Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ipv6 addresses, protocol sftp does not seem to work

Options
  • 24-04-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭

Hi all, wonder if you can helo with something im working on

On ipv6 addresses, protocol sftp does not seem to work even though on ipv4 its fine

All attempts to contact nodes, servers, indeed any ipv6 address result in the command hanging.

sftp <ip address>

The protocols ftp, telnet and ssh work fine. Im not sure how to check this.

I have checked via local channels and google if there is any special method to do sftp, but it seems that my command above is perfectly acceptable. Can you help? Hopefully its just something trivial

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It could be blocked by a firewall?

I run and access most services over v6, but don't use SFTP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

But since sftp works over ssh, if a simple ssh worked then that would narrow it down a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Sorry to bump an old one but does anyone have any new ideas for this?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

You may need to "quote" the IPv6 address with square brackets to prevent the sftp client from accidentally parsing the address as a malformed v4 one.

For example, this is what happens for me:
    $ sftp 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::2
    ssh: connect to host 2001 port 22: No route to host
    Connection closed
    $ sftp [2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::2]
    Connected to 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::2.
    sftp>

FWIW, this is explained in the manpage for my copy of sftp:
    Since some usage formats use colon characters to delimit host names from path names, IPv6 addresses must be enclosed in square brackets to avoid ambiguity.

Advertisement