Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentist - Waterford (Major Fear)

Options
  • 24-04-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a dentist in Waterford. I have a HUGE fear and its something that I've been wanting to shake for years.
    Need to get some work done and want to push through the fear but looking for somewhere that aren't butchers but that are friendly and hopefully understand the fear aspect from an adult.

Heard there was a dentist in Tramore that will gas you (Anyone know of it and have a review?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Can I ask, how long has it been since you last went?

Dentists have changed a lot in recent years. In my opinion, there is no pain in a dentist that can compare to a tooth ache. The most painful thing I've had done in a dentist recently was a cleaning!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

As has been said dentistry has moved on a hell of a lot,i had not been to a dentist in nearly thirty years,had to go to get my teeth checked due to being diabetic,i have had two extractions and numerous fillings and no pain whatsoever,i use the brasscock dental practice,would thoroughly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I'd go along with the comments about dentistry progressing in recent years. After an awful experience as a child where I was so afraid in the chair that the dentist turned to my father and suggested (Australia, late 60's) I be slapped I got to a point where I could only have any work done under gas.

I was that way for years. As a young adult I'd take a sedative before heading to any of the Waterford butchers of the 70s - 80's.

Aside from an ill fated visit to a clown out at the brass cock who remarked on my long hair and suggested he'd give me clove oil instead of regular numbing injections in case I was a junkie (I'm not) I've had nothing but hassle free visits to the newer crop of dentists for the last 10 years. I tell them that I'm terrified and they go nice and slowly explaining everything and keeping me chilled.

I'd suggest, pick a decent dentist like the German lady out in Belvedere or someone else recommended here, do a prelim free visit where you let them know how terrified you are and then come back the next day to ease into things.

If push comes to shove, take a xananx an hour before you hit the chair but let them know you've done so.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Heres who I go to, http://www.dentalcentre.ie/about_us.html. Theres a few dentists there but I only go to Gus. Have done so for the last 13 years at least. Never had any issues and I have had alot of work done. He has all the latest toys including that yoke that blows sand at your teeth so if you have a small cavity they dont even use a drill anymore its cool and completely painless. Good luck :D

ps I have gone to public dentists when in secondary, oh, sweet, Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Doylers wrote: »
    Heres who I go to, http://www.dentalcentre.ie/about_us.html. Theres a few dentists there but I only go to Gus. Have done so for the last 13 years at least. Never had any issues and I have had alot of work done. He has all the latest toys including that yoke that blows sand at your teeth so if you have a small cavity they dont even use a drill anymore its cool and completely painless. Good luck :D

Gus is one of the best I've come across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Doylers wrote: »

That prefab place at top of Newgate street? yeah, not a nice place at all.

I've been going to Philip Christie of Town Dental in Canada street for the last 15 years or so and he's a nice chap as well as being a good dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

QUOTES-As a young adult I'd take a sedative before heading to any of the Waterford butchers of the 70s - 80's

That prefab place at top of Newgate street? yeah, not a nice place at all.

Them fellas in Newgate Street-the anacronym goes "Closed Until Next Tuesday Sorry".

Its a wonder anyone in the town has a tooth in their head after these SAVAGES scaring the ****e out of people in pain. I could name one but the fecker probably would come back and haunt me from the grave. I remember having a tooth hanging half out and the animal just grabbed it and pulled it out,it bled for days till me mother brought me to Dr Phelan in Patrick street,the man was sickened at how they'd left me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

hate goin to dentist too. Had an irrational fear of it. You have to face it, take 2 ibuprofens half hour before you go in. Getting needle is not painful, maybe a tiny bit. If he/she is doing drilling for a filling and you start feeling significant pain, just tell him and get more injection to numb you up good and proper. STAY CALM is best thing though, they aint going to kill you and you probably had worse pain that time you twisted your ankle.

Heard place on Catherine st./waterside is good. Williamstown dental is good, its nice there, young dentists, a filling might be 5-10 more expensive then others, im not sure. Im in the process of getting a load of them done, bit by bit as i cant afford to get them all done in short space of time. After a couple visits, its no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Noelene Walsh down in O'Connell street is mine.
    I'm absolutely terrified of them (probably after the same newgate street scarring a lot of us got O_O) but she was very patient when I had to get 1 of my wisdom teeth out a while ago.
    Now to make myself go back to get the other out that ive been putting off :o

• Registered Users Posts: 18 CasaBonita

cbl593h wrote: »

Them fellas in Newgate Street-the anacronym goes "Closed Until Next Tuesday Sorry".

Its a wonder anyone in the town has a tooth in their head after these SAVAGES scaring the ****e out of people in pain. I could name one but the fecker probably would come back and haunt me from the grave. I remember having a tooth hanging half out and the animal just grabbed it and pulled it out,it bled for days till me mother brought me to Dr Phelan in Patrick street,the man was sickened at how they'd left me.

Ah, the Newgate Street dentists, not so fond memories of those butchers. I remember having to get a tooth pulled up there when I was about 10 or 11 years old. Tooth was pulled (actually it was ripped out) about 10 in the morning and I was given a small swab of cotton wool to bite down on. It bled until about 6 o'clock that evening and I'm not talking about small amounts of blood either. Anyway there was damage done in taking out the tooth and I got an infection because of it and was put on antibiotics for a few weeks. Didn't go to a dentist for the next 20 years because of the experience.

OP - I found that when I started going to the dentist again I was amazed at how everything had changed. On my second visit I had to get another tooth pulled. No pain, no fuss, no blood, no infections, nothing. Hassle free all the way. Go for it if you need to get work done. I visit Richard Power on High St (around the corner from Penneys).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭decies

Off to Gus and the Hygenist Tomorrow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Noelene Walsh down in O'Connell street is mine.
    I'm absolutely terrified of them (probably after the same newgate street scarring a lot of us got O_O) but she was very patient when I had to get 1 of my wisdom teeth out a while ago.
    Now to make myself go back to get the other out that ive been putting off :o

+1

She's your own woman for those of us who still wake up with cold sweats thinking we're back in the grim prefabs of "Newgate st.". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Handy thread here, Noleen Walsh came out on top, started going to her and have been ever since :-)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60862285

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Im a bit skeptical about the whole "no pain in the dentists these days" comments I always hear. Im only 20, and even as a kid for me right up until around 2006 the dentist was a horrible experience for me every time. The one I went to was absolutely horrible and every visit was overly painfull. Anything that involved an injection hurt, even after the injection!
    I dont mind injections anywhere else on my body but keep them away from my mouth.

I havent been to the dentist since then for anything other than check ups (which are grand) and currently need a filling but Im just too scared to make the appointment for it. :o

It's all in the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

About a year and a half ago I was having trouble with a tooth and the surrounding gum after I chipped it. Was highly recommended a Dentist already mentioned in this thread but when I went down for my appointment the main dentist was away and I got a lad who seemed straight out of school. Long story short he tried to rebuild the tooth, (that was his idea) even though he said the cap or whatever wouldn't last long. It didn't! It fell off after a day and a half and I had to revisit the place. So he took the tooth out altogether even though he expressed surprise at how 'dark' and 'dirty looking' the inside of the tooth was (the enamel had chipped away). The next day was a Friday and I spent the night in absolute agony with where the tooth had been removed. By Saturday night I couldn't hack it anymore and went to the CareDoc. Turned out I had a gum infection all along and by taking the tooth out he completely exposed it and made it worse.

Awful service and cost me a small fortune between the return visit, the CareDoc and antibiotics. Was fuming. Will never go back because of it. Wouldn't put me off going to a dentist in general again though. Just be careful you don't get a rookie! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

deisemum wrote: »
    Gus is one of the best I've come across.

I will second that. A thorugh gent and all round nice guy also. His father in law is Dr Tully who is a really good dentist and very interesting to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Minister wrote: »
    I will second that. A thorugh gent and all round nice guy also. His father in law is Dr Tully who is a really good dentist and very interesting to listen to.

I'll third that :P I went to Dr Tully since I was little & I don't have a fear of dentists probably because of how nice he was! although he's not over there as often because he was unwell for a while I heard! but Gus is really good too, very reassuring and let's you know what hes gonna do so it's never a big shock :)

OP. don't be scared dentists today actually care about their patients, so you'll be in safe hands:)

Just out of Williamstown clinic now , usual 6 month Hygenist and check up. No problems , it's not too bad folks , nice clean fealing from tartar removed from back of front teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Just browsing and saw this...

Total coincidence as I'm going to dentist for first time in 20/21 years this weekend and got a mesage this morning saying i'm booked in with A T Papathomas....

Must say some of my fears have been relaxed by this thread and general good reports i read abut "Gus" on this and the OP's thread..

I had a similar experience at 9/10 was in a dentist (not in waterford) and the dentist barked at me...gave me a check up,injected me twice, drilled me and finally gave me a filling and never said what he was doing, i was on my own at the dentist came out and was groggy as hell and he told me to get straight back to school..jesus i was out of it for the rest of the day and said never again..

• Advertisement

Gus will look after you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Remember Mrs O'Hara in Newgate St? Was amazed to find her still practising in Health Board on Cork Road, have to say she did an amazing job on my daughters teeth over a twelve month period and was really lovely to deal with.

I only went to dentist myself last year after a twelve year gap but it was fine, went to Dental Clinic in Queen St in Tramore, the price was the most painful thing!!

I always thought it would be a good idea to put a massive where's Wally poster on the roof of a dentist's.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I always thought it would be a good idea to put a massive where's Wally poster on the roof of a dentist's.

Best idea ever! Those white ceilings can be soo boring to look at,finding Wally would be a treat:P

Advertisement