Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Out of something tragic, happens something great

• 24-04-2012 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Claire Squires, 30 years old, died on Sunday running the London marathon.

Until then she had raised around £400 for her chosen charity.

After word of her tragic death circulated, people have decided to donate to her page.

She was collecting for The Samaritans.

Now it's up at over £400,000 and showing no signs of slowing down

This is her page should you wish to donate...

http://www.justgiving.com/Claire-Squires2

Here's a link to the story..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17823840

Restored my faith in humanity somewhat.

RIP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

That 400k is just a running total you know

*gets coat*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

This is such a sad story, but what a way to go?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Restored my faith in humanity somewhat.

RIP

RIP too, but how does this restore your faith in humanity when we only act upon something when someone dies? This annoys the sh!t out of me and it's the point of not appreciating what you have until you lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

What a person. Really just proves that it doesn't matter how much money you have, or what yo do for a living, you can still live a damn good life and leave a lasting legacy to be proud of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

chin_grin wrote: »
    RIP too, but how does this restore your faith in humanity when we only act upon something when someone dies? This annoys the sh!t out of me and it's the point of not appreciating what you have until you lose it.

Fair point.

Just a great legacy to leave behind.

If only she knew what she achieved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

she looked and sounded fit

I dont usually do RIP threads but RIP :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

"Seven of the 11 fatalities during the annual race were related to heart diseases, two people suffered brain haemorrhage and one runner died after drinking too much water."

Is that right, 11 died?

every cloud has a silver lining :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I thought this thread was about Batman.

fair play anyway though. rip.

"Seven of the 11 fatalities during the annual race were related to heart diseases, two people suffered brain haemorrhage and one runner died after drinking too much water."

Is that right, 11 died?

yes. fatality = death

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Is that right, 11 died?

Over the events history.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It doesn't say how she died. Maybe The Samaritans should donate back some of the money to research into whatever her cause of death was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Is that right, 11 died?

Well, it would seem that's more than the Grand National. BAN IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

11 have died running it since 1981.

smash wrote: »
    It doesn't say how she died. Maybe The Samaritans should donate back some of the money to research into whatever her cause of death was.

they have not released the post mortem yet. I hope they do though and we get to hear about it. Im guessing an underlying unkown heart condition or SAD sudden adult death syndrome.

11 have died running it since 1981.

and the reason for the event in the first place is because a greek guy thousands of years ago ran the marathon distance to a town to deliver news, and died soon after he arrived gasping. I think his name was marathon or the town was marathon. something like that anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

How Ironic that a healthy fit jogger collapses from exercising too much at that early age.

*lights cigarette*

Suppose you can't believe everything you hear, points finger at the non-smoking brigade

So I suppose we're banning running now - yeah ?

smash wrote: »

Do you know what kind of work the Samaritans actually do?

(Obviously not)

Stiffler2 wrote: »

well in playgrounds anyway :rolleyes:

How Ironic that a healthy fit jogger collapses from exercising too much at that early age.

She didn't die from exercising too much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Over 800,000 people have run the London Marathon. 11 deaths while tragic are to be expected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

IM0 wrote: »
    well in playgrounds anyway :rolleyes:

Yeah - My sister actually mentioned this to me, it can't be true is it.
    Not in Ireland anyway ??

They've banned kids running in playgrounds in case they scrape their knee and sue the school. Totally ridiculous.

and they wonder why kids are fat these days ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

(Obviously not)
    Yes, they help people with depression, suicidal tenancies etc. Do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

IM0 wrote: »
    and the reason for the event in the first place is because a greek guy thousands of years ago ran the marathon distance to a town to deliver news, and died soon after he arrived gasping. I think his name was marathon or the town was marathon. something like that anyway.
    i heard it was named after a chocolate bar, but the choclate maker forgot to trademark it, and the organisers got the rights to the name in britain, so they had to change the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

(Obviously not)

Helping mugging victims on the side of the road in the middle-east?

Yeah - My sister actually mentioned this to me, it can't be true is it.
    Not in Ireland anyway ??

They've banned kids running in playgrounds in case they scrape their knee and sue the school. Totally ridiculous.

and they wonder why kids are fat these days ?

I remember this coming in when I was at school about 15 years ago, or they did in my school anyways. health & safety gone mad :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

She's an inspiration to all .RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Very sad but what a wonderful legacy. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

on a totally unrelated note, i was going to do that today fm shave-or-die thing for cancer research a few months ago. signed up on-line, then forgot all about it, the sponsorship form and t-shirt pack never arrived anyway.

but anyway, a couple of weeks ago a letter arrived in the post thanking me for my contribution of €92.15, which was nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What a person. .

:confused: Was she not just one of a few thousand people running the marathon and raisin money for charity until she happened to drop dead?

It's nice that so many people do that any all but she wasnt some maverick forging a path for humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

:confused: Was she not just one of a few thousand people running the marathon and raisin money for charity until she happened to drop dead?

It's nice that so many people do that any all but she wasnt some maverick forging a path for humanity.
    I'm pretty sure that had she had the slightest inkling she would collapse and die while doing so, she wouldn't have run but the fact that she died young ,doing something to help others makes her special .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

chin_grin wrote: »

It's not that people don't give money to charity otherwise. People decided to donate in her name to honour someone who tragically died doing something selfless & the fact that it's in her name will hopefully provide some solace to her family through it too.

OP, thanks for the link.

Advertisement