Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you did as a kid

• 24-04-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Did you ever put an empty 5 alive carton on the back wheel of your bike to make it sound like a motor bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

That also worked with plastic bottles and tin cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nope. We had Umbongo (they drink it in the Congo!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sat quietly and played with my crayons and didn't annoy my uncle. That's what I did - not like these ungrateful little sh*ts.

F*cking baxtards the lot of them.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleazy Rider

Did you ever put an empty 5 alive carton on the back wheel of your bike to make it sound like a motor bike?

Lolly sticks wedged between spokes and frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Popped up and bounced up and down ferociously whenever the Riverdance record came on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I shat and pissed myself at will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Made peg guns , never took someone's eye out either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleazy Rider

There was an old paper factory that had this huge skip outside of it that was always full of paper. We used to climb on the roof and dive off into the skip. Great fun. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Inbox wrote: »
    Made peg guns , never took someone's eye out either :D

Broke a car window by accident with one of them. Caught red-handed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Nick- Knacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There was an old paper factory that had this huge skip outside of it that was always full of paper. We used to climb on the roof and dive off into the skip. Great fun. Happy days.

We used to go 'down the fields' and gather up some freshly made bales of hay, line them up under the big chestnut tree and jump off, daring each other to see who would jump from the highest branch.

How the fook we didn't kill ourselves....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Threw a stick thru the spokes of somebody's wheel......that got me grounded for quite a while :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I shat and pissed myself at will.

Did he mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

Off ground tig was always a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Collected tadpoles in jam jars, waited for them to become frogs, lost patience and fecked them out. We seemed to spend most of the summer running around the estate in our swiming togs without fear of being arse raped.

Getting an ice pop stick and using it to scrape up the soft tar between the concrete in the street, then sticking thorns off rose bushes into this and throwing them at each other. Bloody painful if you ask me.

Playing Cowboys and Indians without being told "Stop playing that! It's not PC!". Either way, the way I remember it is that we all wanted to be the Indians, nobody wanted to be the Cowboys.

Nope. We had Umbongo (they drink it in the Congo!).

I was in the Congo in 1997 and they certainly didn't have it there back then. i was a bit disappointed to say the least, wanted a pic of myself drinking an Umbongo in de Congo as a souvinier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I used to stand behind the telly and dance thinking that I was being broadcast on national television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

3-4 hour football maches on the green. some of which were epic :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

• Burned/melted toys I had become bored with.
    • Crushed things in a vice.
    • Rolled down sand dunes at the beach (still do this).
    • Wandered through fields until a farmer chased me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Buy a shít load of caps, wrap them aroung a penny and then cover that with electrical tape nice and tightly. They'd make some loud bang after you hopped them off a wall or something.

Also, those circlular caps for revolver cap guns. Stack them all on top of each other with a bit of tape. Then wack them with a hammer. That one sent me to the doctors but it was well worth it! :cool:

used to play hide and seek game in the woods near our estate. with sticks shaped into guns to 'hunt' with. we called it Predator :cool:

oh and climbing trees and kick stone 1,2,3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

IM0 wrote: »

And no matter what the score was, it was always decided by "last goal is the winner". :pac:

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Buy a shít load of caps, wrap them aroung a penny and then cover that with electrical tape nice and tightly. They'd make some loud bang after you hopped them off a wall or something.

Also, those circlular caps for revolver cap guns. Stack them all on top of each other with a bit of tape. Then wack them with a hammer. That one sent me to the doctors but it was well worth it! :cool:

my mam always warned me about guys like you ;)

nummnutts wrote: »
    And no matter what the score was, it was always decided by "last goal is the winner". :pac:

it was the only way, otherwise we would be there till night!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Used to love catching bees and wasps in jars.. We thought we were great cause we'd put a few flowers in the end of the jar for them.. Poor bastards

We're lucky we didn't get the arses stung off us..

Also used to play 'restaurant' with old tyres as stools up against a garden wall.. Menu usually consisted of muck, flowers and pebbles..

Collecting cans for 25p a sack

Making 'swings' on lamp posts with a piece of rope

Also spent much of my days doing shop runs for mine and my Friends' Parents.. I remember being served cigarettes at the age of 5.. Oh the humanity!!!! :D

we played another game with a wall in our estate. we had a ball and each person would take turns kicking it against the wall, but you could only hit it once [anywhere except your hands] unless you were soloing with the first hit from a volley off the wall. and if you let the ball stop after it rolled you were out. Im pretty sure we invented this game :cool:

oh and another one. we played 'walls' there was a terrace of houses on the estate with a wall near each gate and pillars. you had to walk along the walls and anything except stepping foot on the ground. you could jump from pillar to pillar, tightrope walk fences and grab around hedges which were sticking out of gargens over walls. looking back this is why I developed such awesome balance skills :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Used to throw metal hangers up along the electric wires (the 3 lines) and fuse the hell out of everything.

Caps, a match and some Sellotape. Homemade bangers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Had rock fights.

So many casualties...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

We used to see who could hold on to an electric fence the longest.

Was a pretty boring game until one day the damn thing was turned on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

*ball rolls over jumper goalpost*

Player1: Goal!!
    Player2: How? It went over the post.
    Player1: Yeah but if that was a real post it would have gone off the post and in!
    Player2: But it's not a real post it's a jumper.
    Player1: Yeah but it's there to show where the real post would be.

*argument ends with whoever the bigger kid was winning after threats of violence*

*same two people involved in the exact same argument at the other end two minutes later arguing the opposite sides*

• Advertisement

Had rock fights.

So many casualties...

oh we had that, but with 'muck balls' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

played with me willy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

we played another game with a wall in our estate. we had a ball and each person would take turns kicking it against the wall, but you could only hit it once [anywhere except your hands] unless you were soloing with the first hit from a volley off the wall. and if you let the ball stop after it rolled you were out. Im pretty sure we invented this game :cool:

That's Slam, you'd try send the ball down the road so the other player had no chance of hitting the wall :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Muck ball fights where a good laugh.
    IRA was good but if you where small you got a pounding.
    Nik-Naks knocking at doors and running off in the hopes of a good chase.
    Lighting Fires in the bushes.
    Climbing the pine trees at the local GAA and moving in the upper branches down the line of them.
    Climbing trees and jumping out, it hurt the oul balls with the bungee effect and is probably why I have no kids.
    Ah! the good old days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

oh we had that, but with 'muck balls' :D

Haha, us too.

Sometimes with hidden stones :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

my mam always warned me about guys like you ;)

Nobody was allowed play with cocoshovel :(

Used to love catching bees and wasps in jars.. We thought we were great cause we'd put a few flowers in the end of the jar for them.. Poor bastards

We used to catch them in the glass lucozade bottles, then after we had like 5-10 of them, line em up and shoot them with a metal pellet gun. :D

yeah....I spent my childhood in a somewhat rough estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Did my homework

Went to bed early

Held a begrudging attitude towards teachers

:cool:

kfallon wrote: »
    That's Slam, you'd try send the ball down the road so the other player had no chance of hitting the wall :D

yeah :p or 2 or 3 of your friends gang up on another so that one lays you up so that the ball barely touches the wall and with your next shot you whack [bog?] it down the 'goal line' to an imaginary corner flag and give yourselves ****s and giggles as they tried to curl it back in to stay in the game!

was great training though

good times :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Buy 10p bags, a sparkler ice pop and a bottle of cadet/panda cola and still have change from a 50p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Two man hunt
    Lighting bushes on fire
    Lighting treehouses/dens on fire
    'Borrowing' supplies off the local building sites
    Getting chased by farmers with shotguns
    Teasing the patients in the local psychiatric hospital (we were bad ****es really)
    Playing conkers
    Jumping off roofs into the neighbours gardens, bungalow of course
    Pebbledashed windows

Fun times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

When I was a babby, I used to dance intensely to this ad:

No smile on my face or anything, just a deadpan stare into the screen, dancing away...!

Also, been reminiscing lately about how a child's busfare used to be 25p... how I miss those times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

kfallon wrote: »

wrong again my friend, wall ball! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

mackg wrote: »
    *ball rolls over jumper goalpost*

Player1: Goal!!
    Player2: How? It went over the post.
    Player1: Yeah but if that was a real post it would have gone off the post and in!
    Player2: But it's not a real post it's a jumper.
    Player1: Yeah but it's there to show where the real post would be.

*argument ends with whoever the bigger kid was winning after threats of violence*

*same two people involved in the exact same argument at the other end two minutes later arguing the opposite sides*

Ball goes wide: Attacking side: "Penalty or a goal"

Ball goes in the goal: "Penalty or nothing"

lots of pointless penalties....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

codrulz wrote: »
    wrong again my friend, wall ball! ;)
    we used to call it "calling",as the name suggests you call the persons name who you want to go next,3 lives & your out :)
    also remember getting steel tips for my shoes during my ska days & being able to buy loose cigarettes from a shop,think it was 10p a smoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Used to make 'ramps' for driving our BMX bikes off, which was basically a pile of bricks and a length of timber laid on top of them...... I haven't seen a ramp in years, are kids nowadays too afraid of breaking bones to build one?

Also, kids these days don't seem to go conker-ing. We would be looking forward to the conkers being ready for weeks beforehand, but kids nowadays couldn't give a fcuk if they never saw a conker I'd say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Willingly got up at 8am every Saturday to watch cartoons accompanied with multiple bowls of cereal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

xzanti wrote: »

We're lucky we didn't get the arses stung off us..

Also used to play 'restaurant' with old tyres as stools up against a garden wall.. Menu usually consisted of muck, flowers and pebbles..

Collecting cans for 25p a sack

Making 'swings' on lamp posts with a piece of rope

Also spent much of my days doing shop runs for mine and my Friends' Parents.. I remember being served cigarettes at the age of 5.. Oh the humanity!!!! :D

Who bought the cans rummy?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

Wheelies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Set stuff on fire :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,650 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Trying to start a fire with a magnifying glass. Also as I posted in a similar thread, I once made a go kart from a shopping trolley and went down a hill that had a blind corner at the end of it:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Making slides in the winter by pouring water out on the path and using old jumpers to make the slide longer.

Knick-Knack, kick the can, queeny-eye-oh, sick-dying-dead-buried.
    Rounders, kiss chasing, hot square, bulldogs.
    15 a side football and only one goal.

Being sent to the shops - go on I'll time you. And falling for it.
    Eating sugar sambo's and drinking water from a glass milk bottle.

Catching bees, tadpoles, and frogs. Chalk drawings on the ground.
    Climbing trees - lamp poles, bus shelters - what ever could be climbed.
    Riding bikes with no tyres. Making trolleys - using bearings as wheels.
    Rocks were hammers, nails were used to hold wheels on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement