Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dry, weak and brittle hair - help! :(

• 24-04-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm just wondering can anyone help... At the moment my hair is in VERY bad condition from using heated appliances way too much and I also get highlights in my hair so that was drying it out alot aswell. Plus my hair is naturally curly (but not nice curls!) so it tends to be pretty dry anyway. can anyone recommend any products that might help? or can anyone recommend a supplement that would help make my hair stronger / grow faster?? I've been using morroccan oil but even that is not really making much difference cause my hair is so weak and dry. I've darkened the colour of my hair so that I hopefully wont have to get it coloured as often and I'm trying my best not to use heated appliances on it (only once a week or so now). Any help would be great. thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

awman wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm just wondering can anyone help... At the moment my hair is in VERY bad condition from using heated appliances way too much and I also get highlights in my hair so that was drying it out alot aswell. Plus my hair is naturally curly (but not nice curls!) so it tends to be pretty dry anyway. can anyone recommend any products that might help? or can anyone recommend a supplement that would help make my hair stronger / grow faster?? I've been using morroccan oil but even that is not really making much difference cause my hair is so weak and dry. I've darkened the colour of my hair so that I hopefully wont have to get it coloured as often and I'm trying my best not to use heated appliances on it (only once a week or so now). Any help would be great. thanks everyone.

Omg I feel I could of written your post! Last weekend I tried coconut oil, and have bought redken extreme range and also the sleep in rollers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

If I were you OP I'd go to a hairdresser (if you can afford it) and get a treatment. My hairdresser does this for me every so often and it's amazing. It's a hair mask that makes your hair nice and soft again. I can only imagine that it's a short term fix though. I often find that I can't stop touching my hair after I get it done because it's so soft. It's really worth it if you can afford it.

I take vitamin e tablets, cod liver oil and I eat fish twice a week for hair/nails/skin. Hope you find a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭awman

Hi Millem. Thanks for replying.
    My hair actually used to be quite nice, it was naturally curly and was quite thick until I started messing with it, I straightened it for years then decided I wanted it curly again but it never really returned to how curly it used to be so I opted for curling tongs making my poor hair weaker and weaker. Plus the highlights are thrown in there aswell so all in all my hair has been through a lot of punishment. Its no wonder it's in the state that it is. Did you find the coconut oil good? Do you put that on dry or damp hair? I've heard that kerastase products are good. Does anyone know where you can buy them? can you buy them online?

Hi wyrn, thanks for replying. Ya I think you're right, a salon treatment will probably do alot more for my hair than something I buy myself in a shop. I might ring my hairdresser and see how much it would cost to get a treatment done. I will definitely start taking vitamin tablets as well and I'll try the cod liver oil too. Thanks for the tips.

Hi Millem. Thanks for replying.
    My hair actually used to be quite nice, it was naturally curly and was quite thick until I started messing with it, I straightened it for years then decided I wanted it curly again but it never really returned to how curly it used to be so I opted for curling tongs making my poor hair weaker and weaker. Plus the highlights are thrown in there aswell so all in all my hair has been through a lot of punishment. Its no wonder it's in the state that it is. Did you find the coconut oil good? Do you put that on dry or damp hair? I've heard that kerastase products are good. Does anyone know where you can buy them? can you buy them online?

From jan-last week I was using kerastase chroma riche shampoo and mask, then ran out of shampoo, went into hairdresser and she said kerastase Bain de force (which I will continue to use till it finishes)! Two weeks ago got my highlights done and they recommended redken extreme so I bought all online (shampoo, cat spray and mask). I bought coconut oil (organic and extra virgin from superquinn €6) melted it, put on dry hair for 30 mins and washed out, put on cat spray and conditioned. Now I have to say I can tell the difference. Peter mark are doing 20% off kerastase and redken
    Til the 28th April. I buy online Off www.feelunique.com and www.lookfantastic.com To be honest it Is really getting to me now. The only thing I can think of is I used to always get 12 week blow dry which I haven't had down since last August. Maybe I need it done again but then I won't be able to use all the products as no doubts they contain sulphates etc. My hair is super thick but hairdresser said it is breaking now. Now it is the first time that i went to this hairdresser and i got very upset when she said it to me but then she said that it is so nice and thick she would love it etc so she just wants me to mind it! At this stage I am all out of ideas only
    Dye it back dark brown!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭okiss

I would get a blood test done with the doctor and ask if your iron, vit b level and throid can be checked as you may have a problem in this area. I know when my iron level is low I lose more hair than normal.
    I was speaking to a hairdresser once who had a client like you. This lady had tried every treatment going to improve her hair which was dry, curly and brittle like yours. She told the hairdresser that she was taking udo oil and the hairdresser told me she could not get over the improvement in her hair.
    You need to stay away from the ghd and don't get a 12 week blow dry as it is very bad for your hair due to the chemicals.

Okiss, I think you are right my diet is appalling to say the least! Do you reason a multi vitamin and udos oil or do you think pharmathon for iron and multi vitamin and udos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 realtastypages

Do you know what is fantastic for your hair! Moroccan Oil. It is expensive but it works wonders!
    Moroccanoil Treatment is really versatile, nourishing and residue-free formula can be used as a conditioning, styling and finishing tool. It blends perfectly with other products and even speeds up drying time. This treatment for hair completely transforms and repairs as its formula transports lost proteins for strength; fatty acids, omega-3 oils and vitamins for shine; and antioxidants for protection. It absorbs instantly to fill gaps in hair created by heat, styling and environmental damage.

Do you know what is fantastic for your hair! Moroccan Oil. It is expensive but it works wonders!
    Moroccanoil Treatment is really versatile, nourishing and residue-free formula can be used as a conditioning, styling and finishing tool. It blends perfectly with other products and even speeds up drying time. This treatment for hair completely transforms and repairs as its formula transports lost proteins for strength; fatty acids, omega-3 oils and vitamins for shine; and antioxidants for protection. It absorbs instantly to fill gaps in hair created by heat, styling and environmental damage.

Yes morrocan oil is good I use it every day. I have also tried orofluido, the kerastase one, oil arganic, and the penneys one which I didn't find as good. I am back using morrocan oil since Wednesday so hopefully it will help. Awman have you tried any or the other brands of oils? Kerastase one is only €27 til Saturday in Peter mark and 125ml and a lot of people swear by it!

Hi okiss - thanks for ur reply. I must admit my diet is a bit all over the place so maybe a trip to the doctor isnt a bad idea just in case. Thanks for the tip about the udo oil. I'll definitely have to google that and see where it can be got.

realtastypages - thanks for the tip about morrocan oil but I've already been using it and unfortunately it doesnt seem to be making any difference to my hair. It did make it feel smoother etc when I first started using it (after Christmas) but unfortunately lately it isnt making any difference.

Millem - I havent tried any other brand of oil, just the morrocan oil. Do you put the morrocan oil on dry or damp hair? I've been using it on damp hair. Can you heat it up and put it on dry hair or is that a no no??
    Thanks for letting me know that the kerastase products are on offer in Peter Mark at the moment. I might try go there at the weekend to pick up some bits. I definitely need a deep conditioning mask or something like that. I could try to leave it in for few hours while i'm lazing around at home. Hopefully doing that might improve the condition of my hair. Did you find the Kerastase products any good when you were using them? I'm wondering would I be better off buying the redken extreme range instead?? It's so hard to know what to buy, there are so many different products out there!

Years ago I used to buy the vo5 hot oil and I used to love it but at the time my hair was in pretty good condition anyway so I dont know if they were really much good or not. Maybe I'll pick up a couple of them and see.

has anyone heard of Bain de Force products??? and can anyone recommend them from experience?

• Advertisement

Hi okiss - thanks for ur reply. I must admit my diet is a bit all over the place so maybe a trip to the doctor isnt a bad idea just in case. Thanks for the tip about the udo oil. I'll definitely have to google that and see where it can be got.

realtastypages - thanks for the tip about morrocan oil but I've already been using it and unfortunately it doesnt seem to be making any difference to my hair. It did make it feel smoother etc when I first started using it (after Christmas) but unfortunately lately it isnt making any difference.

Millem - I havent tried any other brand of oil, just the morrocan oil. Do you put the morrocan oil on dry or damp hair? I've been using it on damp hair. Can you heat it up and put it on dry hair or is that a no no??
    Thanks for letting me know that the kerastase products are on offer in Peter Mark at the moment. I might try go there at the weekend to pick up some bits. I definitely need a deep conditioning mask or something like that. I could try to leave it in for few hours while i'm lazing around at home. Hopefully doing that might improve the condition of my hair. Did you find the Kerastase products any good when you were using them? I'm wondering would I be better off buying the redken extreme range instead?? It's so hard to know what to buy, there are so many different products out there!

Years ago I used to buy the vo5 hot oil and I used to love it but at the time my hair was in pretty good condition anyway so I dont know if they were really much good or not. Maybe I'll pick up a couple of them and see.

has anyone heard of Bain de Force products??? and can anyone recommend them from experience?

I am using Bain de force shampoo at the mo it is kerastase. The hairdresser said redken extreme is better than Bain de force for me. But told me to continue using it until it is finished then use redken extreme shampoo.It is also cheaper! I always leave mask in overnight if I get the chance and just rinse out the next day! I put morrocan oil in damp hair after I wash it but then I put it on every day when I am styling it. I don't know about heating it up! To be honest I don't think there is Much difference between kerastase vs redken as they are both loreal! I am just going to do what she told me! Ghds are a must for me but I know they are bad for your hair! It is a vicious circle!

Advertisement