Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you did as a kid

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Licked coal.
    Ate snails.
    Sucked coins.
    Made mud pies.
    Children are gross alright :o

Non gross activities:

Tree houses.
    Hide and Seek.
    Played Snes.
    Pogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

I just remembered Pogs one day you could have had a massive tube,the next day you could have nothing,
    Other games included,hide and seek.tip the can,Lego,sega mega drive.curbs was another one,bulldog,

I don't no if anyone played this game but it was called"IRA"(I don't know why it was called that)basically there would be a large group split into two and scatterd around the estate,generally it was the older kids after the younger ones and basically if you where caught you would have had the ****e kicked outta ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

codrulz wrote: »
    wrong again my friend, wall ball! ;)

Is the correct name ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Collecting toys/tokens from the cereal boxes and battering your sisters for them.

Jumping on the hay bales and being covered in tics for days after

Re-in acting scenes from any programme which started with "don't try this at home". It was less of a warning to us and more of a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Collecting flowers and putting them in a jar full of water "to make perfume". I would seal the lid tight and leave it for a week and then open it expecting a magical wafting fragrance suitable for a queen... instead I was greeted with mouldy fermented flowers in a liquid stench.

Good times!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 DB Cooper 23

Collecting blackberries and squashing them up to make paint

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Another one was putting your hand down through the cereal bag to get the free toy at the end of it. Then sometimes, there would be two. You felt like the first inca explorers, because you know you got away scot free with malling all the cereal yet there was still a toy left!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Who bought the cans rummy?

I have NO idea :D my Cousin used to take them off us and give us the money..

Jackpot :p

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

stoneill wrote: »
    Making trolleys - using bearings as wheels.
    Rocks were hammers, nails were used to hold wheels on.

Speaking of trollies.. remember the days when trollies could be removed from the Supermarkets.. and if one turned up on your road, you and your friends would get hours if not days of fun out of it :D Jackass style!!

I'd say A&E have seen many a trollie injury down through the years :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

'Kiss, Cuddle or Torture' kind of like Kiss Chasing but the boy had three choices when he got caught. He always had to pick torture to save face, pick 'kiss' and you might look ghey :P

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

IM0 wrote: »
    we played another game with a wall in our estate. we had a ball and each person would take turns kicking it against the wall, but you could only hit it once [anywhere except your hands] unless you were soloing with the first hit from a volley off the wall. and if you let the ball stop after it rolled you were out. Im pretty sure we invented this game :cool:

We used to play something similar except we didn't mind if it stopped and you lost if you missed the wall.

There was a big hedge opposite the wall so generally we'd aim to get it over or sometimes on the hedge.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Don't you just love the names for the games.

Kerbs (hitting a ball off the kerb to score points. More if done backwards)
    Walls (kicking a ball off a wall to score points)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There was one house in the neighbourhood that was the central hub for all us kids. How they put up with us trampling the flowers and ruining the garden I don't know.

If the World Cup was on, soccer matches ensued until Wimbledon came on then the Tennis Pro's in us came out. I remember one particular Olympic Games the archery tournament started. Bows were make from sturdy sticks and twine and arrows from lighter sticks until we found the miracle that is bamboo. The house owner called a halt to the tournament when two of the kids got stabbed with arrows. Still, pull the arrow out, put on a dose of Merchurochrum (where is it now?), no hospitals, no guards, no sueing people.

That and Calamine lotion were the staple medical treatments of my youth and used for everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Made huts in the bushes and the trees, made from sticks to planks to anything we could find in the fields. We built the forts and found that the nearby teenagers used them to drink in, and would often fortify them. Scumbags from neighbouring estates would sometimes destroy the forts to take the materials for their forts, but this was seen as the way things happened. The next fort would be entered by a more secret entrance and would contain better stuff.

We'd climb trees and etch our names onto them. we'd string tyres off them, and read the writing from people that were there before us. We'd try to climb higher to put "our" mark "up there", and feel like we had achieved something.

Walked through the fields for hours, and have a "picnic" compromising of biscuits, jam "sambos" and a litre of diluted Ribena. Played hide--n-seek in the hay, made forts in the bales, went fishing during the summer with no fear of getting burnt as the sun was never that hot.

In the evening we'd play kerbs if there was only the two of us, making up more insane shots to get more points (stand on one leg, face the other way, and throw with your left hand with your eyes closed, and catch the ball before it bounced after it had rebounded off the kerb),or squares if there was 3 to 5 of us, or football if there was 6 to 10 of us.

We'd play "walls" whereby you'd bounce the ball off the wall, but if it went over, you could either bounce it off the top and get back "in" or bounce it off the top to make it go further back so the next person would have to bounce it off the wall.

No-one had a console, and those that did only had very basic games, so we never really played it.

We'd stay up playing "21" near the light pole, or Scale-Electrics.

Staying out late compromised of staying at a mates watching a movie with a can of 7up and a packet of Monster Munch, and random sweets that one pound bought (one pound was a lot of money back then).

Those were the days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

build a den out of cushions :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

antodeco wrote: »
    Buy 10p bags, a sparkler ice pop and a bottle of cadet/panda cola and still have change from a 50p
    Christ above, that takes me back! 25 years ago a fifty p was worth something when you were 9..

A lad in the q in front of me at the Hatch tried to buy a golf ball (1p gum) with 2 hal'pennies, the scabby sh1t behind the counter told him they dont take hal'pennies anymore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

When the grass around the neighborhoods various large greens were cut, we would gather up all the cut leftovers and make ring forts around tree's with them.
    Chill on top of the "green box". A large electricity box about shoulder height on an adult and could sit about 4 kids. The metal surface used to get so hot during the hot summers days and burn the legs off you.

I also used to enjoy walking through the large woods which got covered in blue-bells in spring. I never see hundreds blue bells anymore :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

created empires with ice lollipop sticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Used to scrape the sulphur off matches into empty parker or papermate cartridges, seal them with a pliers and light a fire under them, major bang, till mate tried it out and had no pliers so used a hammer instead.... Still has tha scar to prove it!

Heading off in the morning and not coming home till dark or hungry.

Collecting empty mineral bottles and getting 5p refund on each one. Then spending the proceeds on Sliders and Spangles.

Once stitched a whole suit together, stuffed it with paper, black bag over football for head, put a noose round it and hung it from a tree. Guards and army called to that one! Mate with scar was caught hiding in tree, jesus when I think of it he was one unlucky bollox :D

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

Kick the can, rounders, marbles, bike chasing and my fave - volley knockout. I won' get into the rules of that but maybe there are people from a certain place in tallaght that will know it, maybe not...

• Advertisement
Advertisement