Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help in finding cheap wifi-enabled router that works with modern applications!

Options
  • 24-04-2012 5:14pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, that was an eye-opener... haven't been able to connect to Steam or Minecraft for a while now, was looking through PortForward and what do I find? A page saying that my old D-Link DI624 is so old it can't support enough ports to run them anymore (since when did the Minecraft client use more than one port??!?) :eek:

So now I need a new router and fast! But the question is: if loads of routers no longer work with Steam, which ones do??!? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Any, a game will only open a port or 2. You only need to portforward if you're hosting a server, for traffic that originates inside your network it makes no difference. There's nothing wrong with that Dlink that you got, I've used a few of them. You most likely just need to enable plug n play (UPnP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 J2G

If your looking from something that's good and cheap try a Netgear DGN2200 Wireless-N ADSL2+ WiFi Modem Router this guy is selling them off like hot cakes and it kicks port forwarding out the window ....
    I got one because i was having nothing but trouble with eircom routers problems solved with i got it ..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Nope, UPnP was always enabled, the router suddenly started blocking most game traffic on all machines on my network one day for no apparent reason at all - no changes to the PCs nor the router settings. And Steam games can't run without Steam... which requires one billonty ports to be manually opened to work nowadays :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 J2G

hi Solitaire i'm by far no expert on Steam so don't hold me to it lol i was on a flyby and seen your post about a router , but i do know if everything was working fine before and Steam has been updated along the way it can screw with a firewall and stop Steam from connecting to the network.
    There is a few things that can affect your problem you might have being here already and did all this but if not here is a link Troubleshooting Network Connectivity anyway back to work for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Solitaire wrote: »
    Nope, UPnP was always enabled, the router suddenly started blocking most game traffic on all machines on my network one day for no apparent reason at all - no changes to the PCs nor the router settings. And Steam games can't run without Steam... which requires one billonty ports to be manually opened to work nowadays :o

The young fella's playing Steam games and Minecraft from behind my very tightly firewalled Mikrotik router without a hiccup. He's also hosting Minecraft and other servers from time to time, I've the ports forwarded.

Have you done a hard reset and upgraded to the latest firmware?

• Advertisement
Advertisement