stop providing smoking shelters and letting peope smoke in the grounds.............

I think a lot of hospitals are getting that way which is great. The problem with the maternity hospitals is that they open onto street level so you don't have far to walk.

It helps if their partners quit too. I couldn't have done it only for the fact my husband gave up at the same time. Not much fun trying to kick a habit when your nearest and dearest is indulging to his hearts content.

I wonder how many men would do this? give up cigs and drink for nine months and then you can't do it while breastfeeding either, give it up for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I love how as soon as a woman is pregnant she somehow becomes fair-game for the whole of society to tell her what she can and cannot do. AH is full of mother bashing lately.

How many people here drive a car? are you the "scum of the earth" for driving past a pregnant woman as she passively inhales your toxic exhaust fumes ?

Or are you the person disgusted that this same pregnant woman breast feeds her child in public 6 months later?

No perhaps you're the selfish prick that lets your dog **** in the park for little Johnny to slip and fall in.

Perhaps pregnant mothers should just abort and save the child a life of misery..oh no wait. That's MURDER !!!

Fcuk off - parenting is hard enough without strips being torn off you - usually by other PARENTS.

Perfect parent my arse - no such animal - if you think you are - you're deluded !!!

• Advertisement

True.

think the message of tv licence, combined with the gore of that ad where yer man hits a kid with his car

I would be in favour of it, I do however think that most people are aware of the dangers of smoking and educating people won't make a difference but yea horrific ads may make people think twice.

drinking....I think they are aware it can cause problems but they're not sure what types of problems so a campaign might do some good.

Then I honestly don't think people realise being overweight can be as dangerous as it is, it deserves a massive campaign to highlight the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think a lot of hospitals are getting that way which is great. The problem with the maternity hospitals is that they open onto street level so you don't have far to walk.

It's a start though. They shouldnt be seen to be encouraging it. The amount of women in housecoats in the shelter at the Coombe or hanging around smoking at different parts outisde the building is fairly sickening to be fair. Theres always a couple on their way in or out all day.

Pwindedd wrote: »
    are you the "scum of the earth"

This is AH, were trying to drag more people to our level

It's a start though. They shouldnt be seen to be encouraging it. The amount of women in housecoats in the shelter at the Coombe or hanging around smoking at different parts outisde the building is fairly sickening to be fair. Theres always a couple on their way in or out all day.

I was outside the Mater one day waiting for someone and there was a man in a wheelchair outside the front door, he had his oxygen tank on the ground with him, and was removing the face mask just long enough to take a drag of his fag and exhale, then cough, and put his mask back on... just one of those head scratcher wtf moments.

Hospitals don't encourage it far from it. There is a lot of information about how to be healthy during pregnancy and support in how to improve one's health.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

While I personally would not do it, I do not believe it is my business if a pregnant woman drinks or smokes and certainly not anything that should be dealt with with laws. The best thing to do is give people the information and let them do what they wish.

My mother smoked and drank throughout her pregnancies back in the day and had pefectly fine, healthy children. The vast majority of people who were born before the mid 90's would say the same I would guess.

Also I would believe what OP says about the limerick maternity telling them not to drink a drop, I have known others who have had babies in there and they were told the same thing at scans and check ups.

Finally a fun fact for you all, in limerick maternity they now also ask if you and the babies father are related :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

hondasam wrote: »
    Just because you did you think everyone can?

I think the point is that one person doing something is fairly adequate proof it is not impossible.

I was outside the Mater one day waiting for someone and there was a man in a wheelchair outside the front door, he had his oxygen tank on the ground with him, and was removing the face mask just long enough to take a drag of his fag and exhale, then cough, and put his mask back on... just one of those head scratcher wtf moments.

My uncle had a triple heart bypass in the mater private and actually had a nurse on hand to bring him outside to smoke every few hours. This despite the fact his smoking was the reason he was in there in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

My uncle had a triple heart bypass in the mater private and actually had a nurse on hand to bring him outside to smoke every few hours. This despite the fact his smoking was the reason he was in there in the first place.
    Ah, the joys of Private health insurance,if he went public he probably would only have a porter to bring him out!:D

psinno wrote: »
    I think the point is that one person doing something is fairly adequate proof it is not impossible.

No one said it was impossible. While it's easy for one person does not mean it's easy for everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement