Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data transfer from a cell modem in Australia using the internet?

• 24-04-2012 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me? Not even sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes. :confused:

Current situation:
    We have a logger, with a cell modem, in the wilds of Australia making scientific measurements and storing them. From a computer in Australia, using an analog phone modem, the logger is dialled up and the data is downloaded. This is done once a day and the data is stored in a simple .txt file.

Preferred situation:
    What I need to do is to be able to dial up the logger from here (Ireland) and download the data every day.

Option 1:
    Just get an analog phone modem and make international calls to Australia. This though is very expensive.

Option 2:
    Replace the cell modem on the logger with an IP enabled modem. This would work perfectly and is what we do normally. However, if at all possible, we need to avoid visiting the logger to replace the modem. The cost of the new modem and the labour costs to get to the logger are very prohibitive in this situation.

Option 3:
    Finally this is my question.
    Is there any software out there that can use the internet to get into Australia and then use the local phone network to dial up the cell modem on the logger and transfer the .txt file? The same way that Skype works to dial from a computer to a cell phone in another country. I can't see why this isn't possible but can't for the life of me find anything on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me? Not even sure if this is the right place to ask but here goes. :confused:

Current situation:
    We have a logger, with a cell modem, in the wilds of Australia making scientific measurements and storing them. From a computer in Australia, using an analog phone modem, the logger is dialled up and the data is downloaded. This is done once a day and the data is stored in a simple .txt file.

Preferred situation:
    What I need to do is to be able to dial up the logger from here (Ireland) and download the data every day.

Option 1:
    Just get an analog phone modem and make international calls to Australia. This though is very expensive.

Option 2:
    Replace the cell modem on the logger with an IP enabled modem. This would work perfectly and is what we do normally. However, if at all possible, we need to avoid visiting the logger to replace the modem. The cost of the new modem and the labour costs to get to the logger are very prohibitive in this situation.

Option 3:
    Finally this is my question.
    Is there any software out there that can use the internet to get into Australia and then use the local phone network to dial up the cell modem on the logger and transfer the .txt file? The same way that Skype works to dial from a computer to a cell phone in another country. I can't see why this isn't possible but can't for the life of me find anything on the internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

You could get a local number in Australia from a VoiP provider. Take a look at www.mydivert.com for that.

You would be better off getting a broadband modem and get it via ftp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Option 1:

Make the calls to Aus via a VOIP connection ..... 2c per minute to an Aus landline ..... ? ? ?

.... maybe I misunderstand .... :(

Option 1:

Make the calls to Aus via a VOIP connection ..... 2c per minute to an Aus landline ..... ? ? ?

.... maybe I misunderstand .... :(

I know with sending an SMS via VoiP to the message centre does get squashed in transit and ends up all messed up as a result when you receive a message. I'm guessing its pretty much the same with VoiP. Your basically sending data through voice and compressing it. And many voip providers have many hops to get back to the receiver, and so the end result is messy. VOIP is for voice, not file transfer.

I don't think its recommended to use VoIP for data transfer. If you have a broadband connection, use ftp and transfer the files. There's no call charges, everyones happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Thanks for the reply's!
    Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Your basically sending data through voice and compressing it. And many voip providers have many hops to get back to the receiver, and so the end result is messy. VOIP is for voice, not file transfer.

Yep, my understanding (limited understanding) is that the cell modem at the logger converts the data to noise which is then sent down the phone line. Just like a FAX machine, the ear splitting noises from a FAX machine is the actual data been sent down the line. (Not trying to educate you guys as you know a lot more than me, just checking if my understanding is correct? Eager to learn about this.) I would need some software my side to convert it back into data, like a modem emulator, I think:confused: This type of data transfer was developed for copper wires, as you said when you use VOIP it might get messed up.
    I don't think its recommended to use VoIP for data transfer. If you have a broadband connection, use ftp and transfer the files. There's no call charges, everyones happy.

Yes, my Option 2 would be perfect however we have a few of these loggers in the middle of nowhere and it costs a lot to get someone out there to swap the modem for an IP one.

Thanks for your mydivert.com suggestion. I'll try and contact them and see if they think it might work.

What I have read about this since, indicates that Modem Over IP should do as you wish, if you can find a provider who offers this service --- Moip (V. 150.1)

I suspect that most business providers would do so, as a complement to their VOIP & fax T38 service.

Might be worth checking out ......

This may be of some interest
    http://www.upsite.co.il/uploaded/files/1168_1fc42d7db0c6c068937fd30ec0598f2c.pdf

• Advertisement

Thanks Johnboy!

I have read it. Can't say I understand it all but it has got me hunting in a direction that I think looks like it could work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Does the cellular modem present itself as a dial-up-networking type device to the laptop/pc it's connected to? If so all the logger would need is a local ISP (to save on call costs). This would give him a publicly available IP address, after which there as many ways to get the data as the day is long.

malachy47 wrote: »
    Does the cellular modem present itself as a dial-up-networking type device to the laptop/pc it's connected to? If so all the logger would need is a local ISP (to save on call costs). This would give him a publicly available IP address, after which there as many ways to get the data as the day is long.

Hi Malachy, not exactly sure what you mean?
    The cell modem is connected to the logger. The logger tells the cell modem to turn on at a certain time of day, everyday. The cell modem registers itself on the phone network. During this window that the cell modem on the logger is turned on, a PC somewhere else in Australia, connected to a phone modem, dials up the cell modem on the logger. Once there is a connection, the PC requests the most recent data recorded from the logger.
    Not sure how this fits in with what you are suggesting?

malachy47 wrote: »

The cell modem is connected to the logger. The logger tells the cell modem to turn on at a certain time of day, everyday. The cell modem registers itself on the phone network. During this window that the cell modem on the logger is turned on, a PC somewhere else in Australia, connected to a phone modem, dials up the cell modem on the logger. Once there is a connection, the PC requests the most recent data recorded from the logger.

Do you have an analog plug on your laptop? It would be no harm to try getting an ata and trying it to dial the Australia mobile.

Do. you have a broadband connection here? If you do then I'm sure there's some VOIP Modem software out there.

Do you have an analog plug on your laptop? It would be no harm to try getting an ata and trying it to dial the Australia mobile.

Do. you have a broadband connection here? If you do then I'm sure there's some VOIP Modem software out there.

Not sure what you mean, any chance you can elaborate?

I do have broadband.

• Advertisement

What I have read about this since, indicates that Modem Over IP should do as you wish, if you can find a provider who offers this service --- Moip (V. 150.1)

I suspect that most business providers would do so, as a complement to their VOIP & fax T38 service

I am struggling to find any MoIP providers, contacted a good few now and none seem to support it. Also tried some based in Australia.

Found that I can set it up myself but I would need some hardware in Australia in order to make the local phone call to the cell modem. Any suggestions for service providers?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭malachy47

Hi,

Sorry. Now that I understand your setup a bit better what I was thinking of isn't going to help.

Not sure what you mean, any chance you can elaborate?

I do have broadband.

The best thing to do would be to have broadband at the scientific base. That's probably not viable in this economy anyway so its not an option.

This is what I meant:

1. Setup a dialup modem with your computer to connect to the cell modem in australia.

2. Now setup an Analogue Telephone Adapter with your provider (I recommend linksys :)) connect this to the modem connected to your computer

3. You can now make cheap calls to austalia mobiles...

However, I remember depending on your provider, there MAY be an issue with fax like setups like yours and voip. I don't think VOIP is an option for you atm. Try posting in the Nets and Comms..

I am struggling to find any MoIP providers, contacted a good few now and none seem to support it. Also tried some based in Australia.

Found that I can set it up myself but I would need some hardware in Australia in order to make the local phone call to the cell modem. Any suggestions for service providers?

If you have the opportunity to set up a PC in Aus that can call the remote locations and get the data, then it should be easy enough to transfer the data to here using a dial-up connection and the same modem and tel line as used for the remote calls -- whether sent by the Aus end, or an ftp connection to the Aus end and copy the file/s ..... even sent automatically via email .....

The email option might be the handiest ... no exact timing needed so the Aus end would only need to be on line for the the sending of the mail ... keeping costs to a minimum.

Of course if the data files are large then maybe a broadband connection would be more suitable ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭crowej

EH 3g modem and Dropbox ?

Advertisement