Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arggh...

Options
  • 24-04-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a call from the other half to tell me my entire 180l Community tank has crashed. Introduced some mollies recently that brought in white spot, treated as I'd done before and though I lost all the mollies I assumed it would be fine since we'd managed to clear it before. Apparently all the fish are gone now, including the two the other half and the kids were really attached to: Nim and Mucker our two 5 inch clown loach.

Big cleaning job ahead of me and then what? Any tips for cleaning beyond just emptying the tank and cleaning with tank water? Is it worth sterilising the tank and starting a new cycle from scratch (could squeeze out other filters in it to get it going pretty quick again). If I sterilise the tank, how do I know I've removed all traces of the sterilising agent? What's best to use? Something like milton or fill the tank with a strong saline solution and then rinse it out a few times? All sounds like a lot of filling and siphoning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

That's terrible Sleepy, especially the Clowns. I'd definitely start again and thoroughly disinfect the entire tank. I would use a weak bleach solution and change the filter media.

I had something similar happen to me a few years ago after I'd bought five black Molly's from a very well known national petshop. I only buy from either, Seahorse or Aquatic village now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

So it's been decided. The tank is to be disinfected and we're on the hunt for something a bit different this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

:( bad news sleepy.

I dont know is it just me but when I have brought white spot into my tanks with a new fish i have never treated it and it has always just gone away :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

I wouldn't bother treating the tank with bleach as the chances are you'll not be able to rinse properly every piece of equipment in the tank and potentially leave traces of bleach in the tank. If no fish are left, why not continue the treatment and up the temp as much as the heaters allow it? With no host, the white spot will be easier to treat and you won't have to wait 6-8 weeks untill the tank is cycled again.

It is unfortunate to introduce sick fish in a tank, but without a quarantine tank, there's no guarantee that the new fish won't introduce any sickness no matter how reputable the shop is.

Aye, had lost some other fish in it prior to introducing the white spot. Suspected a dwarf gourami of bullying the others but then he died himself. Unsure of what was wrong as water parameters were fine. Have emptied the tank completely, rinsed it with a weak bleach solution, rinsed that out twice and have the tank sitting drying at the moment (should disperse final traces of bleach). Heaters, spray bar etc. are all going to get the foodsafe treatment used for home-brewing (soak in a cold water bleach solution, drain, submerge in hot water which disperses the bleach).

Going to start anew with the tank, everything's coming out of it for a full overhaul and a try at something new. Seahorse are going to take (another) small fortune off me on Saturday.

Anyone have any advice on treating plants which were in the tank? Have them in a smaller tank at the moment, was thinking a dip in some Protozin / Myxazin before a rinse in dechlorinated water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

Potassium permanganate is the safest treatment for the plants, it will kill any parasite, snails, etc. Leave the plants for 15-20 minutes in a diluted solution, rinse well and they will be safe to use in the tank as the fish are not harmed by the solution.

If it was me personally, I would discard the plants and start again afresh. It really is the only sure way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

i can give you replacement java fern if you need it...

Is it really necessary to throw out the plants? My java fern had come on lovely...

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is it really necessary to throw out the plants? My java fern had come on lovely...

Unless you're 100% sure what killed your fish then it's hard to be sure that you got rid of it. I'm not too sure about parasites and plants but I wouldn't take a chance for the sake of a few plants.

• Advertisement

I think that makes sense. Will definitely take you up on the offer of some java fern thanks fungun!

Advertisement