Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Asteroid Mining Venture Backed by Google Execs, James Cameron Unveiled

• 24-04-2012 5:10pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.yahoo.com/asteroid-mining-venture-backed-google-execs-james-cameron-011205183.html
    A newly unveiled company with some high-profile backers — including filmmaker James Cameron and Google co-founder Larry Page — has announced plans to mine near-Earth asteroids for resources such as precious metals and water.
    Planetary Resources, Inc. intends to sell these materials, generating a healthy profit for itself. But it also aims to advance humanity's exploration and exploitation of space, with resource extraction serving as an anchor industry that helps our species spread throughout the solar system.
    "If you look at space resources, the logical next step is to go to the near-Earth asteroids," Planetary Resources co-founder and co-chairman Eric Anderson told SPACE.com. "They're just so valuable, and so easy to reach energetically. Near-Earth asteroids really are the low-hanging fruit of the solar system."

"A single platinum-rich space rock 1,650 feet (500 meters) wide contains the equivalent of all the platinum-group metals ever mined throughout human history, company officials said."

Looks like they plan to set up space gas station, a mining operation, sell water to NASA, and get a lot of valuable metals from the platinum group, which are used in a lot/i] of technologies today and are very useful for their unique properties. Also hilarious that James Cameron is involved. Anyway, I think it's great, about time. Looking forward to developments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Interesting. But you would run out of numbers before you reach the number of Titanic sequels that Cameron would have to make to keep up with the rate a company like that would burn cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

at the moment it would cost 1 billion us dollars to bring back 2 oz of platnium, thats what nasa works it out as

back to films cameron please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Are they sending Bruce Willis back up again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Bottle of Space flavour Deep River Rock : $1,000,000,000,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Crash the thing into the see bit by bit, Armageddon style. Or was that Deep Impact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I love Cameron, he's a lunatic when it comes to this kind of stuff, sure he wanted NASA to let him film some of Avatar in space.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Sea Sharp wrote: »

Since it cost's ~10000 to send 1lb of something to space, they could sell water to NASA for a lot of money and it would still be cheaper for them to buy it.

I imagine this will be hugely expensive, but they will be gettting SO much platinum etc...and look at the price of it. http://www.platinum.matthey.com/cgi-bin/graphing/jmpreset.pl?imagetype=raw&act=Graph+Display&metal=Pl&timeperiod=ELM

I'd like to see what kind of figures they have that makes it seem doable to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

davet82 wrote: »
    at the moment it would cost 1 billion us dollars to bring back 2 oz of platnium, thats what nasa works it out as

back to films cameron please

I'd sh!t 200 oz of platinum for a $1 billion.

I'm not sure how exactly, but I'd manage it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

what film is this?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sea Sharp wrote: »

Which probably would have sold to some idiots during the height of the bubble years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement