Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M8 X 100mm long Frame Fixers and Screws-Help

• 24-04-2012 5:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to install a shelf bracket on the wall.

Wall has 50mm insulated board on it,so using M8 X 100mm long frame fixers to go into the concrete wall behind.I used an 8mm masonary bit to drill the wall.

I cannot get the screws to go in all the way,either by hand or by electric drill with screwdriver bit in it.

I have an 80mm screw holding it up for the moment.But the 100mm screws dont seem to go in all the way.They go so far in and then get so tight that the drill ruins the screw head.:(

What am I doing wrong??

Are "Hammer In" frame fixers better than normal "screw in" fixers??

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

paddy147 wrote: »
    Trying to install a shelf bracket on the wall.

Wall has 50mm insulated board on it,so using M8 X 100mm long frame fixers to go into the concrete wall behind.I used an 8mm masonary bit to drill the wall.

I cannot get the screws to go in all the way,either by hand or by electric drill with screwdriver bit in it.

I have an 80mm screw holding it up for the moment.But the 100mm screws dont seem to go in all the way.They go so far in and then get so tight that the drill ruins the screw head.:(

What am I doing wrong??

Are "Hammer In" frame fixers better than normal "screw in" fixers??

Thanks.:)

Are you using the correct size pozzi drive bit in the drill/driver? is the torque set to mid range?

If the hole is deep enough, there's no reason these shouldn't go in with the correct driver...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Are you using the correct size pozzi drive bit in the drill/driver? is the torque set to mid range?

If the hole is deep enough, there's no reason these shouldn't go in with the correct driver...

I think Im using the right size pozi bit and torque setting is at mid range.

What size pozi bit should I be using for the M8 x 100mm frame fixer screws??

The holes were drilled to a depth of just over 100mm (drill bit with tape on it),just a slight bit longer than the actual 100mm rawl plug itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I think Im using the right size pozi bit and torque setting is at mid range.

What size pozi bit should I be using for the M8 x 100mm frame fixer screws??

The holes were drilled to a depth of just over 100mm (drill bit with tape on it),just a slight bit longer than the actual 100mm rawl plug itself.

From memory its probably a number 2, but you should know based on the fit of the bit/head. Check that the bit isn't worn down.

Should be no reason for them not to go in. Some of these frame fixings you tap them in with a hammer, then just screw them the last turn home and they are done.

From memory its probably a number 2, but you should know based on the fit of the bit/head. Check that the bit isn't worn down.

Should be no reason for them not to go in. Some of these frame fixings you tap them in with a hammer, then just screw them the last turn home and they are done.

I bent 2 screws by whacking them with the hammer out of sheer fustration.:mad::D

Took me several minutes of teasing them back out with a pipe grips.Phew.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

you need to drill further in. not much but some. you need a pozi no 3 for them screws, and put the drill on full torque but speed 1. the slower speed will give you more control when screwing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Frame fixers are unsuitable for this purpose as they need to be supported on their entire length i.e.frame and wall.
    Use 100mm x 6mm screws and brown plugs,Thorsmann plugs are best, enlarge the hole in the ins. slab a little as it makes it easier to push the plug into the blockwork

Well,it was me who wasnt doing things right.:(

Wrong size pozi bit (size 2) for starters,and screw gun set to a high gear.DOH.:o

Got a size 3 pozi bit and used 1st gear and allmost full torque on the cordless and guess what??

Straight in,in 1 clean go.

Happy Days.:)

aujopimur wrote: »
    Frame fixers are unsuitable for this purpose as they need to be supported on their entire length i.e.frame and wall.
    Use 100mm x 6mm screws and brown plugs,Thorsmann plugs are best, enlarge the hole in the ins. slab a little as it makes it easier to push the plug into the blockwork

So what about curtain poles on 80mm insulated slab then??

Everyone has told me to use frame fixers,even the builders providers have said 120mm long frame fixers.

What would you recommend then for a curtain pole onto 80mm insulated slab??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

paddy. make sure those frame fixing screws aren't too fat for your curtain pole.
    good to see the shelf brackets went in for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

So what about curtain poles on 80mm insulated slab then??

Everyone has told me to use frame fixers,even the builders providers have said 120mm long frame fixers.

What would you recommend then for a curtain pole onto 80mm insulated slab??
    Frame fixers are designed for "frame fixing", if thats all that's available for other uses so be it.

• Advertisement

kitser wrote: »
    paddy. make sure those frame fixing screws aren't too fat for your curtain pole.
    good to see the shelf brackets went in for you

All the curtain pole brackets had to be drilled out by 2 mm to allow the frame fixer screws to go through.:)

aujopimur wrote: »
    Frame fixers are designed for "frame fixing", if thats all that's available for other uses so be it.

What would you recommend then for 80mm insulated plasterboard with a concrete wall behind and hanging a curtain pole??

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,042 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

What would you recommend then for 80mm insulated plasterboard with a concrete wall behind and hanging a curtain pole??

Thanks.

I'd use something like this paddy. Unless the curtains weigh a tonne, you should be fine. I dont see a need to reach the masonry unless you are going for heavy fixtures such as large swivel & tilt TV supports.

31%2BMAhLUNmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

120mm Frame fixers,1 heavy metal curtain pole and thermal blackout curtains in place.

Happy Days.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    M8 is the bolt size. You have to use a 10mm drill bit. You have bolt size + sleeve will give you a 10mm overall size.
    NW

North West wrote: »
    Hi
    M8 is the bolt size. You have to use a 10mm drill bit. You have bolt size + sleeve will give you a 10mm overall size.
    NW

Appoligies,I should have said "F8 x 100mm" and "F8 x 120mm".......D'Oh.:D

Thats what it says on the side of the frame fixer.

So an 8mm masonary bit is the size for F8 sized frame fixers.

And as you said,10mm masonary bit for M8 bolt and sleeve.

Advertisement