Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fishing as a hobby question

• 24-04-2012 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

OK - I just love watching deadliest catch and I was thinking I might invest in a small boat and go out around Galway Bay at the weekends with a small drift net or long line and some lobster pots.

Can I do this or do I have to have a licence or other paperwork?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

scholar007 wrote: »
    OK - I just love watching deadliest catch and I was thinking I might invest in a small boat and go out around Galway Bay at the weekends with a small drift net or long line and some lobster pots.

Can I do this or do I have to have a licence or other paperwork?
    Are you intending to do this for financial gain?
    Driftnetting will see you appearing in the local court in short order.
    Longlining and potting is allowed for personal use but you will have to be aware that licensed fishermen may get annoyed at your gear being set on top of theirs.
    You cannot sell fish without a fishing license, this is enforced by the SFPA.
    TBH liking a TV programme is one thing , the life of an inshore fisherman is quite another kettle of fish:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Are you intending to do this for financial gain?
    Driftnetting will see you appearing in the local court in short order.
    Longlining and potting is allowed for personal use but you will have to be aware that licensed fishermen may get annoyed at your gear being set on top of theirs.
    You cannot sell fish without a fishing license, this is enforced by the SFPA.
    TBH liking a TV programme is one thing , the life of an inshore fisherman is quite another kettle of fish:)

For financial gain? - No - I will keep the day job.

Surely the Bay is big enough for me to set a couple of pots without bothering anyone?

Didnt know that drift netting was illegal (I do now)

No - not for financial gain - Im partial to a bit of seafood.

scholar007 wrote: »
    For financial gain? - No - I will keep the day job.

Surely the Bay is big enough for me to set a couple of pots without bothering anyone?

Didnt know that drift netting was illegal (I do now)

No - not for financial gain - Im partial to a bit of seafood.

Yes, Galway bay is big but not all of it will hold lobster.
    Sandy ground doesn't usually hold lobster neither does Maerl or Mud.
    The rocky ground that does hold lobsters is probably fished already, just make sure that you aren't setting them over gear thats on the ground already.
    If in doubt ask rather than risk your gear being cut away.
    Drift netting can be used for Mackerel as well but the mesh size determines what you catch, if you have salmon or trout then thats when things get sticky.
    You may be better off using feathers or mackerel jigs witha hand gurdy where you see birds working .
    They are very effective for Mackerel.
    Good Luck with your endeavours and please stay safe with a lifejacket/s and a radio at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Great - Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

learn how to fish with rod and reel,you only catch what you can eat. unedibles like dogfish etc can be thrown back alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

PMU wrote: »
    unedibles like dogfish etc can be thrown back alive.

Dogfish are actually quite good to eat, remember when the same was said in Ireland of monkfish.

Word of caution though
    Last summer a friend and I were out with lines, when got back with a few dozen mackerel were checked at the pier by fisheries officers (while ignoring two spanish trawlers 100 yards away landing directly in to the back of artic trailers). Were told we were allowed no more than 9 mackral and could be charged.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    Dogfish are actually quite good to eat, remember when the same was said in Ireland of monkfish.

Word of caution though
    Last summer a friend and I were out with lines, when got back with a few dozen mackerel were checked at the pier by fisheries officers (while ignoring two spanish trawlers 100 yards away landing directly in to the back of artic trailers). Were told we were allowed no more than 9 mackral and could be charged.
    Totally incorrect there is no bag limit for marine fish apart from Bass(2)
    I would ask for their names and warrant cards to make sure that they were actually Fisheries officers and not just chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

CJhaughey wrote: »
    323 wrote: »

Word of caution though
    Totally incorrect there is no bag limit for marine fish apart from Bass(2)
    I would ask for their names and warrant cards to make sure that they were actually Fisheries officers and not just chancers.

OK. Thanks for that. Good to know in future,
    Were fisheries officers.
    Know of others who were hasseled also.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Thats daft you would think they would know the laws. Only restrictions are on bass as was mentioned above with a 2 in 24 hr period minmium catch of 40cm I think and a closed season during spawning in May cant remember exat dates till early June. Then if spearing no trout or salmonoid of any description and no spearing in freshwater under any circumstances. You can catch and land shellfish scallops. lobster cran etc by hand as long as you are freediving/snorkelling even having scuba gear back in your van could warrant an arrest. there are also prescribed grounds where the taking of scallops are forbidden. Most people think spearing is illegal its not and is probably the best way to fish in the world for the environment.

Advertisement