Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant women smoking and drinking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

As its now illegal to smoke indoors in a public place should we also make it illegal for pregnant mothers to smoke and drink alcohol.?
    Going on all the studies suggesting it seriously harms the unborn child.

Who are you? Mother Ireland? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Pwindedd wrote: »
    I love how as soon as a woman is pregnant she somehow becomes fair-game for the whole of society to tell her what she can and cannot do. AH is full of mother bashing lately.

How many people here drive a car? are you the "scum of the earth" for driving past a pregnant woman as she passively inhales your toxic exhaust fumes ?

Or are you the person disgusted that this same pregnant woman breast feeds her child in public 6 months later?

No perhaps you're the selfish prick that lets your dog **** in the park for little Johnny to slip and fall in.

Perhaps pregnant mothers should just abort and save the child a life of misery..oh no wait. That's MURDER !!!

Fcuk off - parenting is hard enough without strips being torn off you - usually by other PARENTS.

Perfect parent my arse - no such animal - if you think you are - you're deluded !!!
    Well now, wasn't that the proper little hissy fit, I wonder why. This thread is akin to pouring water over some earth then watching the worms rise to the surface. All of the above is nothing but a blown out of proportion rant to disguise weakness and selfishness.

Your defense is laughable really. You threw in the 'as soon as a woman becomes pregnant she is judged' bit, if men could bear children they'd get the same heat. you are a host to another human being.

Moving onto the motorist thing, more blown out of proportion bull.. Driving past a pregnant woman :rolleyes: ffs, smoking a cigarette is a direct hit to your child each time you smoke. They are not comparable.

Most parents would never proclaim to be perfect, but they owe it to the child that never asked to be born the best start in life, and that includes its health.

Those who shout the loudest often are being defensive because they're in the wrong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

How about the partners of pregnant women continuing to smoke and drink while their partner is trying to quit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eviltwin wrote: »
    Hospitals don't encourage it far from it. There is a lot of information about how to be healthy during pregnancy and support in how to improve one's health.

I would see providing a shelter for smokers (The Coombe) and letting them smoke in the grounds as encouraging it tbh.

44leto wrote: »
    How about the partners of pregnant women continuing to smoke and drink while their partner is trying to quit.
    They should tone it down in front of them, especially smoking. It defeats the purpose if the mother is constantly inhaling second hand smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I don't smoke, and I will give up the booze for the full time too*.

(*promise I made after a few pints)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Abi wrote: »
    They should tone it down in front of them, especially smoking. It defeats the purpose if the mother is constantly inhaling second hand smoke.

Surely it would make it harder for the woman to quit, I know it would with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

think the message of tv licence, combined with the gore of that ad where yer man hits a kid with his car

To be fair, if knowing that you are gambling with your child's life doesn't stop you, a few TV adverts won't make much difference.

token101 wrote: »
    To be fair, if knowing that you are gambling with your child's life doesn't stop you, a few TV adverts won't make much difference.

I don't know about that. I think the various ad campaigns (drink driving, wearing a seatbelt, drinkaware etc) are having an impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I'd prefer to see them not banging up and turning the unborn into a junkie. but sure, lets start with second hand smoke.

• Advertisement

Surely it would make it harder for the woman to quit, I know it would with me.
    I'd imagine it would be difficult if the man is still smoking around her. I think an arrangement should be made in that he also gives up or at least does it nowhere near her.

Both of my parents smoked, still do. Im not someone who Is simply having a go at female smokers, my angle is different. I was the child that was effected by it. Earlier someone said to me, sorry to hear it but it doesn't happen to some.. I had to stop reading after that sentence.

It clearly states that smoking can cause premature birth and underweight babies. I spent my first days in life in an incubator. Who would actually want that for their tiny newborn?

The risks are there, to conscientiously ignore them as a parent to be is a fingers up to your unborn babys health.

Enough if's and buts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Not just the partners, if there is a pregnant woman in the room you need to be fecking off out of there if you want a fag, whoever you are.

Actually this doesn't just go for pregnant women but kids too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

xzanti wrote: »
    Didn't the Surgeon General recently release a statement that one standard glass of wine would do no harm to an unborn baby?

Too lazy to look for links but I definitely remember there being some discussion about in the Media.

Afaik there has not been any definitive conclusion yet as to how much alcohol causes problems in pregnancy. As it may possibly be any at all some medical professionals, especially in the US, advise complete abstinence. But as it most probably is ok to have the occasional drink many professionals now say it's ok to have an occasional small drink.

One thing that people should be careful about doing is using the French as a guide. Drinking in pregnancy is very socially acceptable there however correspondingly their foetal alcohol syndrome rates are some of the highest in Europe. The same is true for their rates of neonatal toxoplasmosis poisoning due to consumption of undercooked meat, in fact they, along with iirc Portugal and Spain, are some of the only countries in Europe and N America who routinely test for toxoplasmosis in pregnancy because it's so common there, whereas it's almost unheard of in their peer countries.
    hondasam wrote: »
    Majority of pregnant women have a sly cig everyday and go back on them the minute the baby is born.

Sorry but where the hell ar you getting that from? Over 75% of the people in this country do not smoke at all. Do you somehow think that the 23.6% who do are all women of child-bearing age? Most pregnant women do not smoke at all so certainly don't have a sly one for no reason during their pregnancy.
    prinz wrote: »
    ...and that's precisely why there's an obesity problem. Not to mention the problems associated with alcohol and nicotine consumption in the womb.

Why did you cut off the rest of Grindewald's sentence that details her daughter's diabetes, which is type 1 btw and because of that she needs sweet sugary food or drinks sometimes in order to keep her alive? And actually a number of studies show that obesity is least common in children who have moderate amounts of 'junk food' as a normal part of their diet as they don't grow up to have unhealthy psychological associations with junk. They don't learn to prize an unhealthy treat over a healthy one and find it much easier to control their consumption of junk in adulthood.

I wonder how many men would do this? give up cigs and drink for nine months and then you can't do it while breastfeeding either, give it up for another year.

Lots and lots of men do just this and lots more while trying to conceive in order to do the best for any child they conceive as it's now well known that alcohol consumption, drug (including prescribed) use, smoking and diet all effect the dna of their sperm and can contribute to the ill health and even iq of their child.
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My mother smoked and drank throughout her pregnancies back in the day and had pefectly fine, healthy children. The vast majority of people who were born before the mid 90's would say the same I would guess.

You unfortunately can not know this yet. Smoking in pregnancy can alter the DNA of the child in a process called DNA methylation, an epigenetic mechanism in which small chemical compounds are added to DNA. So a child may appear fine in the years after it's birth but may be more prone to cancers, cardiovascular disease and lower pulmonary function later in life as the DNA alteration changes the function of certain genes.

And just as seriously, not only can the impact of smoking in pregnancy be later in life problems for the child but also in the children of the child. Smoking in pregnancy can damage your grandchildren as the DNA alteration can pass to the next generation.

iguana wrote: »
    Why did you cut off the rest of Grindewald's sentence that details her daughter's diabetes, which is type 1 btw and because of that she needs sweet sugary food or drinks sometimes in order to keep her alive?.

Because I wasn't referring to Grindelwald's own personal situation but rather commenting on the frame of mind that says 'I can feed whatever I want to my kids, nobody can tell me what to do etc'.... this line of thinking...
    I choose what is right and what is wrong for my child and my children, pc brigade says don't give a child

Is it pc to say kids should eat balanced diets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Well now, wasn't that the proper little hissy fit, I wonder why. This thread is akin to pouring water over some earth then watching the worms rise to the surface. All of the above is nothing but a blown out of proportion rant to disguise weakness and selfishness.

Your defense is laughable really. You threw in the 'as soon as a woman becomes pregnant she is judged' bit, if men could bear children they'd get the same heat. you are a host to another human being.

Moving onto the motorist thing, more blown out of proportion bull.. Driving past a pregnant woman :rolleyes: ffs, smoking a cigarette is a direct hit to your child each time you smoke. They are not comparable.

Most parents would never proclaim to be perfect, but they owe it to the child that never asked to be born the best start in life, and that includes its health.

Those who shout the loudest often are being defensive because they're in the wrong..

It's AH - I'm aloud to have a little hissy fit if I like as long as I observe the rules of the forum.

Sorry I should have said pregnant "people" are judged... just to avoid any ambiguity about my comment. Where an earth did you get the idea i thought it was a sexist thing. Fact is MEN DON'T HAVE BABIES so it's a moot point.

And how would you know if I'm in the wrong or the right. Yes I have a child - but I've never smoked so don't get all high and mighty with me - I agree with you it's not the best start in life - I wouldn't do it myself - but it seems we're constantly looking for ways to criminalise a small percentage of parents who make decisions we ourselves would not make. Most pregnant women don't smoke. But hey let's all feel a bit better about ourselves by being self-righteous and judgemental about these demon-mothers that do.

Fact is OP was just looking to start a fight - if she was serious she'd have put this thread in the parenting or health forum - I was just throwing my two-pence worth in and didn't attack any particular poster - just generalisations. You my friend on the other hand seem to know my inner workings and how selfish and weak I am.

Must be those 15 abortions I had and the fact I'm still breast-feeding my 16 year old.

Because I wasn't referring to Grindelwald's own personal situation but rather commenting on the frame of mind that says 'I can feed whatever I want to my kids, nobody can tell me what to do etc'.

Nothing in her post suggested that she is of that frame of mind or that she was defending it. She has a daughter with an illness that effects what she can eat and she seems very clued up on it so I'd guess she probably knows more about childhood diet than most parents.

Nothing in her post suggested that she is of that frame of mind or that she was defending it. She has a daughter with an illness that effects what she can eat and she seems very clued up on it so I'd guess she probably knows more about childhood diet than most parents.

Perhaps that's how you interpreted it. I didn't
    I choose, not the government and not the pc brigade

Again I'd say the same line of reasoning is used by the parents who bring their already obese kids to burgerking etc. Parents don't always know best. Sometimes the government and the pc brigade get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sorry but where the hell ar you getting that from? Over 75% of the people in this country do not smoke at all. Do you somehow think that the 23.6% who do are all women of child-bearing age? Most pregnant women do not smoke at all so certainly don't have a sly one for no reason during their pregnancy.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=smoking%20statistics%20pregnant%20women%20ireland%202011&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CEwQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imn.ie%2Fclinical%2F17-clinical-news%2F3539-many-irish-pregnant-women-still-drinking-and-smoking&ei=1AGXT7OHA8K2hAe3iMWCDg&usg=AFQjCNGd_7rrhl_EwmiKbYsLS-i-6v1LRA

Lots and lots of men do just this and lots more while trying to conceive in order to do the best for any child they conceive as it's now well known that alcohol consumption, drug (including prescribed) use, smoking and diet all effect the dna of their sperm and can contribute to the ill health and even iq of their child.

I have yet to meet one.

And just as seriously, not only can the impact of smoking in pregnancy be later in life problems for the child but also in the children of the child. Smoking in pregnancy can damage your grandchildren as the DNA alteration can pass to the next generation.

surley this can happen just walking around the city inhaling all the crap in the air?

• Advertisement

Did you read that? It's about people who continue to smoke. The majority of pregnant women, like the rest of the population, never smoked in the first place.
    I have yet to meet one.

And I have never met an astronaut but that doesn't mean they don't exist.:rolleyes:

Or perhaps you have met them but they didn't discuss their sex lives with you. Most people don't talk about what they do when they are trying to conceive.

I have yet to meet one.

I don't smoke and I'll be giving up booze when TTC and during the pregnancy. Not that uncommon. This is why..
    Alcohol can reduce the quantity of sperm a man produces (his sperm count) and the quality of that sperm. One way in which alcohol does this is by preventing the body from absorbing zinc in the normal way. Zinc is found in high quantities in sperm. It is a particularly important mineral in the formation of the sperm cell's outer layer and tail. Zinc deficiency has been detected in men who have low sperm counts. Sperm cells need strong tails for good motility (the ability to move and swim and penetrate an egg). Alcohol consumption has therefore been linked to the production of abnormal sperm cells with deformed heads and tails. Abnormal sperm are less likely to be able to fertilize an egg and more likely to create a non-viable embryo, which may result in early pregnancy loss.

http://www.fertilityfactor.com/alcohol-sperm.html

Preparing for pregnancy - men
    Give up smoking. Smoking can reduce fertility, and partners of men who smoke have a reduced chance of conceiving too. Fathers who smoke also affect the health of their babies, before and after the birth. The risk of respiratory problems and cot death increases, for example.
    If you drink heavily, cut down or stop. Heavy drinking may affect sperm quality and make a successful pregnancy less likely.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/fertility/fertility_preconception.shtml

Did you read that? It's about people who continue to smoke. The majority of pregnant women, like the rest of the population, never smoked in the first place.

''Optimal pregnancy and infant health outcomes are not being achieved among Irish mothers, a conference in Dublin heard last week. Dr Roslyn Tarrant, PhD, clinical research and paediatric dietitian at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin, speaking at the Fourth National Antenatal Seminar, presented new statistics showing many Irish women continue to smoke, drink alcohol, and eat incorrectly during pregnancy.''

I read this.

Or perhaps you have met them but they didn't discuss their sex lives with you. Most people don't talk about what they do when they are trying to conceive.

Two of my friends are trying and yes we talk about it.

ntlbell wrote: »
    surley this can happen just walking around the city inhaling all the crap in the air?

Maybe, but if it does it doesn't somehow mitigate the damage cigarettes/alcohol/drugs/poor diet does. So that's actually a really, really stupid argument. If something you can't control certain causes of damage that's all the more reason to make sure factors you can control don't make things even worse. It's like saying 'ah well, the government takes 40% of my income anyway, what does it matter if thieves empty half my bank account.'

You can however change your diet, take certain supplements, change your style of underwear and do certain forms of exercise (not cycling) to reverse the damage caused by the environment.

I don't smoke and I'll be giving up booze when TTC and during the pregnancy. Not that uncommon. This is why..

Fair enough it's not uncommon for men to give up drink and cigs when their partners are pregnant. I still have to meet one who has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Tbh to each their own if someone wants to smoke/drink during pregnancy, but its a huge risk and i certainly wouldnt do it if hypathetically i ever fell pregnant, hopefully not :D, at least not for a very very very long time anyway, if ever!

One of my friends said to me while we were having a random chat a couple of days ago,

"ah sure if i got pregnant i wouldnt be giving up the drink, id still be going out on nights out like i am now"

:eek: i was shocked tbh at her then, i said it to her, i hope for her sake and the sake of any time if she does get pregnant that shes joking saying this!

yes, 9mths is a long time to go without drinking, especially if like myself you like your nights out, but thats just something youve got to do if your pregnant/want to keep it/and hopefully have a healthy baby.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but if it does it doesn't somehow mitigate the damage cigarettes/alcohol/drugs/poor diet does. So that's actually a really, really stupid argument. If something you can't control certain causes of damage that's all the more reason to make sure factors you can control don't make things even worse. It's like saying 'ah well, the government takes 40% of my income anyway, what does it matter if thieves empty half my bank account.'

You can however change your diet, take certain supplements, change your style of underwear and do certain forms of exercise (not cycling) to reverse the damage caused by the environment.

of course you could control it.

you know...a face mask...:eek:

but anyway so smoking because of that wasn't my point. but a line has to be drawn somewhere that line is different for everyone and things like you could risk changing the gene pool for everyone because some toss pot near you lit up a fag is a bit ott tbh

I read this.
    Did you even read that one sentence you emboldend? As I said it says continue.
    Two of my friends are trying and yes we talk about it.
    Wow two! Well that's everyone then.:rolleyes: Or then again there is Prinz who has stated his intention to alter his lifestyle or my husband who altered his diet, took some really nasty supplements, doesn't drink or smoke anyway but came off important medication, that may not cause fertility problems just in case, and as a result had to make MASSIVE lifestyle changes in order to just stay healthy. Or my relative who had to change his business practices for 4 years of trying.

ntlbell wrote: »
    but anyway so smoking because of that wasn't my point. but a line has to be drawn somewhere that line is different for everyone and things like you could risk changing the gene pool for everyone because some toss pot near you lit up a fag is a bit ott tbh

It's a scientific fact not an opinion. Cigarette smoke can alter foetal dna negatively, it's not something I think anyone is happy about, just the way it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Julia London

cant believe people are actually defending mothers who smoke and drink! only in backward Ireland would this sort of debate be going on. Anyone with an ounce of sense and integrity knows smoking can damage a baby. Why would any mother even take a chance? crazy. And anyone saying, My ma smoked and look at me. How in the hell do you know your DNA wasant damaged? or your organs. Maybe the fact your mother smoked has shaved a few years off your life expectancy.
    We all know the info on how dangerous smoking is, and if you cant give it up for 9 measly months theres something seriously wrong with you. And im an ex smoker so i know it can be done.

Wow two! Well that's everyone then.:rolleyes: .

In fairness it's not something that is publicised enough imo. When I was younger it wouldn't have occurred to me at all the link between alcohol and fertility. I was lucky in a way, one sibling went through IVF and had to re-adjust lifestyle (the cigs and booze were a no-no), another of my siblings is big into parenting etc and all that jazz so I got exposed to it that way, and lastly my mother in law is a nurse and had no problems inquiring after my sperm count if I was hungover :pac: Hows your head this morning? How's your sperm?....

Edit: That said I can't imagine anyone serious about TTC would not have come across the booze and fags information for both the male and female.

• Advertisement

Did you even read that one sentence you emboldend? As I said it says continue.

Wow two! Well that's everyone then.:rolleyes: Or then again there is Prinz who has stated his intention to alter his lifestyle or my husband who altered his diet, took some really nasty supplements, doesn't drink or smoke anyway but came off important medication, that may not cause fertility problems just in case, and as a result had to make MASSIVE lifestyle changes in order to just stay healthy. Or my relative who had to change his business practices for 4 years of trying.

You are right iguana, you are always right. It must be great being you.

In fairness it's not something that is publicised enough imo. When I was younger it wouldn't have occurred to me at all the link between alcohol and fertility. I was lucky in a way, one sibling went through IVF and had to re-adjust lifestyle (the cigs and booze were a no-no), another of my siblings is big into parenting etc and all that jazz so I got exposed to it that way, and lastly my mother in law is a nurse and had no problems inquiring after my sperm count if I was hungover :pac: Hows your head this morning? How's your sperm?....

That's true. Tbh, only recently I was watching a tv show where a doctor told a concerned father to be that his medication couldn't effect his unborn child. It was only fictional but it goes to show that it's not a widely known fact, especially as it was an SSRI medication which top the list as causing sperm problems.
    You are right iguana, you are always right. It must be great being you.

No, I'm right about that particular point. However when I make an incorrect claim and someone shows me that it's wrong, I try to hold my hands up and admit it. It's not a nice feeling, nobody like being wrong but it happens to everyone.

You misread the link and made an incorrect claim. It happens, no need to get nasty.

Edit: That said I can't imagine anyone serious about TTC would not have come across the booze and fags information for both the male and female.

I think everyone knows about it but getting people to actually do all the right things is another thing.

@iguana, this thread is about women who smoke/continue to smoke during pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

No one said it was impossible. While it's easy for one person does not mean it's easy for everyone.

So what if it's not easy? Would you not want to do the best for your unborn child?

And yes I'm being judgemental, I don't care. I'd probably be a terrible mother but even I know not to smoke when pregnant. Jesus christ

@iguana, this thread is about women who smoke/continue to smoke during pregnancy.

You said the majority of women smoke in pregnancy. Not that the majority of smokers continue to smoke in pregnancy. Those are two wildly different statements as the vast majority of people don't smoke anyway. If you meant the latter you could have just said that when I first asked.

You said the majority of women smoke in pregnancy. Not that the majority of smokers continue to smoke in pregnancy. Those are two wildly different statements as the vast majority of people don't smoke anyway. If you meant the latter you could have just said that when I first asked.

:D

I don't know anyone who started smoking while pregnant. That would be mad even in my book. Sorry but I was talking about women who continue to smoke. :)
    If its so hard how do the majority of pregnant women quit!
    Majority of pregnant women have a sly cig everyday and go back on them the minute the baby is born.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

My mother smoked with me and my two sisters, and we all turned out perfectly!

Pwindedd wrote: »

It's AH - I'm aloud to have a little hissy fit if I like as long as I observe the rules of the forum.

Sorry I should have said pregnant "people" are judged... just to avoid any ambiguity about my comment. Where an earth did you get the idea i thought it was a sexist thing. Fact is MEN DON'T HAVE BABIES so it's a moot point.

And how would you know if I'm in the wrong or the right. Yes I have a child - but I've never smoked so don't get all high and mighty with me - I agree with you it's not the best start in life - I wouldn't do it myself - but it seems we're constantly looking for ways to criminalise a small percentage of parents who make decisions we ourselves would not make. Most pregnant women don't smoke. But hey let's all feel a bit better about ourselves by being self-righteous and judgemental about these demon-mothers that do.

Fact is OP was just looking to start a fight - if she was serious she'd have put this thread in the parenting or health forum - I was just throwing my two-pence worth in and didn't attack any particular poster - just generalisations. You my friend on the other hand seem to know my inner workings and how selfish and weak I am.

Must be those 15 abortions I had and the fact I'm still breast-feeding my 16 year old.
    More blown out of proportion horse manure. 15 abortions :rolleyes:

If you've never smoked in pregnancy why are you so okay with it? So would you have been okay to see your own son or daughter in incubation and poorly underweight?

I'm living fcuking proof my 'friend', so I'll get as high and mighty as I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I wonder how many men would do this? give up cigs and drink for nine months and then you can't do it while breastfeeding either, give it up for another year.
    Give up the booze? ...but ...but ...but I'm drinking for three!!!

Zulu wrote: »
    Give up the booze? ...but ...but ...but I'm drinking for three!!!

would you give it up for nine mths seriously just to support your partner?

• Advertisement

would you give it up for nine mths seriously just to support your partner?
    Seriously? If she asked, yes. I would. I'd crawl backwards over hot coals and broken glass if it would help her.

(but it's easy for me to say that seeing as she hasn't asked)

Seriously? If she asked, yes. I would. I'd crawl backwards over hot coals and broken glass if it would help her.

(but it's easy for me to say that seeing as she hasn't asked)

I really would like to see how many men would give up the cigs and booze for nine mths, I don't think many would.
    Most men I know can't give it up for the month of November not to mind give it up for nine mths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    I don't agree with smoking while pregnant, but at the end of the day - it's there body so there choice

by that logic , abortion is fine " its their body" crap dosent apply imo. They are carrying a baby , the only time that "its their body comes into it is if the pregnancy represents a danger to the woman , the baby is not their body , They have a responsibility to the baby at the end of the day.

I really would like to see how many men would give up the cigs and booze for nine mths, I don't think many would.
    Most men I know can't give it up for the month of November not to mind give it up for nine mths.
    Indeed, however, you're skirting one very basic and fundamental fact - men don't get pregnant. The man is not growing his child inside him.
    While I agree it's great if the men show support, there's little comparison or value in comparing the two.
    If a man get's locked everyday of the pregnancy, the child will not directly suffer. The same can not be said of the mother.

Indeed, however, you're skirting one very basic and fundamental fact - men don't get pregnant. The man is not growing his child inside him.
    While I agree it's great if the men show support, there's little comparison or value in comparing the two.
    If a man get's locked everyday of the pregnancy, the child will not directly suffer. The same can not be said of the mother.

I know but I only asked as it was said on thread lots of men give up or would give up to support their partner, I was just wondering would they.
    Lots and lots of men do just this and lots more while trying to conceive in order to do the best for any child they conceive as it's now well known that alcohol consumption, drug (including prescribed) use, smoking and diet all effect the dna of their sperm and can contribute to the ill health and even iq of their child

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

I know a couple and while the woman was pregnant , he didn't touch a drop of drink , she smokes but stopped for the pregnancy , and he gave up drink , as a kind " we are in this together "

I know a woman who is smoking even though pregnant. I raised the issue with a family member ( just asking their opinion) and I got the f*cking head bitten off me , telling me "oh you wouldn't know what its like". :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭newport2

Tayla wrote: »
    Being overweight while pregnant can cause just as many problems for the baby as smoking but I never hear anyone giving out about that.

Can you envisage the reaction if they did?

facemelter wrote: »

I know a woman who is smoking even though pregnant. I raised the issue with a family member ( just asking their opinion) and I got the f*cking head bitten off me , telling me "oh you wouldn't know what its like". :confused:
    I would have loved to have been in your shoes, theyd be fcuking sorry, to put it mildly. Excuse after excuse after excuse.

Besides not giving your child the option of whether it would like a cigarette or not, it looks disgusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

[SIZE="1"](but it's easy for me to say that seeing as she hasn't asked)[/SIZE]

I would. Not a bother

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

[SIZE="1"](but it's easy for me to say that seeing as she hasn't asked)[/SIZE]

I would. Not a bother

Advertisement