Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutral Running Shoes - Any Recommendations?

Options
  • 24-04-2012 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

My recent attempts at running have been hampered by calf problems. My physio recommended a local podiatrist, who I visited today. Basically, she said there was nothing wrong with my feet/stance/posture etc., but I was very stiff and inflexible, especially around my pelvis and ankles, and this has led to my lower leg taking a lot of strain. She has recommened Neutral running shoes, with a slightly raised heel and good heel cushioning.

Has anyone here had similar problems and can recommend a suitable running shoe? I've done a bit of searching online and the Brooks Glycerin seems to fit the bill. Has anyone here had a pair?

I'm a 13.5 stone male who runs 15-20 miles/week.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

I had similar problems when I started.I was recommended Nike shows in the link
    http://www.runireland.com/node/11747
    On my 3rd pair now and love them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I think it would definitely be worthwhile getting a gait analysis done, if there is somewhere near you, this would give you some additional guidance.

As for neutral shoes, my favourite without a doubt are the Asics Nimbus, I've worn (out) 6 pairs of them. They just seem to be a good fit for me.

yes do a gait analysis.

If you're neutral after that personally I like Nike Lunarlon cushioning -

Nike Lunarglide, Nike Lunarfly are 2 trainers that might suit. Lunarglide offers some stability too but only comes in when you need it (it's dynamic).

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Technique wrote: »
    My recent attempts at running have been hampered by calf problems. My physio recommended a local podiatrist, who I visited today. Basically, she said there was nothing wrong with my feet/stance/posture etc., but I was very stiff and inflexible, especially around my pelvis and ankles, and this has led to my lower leg taking a lot of strain. She has recommened Neutral running shoes, with a slightly raised heel and good heel cushioning.

Has anyone here had similar problems and can recommend a suitable running shoe? I've done a bit of searching online and the Brooks Glycerin seems to fit the bill. Has anyone here had a pair?

Thanks.
    What shoes are you in at the mo? Also interesting that no one has said anything to you about sorting out your flexibility and core:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Technique wrote: »

Thanks.

The Brooks Glycerin is a lovely cushioned shoe but is slightly lower in the heel relative to similar shoes in its class. It is a 10mm heel to toe drop where the ASICS Nimbus, Mizuno Enigma are 12mm.

Be interested to know what shoes you had been in as the tightness may have originated from the posture of your feet while running previously as opposed to the check in the physio clinic. As suggested plenty of stability and stretching work for the whole pelvic area and lower spine will be of benefit to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Thanks for the replies.

I've bought the Glycerin from forrunnersbyrunners.com. I found Brooks difficult to get online, if I'd known you stocked them, Amphking, I would have given you the trade - I will next time. I've got some heel inserts for my daily shoes - could I use them in my running shoes or would I be better of using them as they were intended?

I was running in a bottom of the range pair of Asics Gel, bought when I thought that all running shoes were the same. Then a month ago a friend gave me his Saucony Ride 2, which he had just replaced, to try. They felt more 'substantial' than my old Asics so I've been wearing them up until now.

As regards my flexibility, my physio has recommended these stretches for runners by Gerard Hartmann. Can anyone recommend any other routines for flexibility / core strength?

Thanks.

Advertisement