Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a new idea for online shop

Options
  • 24-04-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I dont know alot about websites!
    I have come up with a new product that I want to see if I can sell it online.
    I need a website that can sell this product on it.
    Is it hard to set up this type of site and will it cost much ? My product is just a small card that I want to make and sell

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭business bloomer

Hi there!

If you want to test the market I strongly recommend PayPal. You really need little HTML knowledge to integrate the button onto your Website - and setting up PayPal doesn't involve any upfront costs.

If you also want to save money on hosting for the website, there are some platform that offer free hosting: Google Sites, Blogger, Wordpress.com, etc.

At this stage you only need to buy the domain, build a 2 or 3 pages website, push with Facebook and Twitter and see how it goes.

Let me know how that goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭R3al

The key to a successful website is how you market it, you want to drive as many visitors as possible to the website without wiping out your budget on advertising so devise a good marketing strategy for the site dont rely on word of mouth alone as this may take some time to develop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

To be honest the above answers although correct are letting you onto the treadmill before u can walk...

Your wasting money, time and a lot of effort going that direction if you dont know your card/product wont sell. Also your competition your up against. Website costs.. hosting costs.. Internet marketing costs.. etc etc The list is endless and the learning curve is never ending to be fair..

What i think you should do to start with is go to ebay.. have some fun with setting up a decent landing page and see if your product sells. If it doesnt walk away no initial large costs gone :p

If it sells well come back to us and we can reccommend where and what website u will need, costs, hosting and all that jazz..

Having you go off now building a garage to change a spare wheel isnt what we should be advising you.. not just yet anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

A lot of people unfortunately think that all they have to do is set up a website, and then if the product is good enough people will buy it. It doesn't work like that. A website isn't like a physical shop where there are people walking by all the time and can potentially pop in for a look. There has to be a big effort made to bring people TO the website, and then maybe they'd be interested in what you have to offer, but maybe not.

It's hard to advise on the best way to go about it without knowing more about the product, so if you don't have to be protective over the idea then post up more details.

Advertisement