Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnant women smoking and drinking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Julia London

My husband doesnt smoke and im an ex smoker/non drinker. When i was pregnant he stopped drinking at weekends the odd beer he like through his own decision, and in the whole pregnancy only drank twice, once at a wedding, and once at a christening.
    When the baby was born my husband told me he would never be drinking again at weekends as he didnt want our child growing up in an environment were drink was a commonplace occurence. He now drinks occasionally at family events / special occasions. Im not anti drink or smoke. But i wont allow people smoke in my home, and i dont allow friends get drunk in my home either. Alcohol at a dinner party etc is only brought out when my children are in bed and i never allow excessive drinking around my kids. What people do in their own home is their business, but if your smoking and pregnant your endangering your baby every time you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Stupify

Abi wrote: »
    I would have loved to have been in your shoes, theyd be fcuking sorry, to put it mildly. Excuse after excuse after excuse.

Besides not giving your child the option of whether it would like a cigarette or not, it looks disgusting.

You can go around saying "its wrong! Its wrong!" but wrong and right mean **** in this world.

Power is the only thing that matters and the fact is in all these situations the power rests with the woman who is pregnant. She’s making the decisions and even with a poorly made decision such as smoking during pregnancy you don’t have any power to prevent her from taking that option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stupify wrote: »
    You can go around saying "its wrong! Its wrong!" but wrong and right mean **** in this world.

Power is the only thing that matters and the fact is in all these situations the power rests with the woman who is pregnant. She’s making the decisions and even with a poorly made decision such as smoking during pregnancy you don’t have any power to prevent her from taking that option.

Should she be allowed stub the cigarette butt out on the child's arm as well? While I don't think having a few cigarettes while pregnant is the end of the world, the "she has the power and you can't stop her" reasoning doesn't hold water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Alcohol at a dinner party etc is only brought out when my children are in bed and i never allow excessive drinking around my kids.

"Don't be going fucking doing stuff on their own like one of them couples like, you know. And don't be afraid to have a few house parties even if there's children involved. I was reared in a house like that - drinking and drugging going on - it didn`t do me any harm, you know." - Socrates.

Does anybody think there could be a link to ashtma and smoking while pregnant or being subjected to second hand smoke? Or perhaps a non smoking mother whos parent smoked when pregnant.www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au › ... › Asthma - More about asthma
    My sister in laws child has severe ashtma and has to have occupational therapy for rest of her life. The sister in law smoked while pregnant but didnt drink. She is racked with guilt and told me so. she didnt touch a smoke on the second baby.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »
    "Don't be going fucking doing stuff on their own like one of them couples like, you know. And don't be afraid to have a few house parties even if there's children involved. I was reared in a house like that - drinking and drugging going on - it didn`t do me any harm, you know." - Socrates.
    hmm well anyone doing drugs in their home with kids present is a disgraceful example of a parent. and as for house parties if you have to have one can you not arrange a babysitter?

Stark wrote: »
    Should she be allowed stub the cigarette butt out on the child's arm as well? While I don't think having a few cigarettes while pregnant is the end of the world, the "she has the power and you can't stop her" reasoning doesn't hold water.

The fact is no matter what legislation or laws are enacted women who smoke during pregnancy will still probably do it. The comparison between child abuse (stubbing a cigarette butt out on the child’s arm) and smoking during pregnancy don’t relate to each other in my opinion.

She has power over her own body was my point. And there is no way you can take away the power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

hmm well anyone doing drugs in their home with kids present is a disgraceful example of a parent. and as for house parties if you have to have one can you not arrange a babysitter?

What if the babysitter was invited to the house party?

You can't expect one of your guests to look after your kids, not cool.

And cigarettes and alcohol are both drugs (as is caffeine).

Seachmall wrote: »
    What if the babysitter was invited to the house party?

You can't expect one of your guests to look after your kids, not cool.

And cigarettes and alcohol are both drugs (as is caffeine).

True i agree cigs and alcohol are drugs . i have a non smoking house and alcohol on occasions not every weekend. More like 4 times a year truth be knoiwn these days.
    I was into drugs, drinks and smokes all through my early 20's, i quit everything and now im like look i want my family to have a safe environment to grow up in. If they grow up and do drugs I want them to always know im here to talk to about it and hopefully i will have taught my kids to do things in moderation and sensibly. My mother is an alcoholic so im firecely kinda against my kids seeing and growing up around drunk people or drugged people.
    As for the babysitter get a relative to take the kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

<snip>

Edited as post may be construed as a qualified person giving medical advice. Pro-tip: Treat any advice you see on an internet forum from someone purporting to be a midwife as you would medical advice coming from Bill Cosby.

• Advertisement

<snip>
    Glad a midwifes on here, does alcohol cross the placenta though? and if so do u know if that means your babies drunk/tipsy? Also does alcohol not effect brain cells?
    Genuine would like to know as it seems to be one doctor says one thing and another doctor has a different view.
    My sister in law is a midwife up in Dublin, the Rotunda. She wont touch alcohol when pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I'm over 6 months pregnant, and since I found out - I haven't touched a cigarette or a drink. Easiest thing in thw world for me - they all say to quit smoking, you have to really want to, and suddenly I did.

My hubby also quit smoking, and any friends who visit now smoke outside.
    He suggested that he quit drinking as well, but to be honest - I didn't see the point, he might as well have a drink when he wants one. But he has told me that there is no way he will touch a drop in June/July as he wants to be ready to drive me to the hospital when needed.

I personally view drinking and smoking while pregnant as morally wrong.
    I wouldn't do it myself, and I don't like to see people do it around me.

But that said, I would not look down my nose at a woman who has a glass of champagne at Christmas, or a drink on a special occasion.

Similarly, one cigarette, once in a blue moon, smoked by someone who is genuinely trying to quit, cannot be viewed in the same way as the women who smoke every day.

An occadsional indulgence/slip up is not as serious as ignoring the risks entirely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Glad a midwifes on here

A midwife with an advertising degree at that: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68895316&postcount=1 . I wouldn't take up drinking based on the advice of someone who's telling a few fibs about what course they were doing in 2007.

Whereas previously the occasional drink (one or two units once or twice a week) was considered OK for a pregnant woman, Government advice now states that pregnant women should avoid alcohol altogether.

This is a link to what i think is a reputable source, could be wrong but its saying dont drink in first 3 mths.

www.drinkaware.co.ukAlcohol & youFamilyCached

Stark wrote: »
    A midwife with an advertising degree at that: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68895316&postcount=1 . I wouldn't take up drinking based on the advice of someone who's telling a few fibs about what course they were doing in 2007.
    Maybe she wasant get on as a midwife!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭CroatoanCat

Blatant attempt at "look at me, I'm just the perfect mammy-to-be, I am", OP!
    Serously, why can't can't people just concentrate on self-improvement - becoming a better parent, partner, worker, whatever; a better human - rather than seeking to impose their standards on others? It reeks of insecurity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

When I was training to be a midwife in 2007 <snip>
    Mod: Are you actually a midwife, though?

Even if you are, this really isn't the place to be giving what may be construed as medical advice by someone just doing a quick search and coming up with this thread.

Blatant attempt at "look at me, I'm just the perfect mammy-to-be, I am", OP!
    Serously, why can't can't people just concentrate on self-improvement - becoming a better parent, partner, worker, whatever; a better human - rather than seeking to impose their standards on others? It reeks of insecurity.
    I dont think the OP is being insecure by raising this issue. The very fact this thread has revlealed so much ignorance about drinking and smoking while pregnant is brill. If one mother stops smoking because of this thread, then the threads great in my view

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I would have loved to have been in your shoes, theyd be fcuking sorry, to put it mildly. Excuse after excuse after excuse.

Besides not giving your child the option of whether it would like a cigarette or not, it looks disgusting.

In which case she can't stop me from hurling abuse at her.

I'm sure boards users that have smoked during pregnancy see me as an interfering wench, but I feel strongly about this as I was directly effected by it. For mothers that smoked during pregnancy years ago they could plead ignorance and lack of information, fine, but nowadays the information is there and doctors encourage the mothers to consider the child and give up.

The smoking ban was set in place so the public that do not smoke weren't forced to inhale it. Pity an unborn baby couldn't voice their own objections, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm sure boards users that have smoked during pregnancy see me as an interfering wench,

I don't and I'm sure no one else does either, we all make choices in life that others do not agree with. We all have out own opinions.
    It was my choice to say I smoked, I could have kept quiet about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm sure boards users that have smoked during pregnancy see me as an interfering wench, but I feel strongly about this as I was directly effected by it. For mothers that smoked during pregnancy years ago they could plead ignorance and lack of information, fine, but nowadays the information is there and doctors encourage the mothers to consider the child and give up.

The smoking ban was set in place so the public that do not smoke weren't forced to inhale it. Pity an unborn baby couldn't voice their own objections, isn't it?

From what I recall of a picture posted by you Abi not so long ago is that you've a fine pair of, eh....lungs, on ya altogether! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

nope don't make it illegal. if they are stupid enough to do that to their unborn child then **** them.

WE DON'T NEED LAWS FOR MORONS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Sharrow wrote: »
    Which studies, can you link to them?
    As the latest ones on drinking has said that the occasional drink can infact be good for expectant mothers.

And if they are to be made illegal what would be the punishment for such crimes?

So you're saying that a woman who doesn't drink should take up drinking once she becomes pregnant because it's good for her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

So you're saying that a woman who doesn't drink should take up drinking once she becomes pregnant because it's good for her?
    Sigh.

No, the post reads: the occasional drink can infact be good for expectant mothers

hondasam wrote: »

I'm sure boards users that have smoked during pregnancy see me as an interfering wench,

I don't and I'm sure no one else does either, we all make choices in life that others do not agree with. We all have out own opinions.
    It was my choice to say I smoked, I could have kept quiet about it.
    I think it was actually admirable that you admitted Sam, and in AH of all places. I had no intention joining the mob and give you a hard time over it. I hope you can see my angle too. To add insult to injury, both smoked heavily around me when I was growing up, and I incessantly have to clear my throat as a result. I have frequent serious coughs, that never seem to completely clear. Even typing this I've cleared my throat, and if I don't it bungs it up. I've this annoying shyte for life now.

As I said earlier in the thread, I don't judge my mother for it, I'm a seventies baby. There wouldn't have been sufficient warnings then to really stop a mother in her tracks and rethink smoking.

Ive never smoked, and never will. I've been effected, as have my siblings, and it will likely kill my parents too. Nothing good comes of it.
    MCMLXXV wrote: »

From what I recall of a picture posted by you Abi not so long ago is that you've a fine pair of, eh....lungs, on ya altogether! :pac:
    Haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

Off with their heads!!! Ah no twill never happen....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

Its disgraceful and disgusting , but people are always going to do awful things. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

depends what the drink is, some women are advised by their doctors to drink an occasional glass of Guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

micropig wrote: »
    depends what the drink is, some women are advised by their doctors to drink an occasional glass of Guinness

Are they actually advised to do it though? Or is it just that Guinness has some minor medical benefits? I'm sure there's tons of better ways to get iron other than Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think it was actually admirable that you admitted Sam, and in AH of all places. I had no intention joining the mob and give you a hard time over it. I hope you can see my angle too.

Yes of course I can see your angle Abi. I did not think posters were having a go at me personally and if they were it went over my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

Oh yeah, shud have said..

I only did midwifery for a year..

I only know what the lecturer told us that day..

Maybe she's wrong. I don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Mindkiller wrote: »
    Are they actually advised to do it though? Or is it just that Guinness has some minor medical benefits? I'm sure there's tons of better ways to get iron other than Guinness.

It really depends on the doctor.
    A generation ago, an expectant mother was advised to drink a glass of guinness, mixed with milk. (bleurgh) Many doctors still give out this advice, and of course, women should be able to trust their doctors. Others will say that one glass will not do any harm.

Doctors aware of recent studies will tell you to steer clear of alcohol as it can cross the placental barrier, and it is better to be safe than sorry. You share a blood supply with your unborn baby, so while your liver is processing the alcohol, your babies is too. And as size and weight etc contribute to your alcohol tolerance, you can infer that your babies alcohol tolerance is pretty damn low. That's just basic science.

I'm not arguing with you, you can of course hurl abuse at her if you want to.

But then aren’t you stopping to her level?

Let’s not forget that smoking is an addiction and for some people it’s a stronger addiction than for others.

I’m just trying to bring cold logic to the table here. There is no way to prevent woman who want to smoke during pregnancy from smoking during pregnancy. I’m not arguing rights and wrongs because they don’t exist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Mindkiller wrote: »

Well considering Guinness has been found not to be a source of iron. I'm sure there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I’m not arguing rights and wrongs because they don’t exist.

Sigh. Supreme fence sitter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Well considering Guinness has been fund not to be a source of iron. I'm sure there is.
    Yeah, but the reason I mentioned iron content is because the idea of pregnant women drinking Guinness seems to have always been grounded on this belief that it is a good source of iron. While in reality it only accounts for a really minute amount of a person's RDA.

Maybe there are other benefits I haven't heard of

I'm not arguing with you, you can of course hurl abuse at her if you want to.

But then aren’t you stopping to her level?

Let’s not forget that smoking is an addiction and for some people it’s a stronger addiction than for others.

I’m just trying to bring cold logic to the table here. There is no way to prevent woman who want to smoke during pregnancy from smoking during pregnancy. I’m not arguing rights and wrongs because they don’t exist.
    Stooping to her level? How can you compare words with poisoning a baby?

I agree you cant prevent a woman smoking. With this cold logic you speak of, she can have her cigarette but I reserve the right to look at her like something nasty I just stood on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Zulu wrote: »
    Sigh.

No, the post reads: the occasional drink can infact be good for expectant mothers

Even reading it that way - that would still imply that non drinkers should be encouraged to drink the odd time while pregnant, as it can be good for them! :confused:

prinz wrote: »
    Sigh. Supreme fence sitter.

But they dont. And if they did who decides whats right and wrong?

Is it the majority?

But they dont. And if they did who decides whats right and wrong?Is it the majority?

If you can't tell what is right and wrong about poisoning your unborn child I give up.

• Advertisement

Stooping to her level? How can you compare words with poisoning a baby?

I agree you cant prevent a woman smoking. With this cold logic you speak of, she can have her cigarette but I reserve the right to look at her like something nasty I just stood on.

Perhaps stooping to her level was a poor choice of words.

And you can of course look at her with disgust and shout at her. It might even work on some women. But I don’t think it solves the problem with all of them.

If you can't tell what is right and wrong about poisoning your unborn child I give up.

Opinion on rights and wrongs exist but they are opinions and not absolutes.

I think it is wrong but thats just my opinion, my morals don't count as law.

Opinion on rights and wrongs exist but they are opinions and not absolutes. I think it is wrong but thats just my opinion, my morals don't count as law.

There is no opinion involved in Foetal Alcohol Syndrome and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

One or two drinks every now and then is not going to cause this. Don't confuse the odd drink every now and then with an ongoing habit.

eviltwin wrote: »
    One or two drinks every now and then is not going to cause this. Don't confuse the odd drink every now and then with an ongoing habit.

I'm not. Plus if you go back the Independent article I linked to previously showing the study on some of the maternity hospitals you'll see three cases of FAS were identified, one from a case involving IIRC 0-5 units of alcohol per week, that could be two glasses of wine a week.

Regardless, there is a right and wrong with this. Again it doesn't have to involve something as serious as FAS. There is far too much of this 'there's no right or wrong' bollixology floating about on boards' IMO.

That is your opinion.

Edit: I'm against a woman drinking or smoking while pregnant but I would also be against a Law that takes away some of her rights just because she is pregnant. I don't have the answers. I'm just partaking in this discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

newport2 wrote: »
    Can you envisage the reaction if they did?

I think most people would remain in denial regardless and still wouldn't change their diet but we have to start somewhere because as a nation it's getting worse. I spent a lot of time in hospital during my second pregnancy due to unexplained bleeding and so I met a lot of ladies who were overweight and in there due to high blood pressure, which may have been linked to their weight in the first place and a lot of them would be giving out about the smokers too, they were all high and mighty thinking they were better than them. Of course there was also some pregnant overweight smokers too, one in particular stood out, she was extremely obese and could barely breathe, she had an oxegen mask most of the time but she still made her way out for cigarettes and her visitors used to bring her in loads of crappy food and smokes :confused:
    Does anybody think there could be a link to ashtma and smoking while pregnant or being subjected to second hand smoke? Or perhaps a non smoking mother whos parent smoked when pregnant..

Yes the studies all suggest that all those things are a risk, there is also a link between asthma and the pregnant women being obese or overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not. Plus if you go back the Independent article I linked to previously showing the study on some of the maternity hospitals you'll see three cases of FAS were identified, one from a case involving IIRC 0-5 units of alcohol per week.

Regardless, there is a right and wrong with this. Again it doesn't have to involve something as serious as FAS. There is far too much of this 'there's no right or wrong' bollixology floating about on boards' IMO.

You think its wrong, others might not.

I didn't find out I was pregnant with my first child until well into the 4th month and immediately panicked because I had spent that time drinking, smoking, eating all the things pregnant women are told not too etc

I was terrified something was going to be wrong but my doctor told me not to worry, that lots of women didn't find out they were pregnant until a couple of months in and rarely were there any problems. And sure enough my daughter was fine.

That is your opinion..

It's my opinion that Foetal Alcohol Syndrome exists, and is caused by the mother ingesting alcohol while pregnant? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Even reading it that way - that would still imply that non drinkers should be encouraged to drink the odd time while pregnant, as it can be good for them! :confused:
    you do realise that "can" =/= "will"? right??

• Advertisement
Advertisement