Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Criminal could not drive an automatic car!

• 24-04-2012 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Contender for dumbest criminal of 2012 here!

A man who tried to hijack a car with an automatic transmission, but fled when
    he realised he couldn’t drive it, has today been sentenced to three years in prison.

Gavin O’Leary (20) of Downpatrick Road, Crumlin, and another man dragged Hugh O’Neill from his black BMW just after he had parked on Dublin’s Fitzwilliam Square.

The men got into the car and were trying to drive away but were having difficulty moving it because it had an automatic transmission.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/archives/2012/0423/ireland/would-be-carjacker-could-not-use-automatic-transmission-548700.html#ixzz1syYt5uTG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

It's 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

In fairness, I struggled with an automatic the first time as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

Wesc. wrote: »
    It's 2012.

Arent you a good boy for knowing it is 2012!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭bensweeney

irish-stew wrote: »
    In fairness, I struggled with an automatic the first time as well.

Well Gavin they are not that hard to master!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

bensweeney wrote: »
    Well Gavin they are not that hard to master!

As hard as a bumper car to drive:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm guessing they couldn't release the electronic hand break or didn't know to put their foot on the break to put it in gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Domo230 wrote: »
    Never been in an automatic car. I'm sure I wouldn't know how to operate one either.

Ya the lack of a clutch can confuse at first. I nearly went out the windshield a few times when I took a test drive in one, I kept hitting the brake.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I'd refuse to rob an automatic car, if I was looking to rob a car and saw the PRUNDLE lever inside it I'd say 'they can hold on to that heap of shoite' and move on to the next one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Domo230 wrote: »
    Never been in an automatic car. I'm sure I wouldn't know how to operate one either.

I get my D's and R's mixed up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

FFS, Automatic transmission. Place shift into Drive and its like a bumper car from then on. Accelerator and break. Push accelerator to go, break to stop, when your finished driving, place car into park and repeat.

Think of a bumper car at the fairground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

FFS, Automatic transmission. Place shift into Drive and its like a bumper car from then on. Accelerator and break. Push accelerator to go, break to stop, when your finished driving, place car into park and repeat.

Think of a bumper car at the fairground.
    Jeremy Clarkson is that you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

If the car had being turned off you need to press the break and start button at the same time other wise it won't start . He is going to get an awful bad time in jail over this .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RichieC wrote: »
    I get my D's and R's mixed up too.
    I did this in Boston when the car was moving and blew up the transmission. :eek:

I ended up having to get a tow truck to take it away to the wreckers as it was not worth fixing. :p

Advertisement