Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pug puppy toilet training issues!!!

• 24-04-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hiya!

Hoping someone can give me some advice on this.

We have a 5 month old male pug pup. We have had him since January and have been trying ( with no luck) to crate train him. He just doesn't get it, he even wets and dirties his own bed in the crate. We bring him out regularly and wait until he goes but he doesn't seem to understand that he can't go inside!:(

He is very easy to train in all other aspects he can sit, give the paw, come on command, wait for his dinner patiently etc the only problem is the toilet training! Now I know he's only a pup but other breeds I've had have all been fully house trained by now! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

He just doesn't get it, he even wets and dirties his own bed in the crate. We bring him out regularly and wait until he goes but he doesn't seem to understand that he can't go inside!:(

Not sure how much information you have on crate training but you'll get numerous guides via google. With regards going to toilet on his own bed, you need to take your pup at regular intervals outside - even during the night, that's the only way you are going to stop that. He needs to be in a crate just big enough to fit his bed. The idea is that by taking him outside at regular intervals he'll wait because he doesn't want to do it on his own bed. If the crate is too big he'll just go to the toilet at the end.

When outside use a command like "Go Quickly", repeat it a number of times in a high, friendly type voice! Once your pup goes to the toilet, praise him alot. Repeat, repeat, repeat...

Basic information you might already know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Hiya!

Hoping someone can give me some advice on this.

We have a 5 month old male pug pup. We have had him since January and have been trying ( with no luck) to crate train him. He just doesn't get it, he even wets and dirties his own bed in the crate. We bring him out regularly and wait until he goes but he doesn't seem to understand that he can't go inside!:(

He is very easy to train in all other aspects he can sit, give the paw, come on command, wait for his dinner patiently etc the only problem is the toilet training! Now I know he's only a pup but other breeds I've had have all been fully house trained by now! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Twinkleboots, I was so terrible at trying to crate train any dog that came into my house because I never closed the door! A lot of people swear by crate training though. How long do you leave him in for? I am not an expert but is it max 4 hours during the day? They say a pup can hold its toilet for 1 hour for every month of age, do you get up in middle of night to bring him outside? I toilet train the old fashioned way no pads or newspaper and just bring to garden and when they toilet say eg "go pee" and loads of praise and a treat. All my dogs "go pee" on command which is very handy when you need to go out. I only take in pups when on my holidays from work (teacher) and it takes a few weeks til they get it! I remember reading a timetable in Victoria stillwell book that I found really useful. Be patient it takes a human a few years so you can't really expect a 5 month old pup to be fully toilet trained!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Hi Twinkleboots,

We are in the middle of toilet training our 5 month old pup as well. It is a lot of hard work but we are getting their bit by bit. I want to reach a stage where we can leave him in the house out of the crate safe in the knowledge that he won't use every floor in our house as his own personal toilet space!!

What I have found that seems to work well with toilet training is reward based training. We have a special treat reserved soley for when he 'goes' outside. We take him out and wait for him to either poop or pee, watching him while he is doing his business we repeat the command of either 'go pee' or 'make' (strange choice on the poop one but saying go poo over and over again just wasnt appealing to me). When he is finished his business I say good boy in a really friendly excited voice while scratching behind his ears (which he loves) and giving him a piece of the special treat reserved only for toilet training. I found our pup loves the 'coachies' they are little one calorie chicken flavoured treats that some in a pink pack and are specifically designed for reward based training.

We are still having the odd accident but we are getting there - a massive improvement from when we started. When we started I was outside with him for hours at a time trying to get him to go outside. As soon as I brought him inside, you can guess what happened!! Now I am outside for a few minutes repeating the commands and we usually get some action.

Our biggest challenge is now getting him to understand that he cant 'go' in the house when we are not there just because there is no-one around to let him out. One step at a time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

We are in the middle of training a 3mth Hugarian Vizsla.
    We have an offcut of carpet in the kitchen about 2ft x 2ft wide that was just used as a rug - of course when we got her home she weed on it, and now her scent is on it she will return to it to pee.
    Taking her out every hour and a half is minimizing this, but when she does go to it, instead of chastising her, we say in a silly voice 'go wee wees, go wee wees' over and over, and praise her.
    The same phrase in the same tone of voice is repeated when she pees outside, and now sometimes if we say it she will know she has to go and goes.
    We are slowly moving this piece of carpet closer and closer to the back door, in the hope that she will go to the door when she needs to go.

Advertisement