Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

referendum on fiscal compact.

• 24-04-2012 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

So we are expected to vote yes to the fiscal compact. From farming point of view it would make sense.
    On the other hand, the likely new French president says he will renegotiate the whole thing.
    We have to vote end of May. He will come along afterwards, and get it changed, to benefit France and France alone.
    I have decided, to vote no, as no farmer would buy a pig in a bag, to paraphrase an old saying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I don't know enough about it yet. Though it may be a reckless move if Ireland would not be able to gain access to funds should we need them in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I have to agree that the idea of the French starting to give it a once over is potentially dangerous for the treaty..

However... I still think a no vote would be worse for us..

We're in a hell of a pickle and cutting ourselves off from Europe and help seems like a bad idea.. I think a yes vote is the best of a bad choice.. kinda like choosing between sour milk or blue-mould bread. :(

The devil is in the detail.. I'll need to see more information to be sure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

johngalway wrote: »
    I don't know enough about it yet. Though it may be a reckless move if Ireland would not be able to gain access to funds should we need them in the future.

Do you really think there will be any in the future? Do you think they care anything about Ireland once they have your yes vote?

Look at Greece.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

So we are expected to vote yes to the fiscal compact. From farming point of view it would make sense.
    On the other hand, the likely new French president says he will renegotiate the whole thing.
    We have to vote end of May. He will come along afterwards, and get it changed, to benefit France and France alone.
    I have decided, to vote no, as no farmer would buy a pig in a bag, to paraphrase an old saying.

The Public Sector workers voting yes to this Referendum would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. When Coveney was asked if these fiscal compact measures were being pushed by Troika, he said "no, we will be making the decision ourselves". Therefore, turkeys voting for Christmas. The Irish people are pushed to the pins of their collars and simply cannot pay any more. This government has got to give the Irish people some breathing space, as constantly, we are being asked to pay more (with less) to atone for the overexposure of the banks. It is time now to show our opposition to any further cuts, and take a stand like the main irish unions, and vote NO in this referendum. The union leaders know that if this treaty is not rejected, further austerity (hardship) measures will be imposed on their members. If the worse comes to the worse and we are forced to abandon the euro, so what, we would be better off joining Britain in staying outside monetary union and taking up with sterling. What harm has it done Britain, and they are not threatened with any censures by the European Union. Can we be any worse off than we are now, living from day-to-day, with no future. The only argument the government is putting forward, is that if we vote no, we will not be able to obtain any further funds from the European Central Bank. If we vote yes, it will guarantee that thousands of workers will lose their jobs, and the whole economy will continue towards its collapse. Blackmail is not a reason to vote yes. The government appear to think that once we are able to borrow, that's o.k. but we will still have to pay it back. We are not getting a concession, as we will be further overexposed by our borrowings. And it was borrowing that got us into this trouble in the first place. We now have the opportunity to decide which road we want to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The Public Sector workers voting yes to this Referendum would be like turkeys voting for Christmas. When Coveney was asked if these fiscal compact measures were being pushed by Troika, he said "no, we will be making the decision ourselves". Therefore, turkeys voting for Christmas. The Irish people are pushed to the pins of their collars and simply cannot pay any more. This government has got to give the Irish people some breathing space, as constantly, we are being asked to pay more (with less) to atone for the overexposure of the banks. It is time now to show our opposition to any further cuts, and take a stand like the main irish unions, and vote NO in this referendum. The union leaders know that if this treaty is not rejected, further austerity (hardship) measures will be imposed on their members. If the worse comes to the worse and we are forced to abandon the euro, so what, we would be better off joining Britain in staying outside monetary union and taking up with sterling. What harm has it done Britain, and they are not threatened with any censures by the European Union. Can we be any worse off than we are now, living from day-to-day, with no future. The only argument the government is putting forward, is that if we vote no, we will not be able to obtain any further funds from the European Central Bank. If we vote yes, it will guarantee that thousands of workers will lose their jobs, and the whole economy will continue towards its collapse. Blackmail is not a reason to vote yes. The government appear to think that once we are able to borrow, that's o.k. but we will still have to pay it back. We are not getting a concession, as we will be further overexposed by our borrowings. And it was borrowing that got us into this trouble in the first place. We now have the opportunity to decide which road we want to follow.

Most of us have not seen the detail in the treaty so it's hard to make a call at the moment...

A no vote will be the start of a split between ourselves and the EU..
    There is no doubt in my mind that they will be only too glad of an opportunity to cut off any access to further funding should ( rather when) we need it, a no vote will make that easy..

Given our current financial situation we cannot manage in the short/medium term while we get our affairs in order...

I've seen no hard numbers from the NO side on where money will be raised to run the country during the time we get our house in order.. Plain and simple we just wouldn't have he money to run Hospitals, prisons and general security.. Do people seriously think that council workers/guards/doctors/nurses/teachers are going to turn up for work when there is little or no money to pay them ?? 400,000 people on social welfare getting no payments?? Seriously folks, think about it... Most of the cash currently used to run the country is coming in from Europe, without that things would grind to a halt... Like it or not, it's a fact...

Saying that Britain have gone it alone therefore we can too is nonsense, we just don't have the domestic economy to manage nor are we trading at a level like GB to be recognised.. We'd simply be ignored and left to get on with poverty in our new 3rd world country.

There is no doubt we are in for hard times... a decade at least.. But plunging the country back into the dark ages just couldn't be the answer..

People are having hard times and little light ahead... but spouting popularist nonsense telling them to "stick it to the government" doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement

fodda wrote: »
    Do you really think there will be any in the future? Do you think they care anything about Ireland once they have your yes vote?

Look at Greece.

Any what? Need for money? Need to dig us out of a hole? Anything is possible. All these "bubbles" get repeated over and over all over the world.

If/when China's one goes pop, run for cover.

We're not Greece, I've never subscribed to that theory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

We are stuck between a rock and a hard place on this. The whole idea of balanced budgets and running a budget surplus is definately something we will have to do. A proper surplus that is, not the structural deficit type we ran for years under the last 2 administrations.

But when/if we manage to get to a 3% budget deficit in the next 2 years, our debt levels will be over 120% and we will still have to borrow over 2 billion a year to run the country and the treaty gives us 20 years to get to a 60% debt level. This would entail running a budget surplus of 3% for 20 years on average. I just cannot see the level of growth needed in the economy to sustain that kind of adjustment, and thats even before people start to question another 20 years of hairshirt budgets.

We are in the euro and they cannot throw us out. We nationalised 31 billion euro of anglo debt to keep the ECB from imploding and in return the ECB loaded us with penal interest rates and repayment terms and make us sit through lectures about how we need to repay all the debt(31 billion of theirs too:mad:) and pat us on the head like an obedient pup(while countries who do this lecturing fail to follow their own advice ie Holland,France). If we default then the euro will implode so they cannot let us fail.

I will be voting no unless the ECB take back their 31 billion of debt(both lender and borrower have to take a hit so the lenders, german landesbankes and french banks, have to suffer too, thats economics). The fiscal compact has very little i would fear except the timescale for reducing our debt levels, which is just not going to be possible unless our debt levels are reduced.

I doubt it will be rejected but 6 weeks is an awful long time in politics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Might consider voting yes if they would fuilfill the promise of the last Treaty... Lisbon for jobs!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Shower of jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Going voting no, this shower are proving themselves to be equally as bad as the last, no real public sector reform and raising more and more taxes. As usual even if we do vote no we'll be told to vote yes later.

For once it might be nice if the little guy tried to stand up for ourselves for a change. I know the country needs money but being expected to pay back the Anglo debt while the health service and other services go to SH*T isn't working either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

vote NO

it wont change a thing regarding our future in europe and will send a message to germany that they cannot dictate entirely , several countries of late have made it clear that they are unhappy with the way the european project is moving , holland , france looks like its going to boot out sarkozy and the likes of finland has an opposition which is extremley critical of things , we wont be booted out as our banks collapsing would greatly effect the large european banks who lent to anglo etc , we need to start being more troublesome , being humble and taking our medicine has got us nowhere

btw , i realise that even thier was no bank bailout , cuts would be needed , spending only got to where it was due to the property bubble and the taxes which stemed from it

• Advertisement

We're not Greece, I've never subscribed to that theory.

Do you think we will be treated any different than Greece when they have their yes vote?

I wonder if Greece were in the same boat, which way would they vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Vote No

It is time we stood up to the Franco/German (merkozey) allaince. I cannot see any light at the end of the tunnell. I agree we have to balance the budget however after four years of austerity there is no end in sight. When we started in 2008 we were told the heavy lifting would be done by growth in 2012/2013, In 2010 we were told growth in 2014/2015 now they are talking 2018-2020.
    We will not have to leave the EU if we vote down the Fiscal Treaty. Even if we do vote No with the French and German elections over the next eighteen months I cannot see any progress. I cannot see the government being willing to cut Welfare, Health Spending and public pay enough to get economy started so it is 'death by a thousand cuts'
    Even if we had to leave the euro would it be the end of the world especially for farming. As it is I cannot see the euro surviving as I cannot see the Spanish and Italians taking the cuts we have. the Italians always used inflation to solve their national debt problems. Unless the Germans allow the ECB print money and let a little inflation solve some of the problem and allow growth back into the EU I cannot see the Euro being here in 2 years time.
    At present a lot of workers have just enought money to cover their spending at present if the government have to take another 1000-1500 euro's out of the average family income over the next three years I cannot see these people coping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm currently in the vote no camp. I we vote no, and need to get more money, the EU of IMF are bound to give it to us anyay (from somewhere). The alternative is that we default and then all the German banks that lent us all the money may go under and/or possibly put the euro in doubt. I just don't think they will let that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

Originally I was in the Yes camp but the more I actually consider this the more I am inclined to change to No. The only reason I see been thrown around for Yes is we won't be able to access these new ESM funds when we cant return to the market in 2014. Maybe we will be alot better off not being able to access them and just deal with the IMF directly (that is what the IMF is there for, to lend to countries who cant access funds anyplace else), least we forget that in the current bailout our "friends" in Europe were originally charging us nearly 6% on funds while the big bad IMF were actually charging us a lower rate on their part of the package.

Also all we hear from the EU (Merkel and Rehn) is cut cut cut and pay back all your Bank debt (bank debt is not the main cause of our current problems btw), while the IMF are actually out there saying that the growth side of things must also be looked at along with cuts and relief must be given on these Anglo Promissory notes.

Another thing is what is this treaty actually going to do about solving the crisis, I believe absolutely nothing because the markets (traders in Govt bonds etc) are not stupid and know that this is just a fudge by the EU as usual. The Maastricht treaty already set a deficit limit of 3% but who took any notice of that? Ignored by even the Germans a few years back when it suited them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

KCTK wrote: »
    Originally I was in the Yes camp but the more I actually consider this the more I am inclined to change to No. The only reason I see been thrown around for Yes is we won't be able to access these new ESM funds when we cant return to the market in 2014. Maybe we will be alot better off not being able to access them and just deal with the IMF directly (that is what the IMF is there for, to lend to countries who cant access funds anyplace else), least we forget that in the current bailout our "friends" in Europe were originally charging us nearly 6% on funds while the big bad IMF were actually charging us a lower rate on their part of the package.

Also all we hear from the EU (Merkel and Rehn) is cut cut cut and pay back all your Bank debt (bank debt is not the main cause of our current problems btw), while the IMF are actually out there saying that the growth side of things must also be looked at along with cuts and relief must be given on these Anglo Promissory notes.

Another thing is what is this treaty actually going to do about solving the crisis, I believe absolutely nothing because the markets (traders in Govt bonds etc) are not stupid and know that this is just a fudge by the EU as usual. The Maastricht treaty already set a deficit limit of 3% but who took any notice of that? Ignored by even the Germans a few years back when it suited them!!

My position is exactly the same as yours. Was in yes camp, and have always voted in favour of all the EU treaty changes to date.
    However, I no longer believe, that our interests are best served by being ultra pro EU, or by being top of the class at meeting all the austerity rules.

It's time we caused a bit of trouble in Europe. It's time we grew up a bit, and lashed out with full force at the school yard bullies (Merkel and Sarvrazyhorse). Remember the school bully ........... always seemed to get away with it, till one day, the quiet lad, who took the sh1t for one day too many, suddenly exploded .......... :D ..... bullyboy became a tame runt for ever more:cool:
    Well, we have taken enough. Fcku them:P

Do you think we will be treated any different than Greece when they have their yes vote?

I wonder if Greece were in the same boat, which way would they vote?

Comparisons to Greece aren't relevant until we lie on an astronomical scale about our finances then fail to follow the plan to get us out of the sh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Comparisons to Greece aren't relevant until we lie on an astronomical scale about our finances then fail to follow the plan to get us out of the sh1t.

John, speaking about lies ................ our past government lied, and lied, and lied, and lied right throughout the crisis and the lead up to it, and for that matter for the past 15 years.
    Some of them got hauled before planning corruption tribunals, and performed to type .......... lied in the front door and out the side door.

When it comes to official corruption, lies, misinformation, mismanagement, cover ups, nepotism, .................. hey, we don't need to be looking down our noses at Greece:confused:

Tora Bora wrote: »
    John, speaking about lies ................ our past government lied, and lied, and lied, and lied right throughout the crisis and the lead up to it, and for that matter for the past 15 years.
    Some of them got hauled before planning corruption tribunals, and performed to type .......... lied in the front door and out the side door.

When it comes to official corruption, lies, misinformation, mismanagement, cover ups, nepotism, .................. hey, we don't need to be looking down our noses at Greece:confused:

Yes, they lied, to us. Not to get away from the issue my view on the past Govt was more institutionalised incompetence than anything else.

The Greeks lied about their national finances to the EU. Look it up.

- I'll save you the bother:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2011/09/12/greece-was-lying-about-its-budget-numbers/

That's an entirely different kettle of fish.

Our bubble burst for a number of reasons. But the Greeks are in the situation they're in through deception.

And I'm not looking down my nose at anyone, I'm stating a fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Yes, they lied, to us. Not to get away from the issue my view on the past Govt was more institutionalised incompetence than anything else.

The Greeks lied about their national finances to the EU. Look it up.

- I'll save you the bother:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2011/09/12/greece-was-lying-about-its-budget-numbers/

That's an entirely different kettle of fish.

Our bubble burst for a number of reasons. But the Greeks are in the situation they're in through deception.

And I'm not looking down my nose at anyone, I'm stating a fact.
    Not even a little bit?;)

5live wrote: »
    Not even a little bit?;)

No, my point was that we're not Greece. I was not insulting Greece, their Govt lied about their state finances, then didn't work to their plan, that's a fact. Where's the problem with what I said? :confused:

We didn't lie, we said we were up to our necks in **** and we were/are. A plan was brought together and we're working at it.

Difference. We are not Greece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

Does anyone on here know what line the IFA are taking on the Treaty?
    I firmly believe its a catch 22 situation and may just vote yes to get it over and done with rather than going through it all a second time,

But If the IFA were campaigning for a no vote, I'd be following them, as ultimately, they should be advising what's best for Irish Farming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

docmartin wrote: »
    I firmly believe its a catch 22 situation and may just vote yes to get it over and done with rather than going through it all a second time,

But If the IFA were campaigning for a no vote, I'd be following them, as ultimately, they should be advising what's best for Irish Farming

IFA advise what's best for "some" farmers!! BIG farmers!! Wouldn't take a blind bit of notice at what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Would love to vote no just to give that shower in government a slap in the face, (wrong reason i know but...) but then when you look at the shower campaigning for a no vote, sinn fein socialists, communists, trade unions, shadey business men... what have any of them to offer farming... so at the end of the day i might just vote "maybe" :)

No surprise but I am voting yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

docmartin wrote: »

You will vote yes so that you won't have to vote a second time.
    Now there's a valid reason to vote yes.

At the present, the farmers are doing well, top prices for cattle etc. so they are not sharing in the pain. Farmers are self-employed and submit their own taxes, so they can get allowances for expenses, purchase of farm machinery, losses, etc, and may not be getting hit as hard as the general wage earner.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

At the present, the farmers are doing well, top prices for cattle etc. so they are not sharing in the pain. Farmers are self-employed and submit their own taxes, so they can get allowances for expenses, purchase of farm machinery, losses, etc, and may not be getting hit as hard as the general wage earner.
    Haha typical outsider view of farming... beef prices might be good now but could be slashed any time, not in our control. sheep prices are falling milk prices are falling... Costs have rocketed and tend never to fall in relation to output... and guess what... us rich farmers have the lowest income levels of any sector in the country just ask the CSO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

SOME, farmers not going to be led by the nose this time out! Thank God! http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/farm-bodies-challenged-by-new-antitreaty-group-3108915.html

Farm bodies challenged by new anti-treaty group

A new group called Farmers Say No has challenged the main farm bodies to defend their pro-treaty stance in the upcoming referendum.
    "I don't know why the IFA and the ICMSA are so blindly following the Government's line on this issue," said former IFA county chairman and ex-ASA president David Thompson.
    The Limerick man is one of a number of farmers who have banded together to campaign for a No vote in the referendum on the EU's fiscal treaty.
    "The Government is trying to frighten us into a Yes vote. It's the same as Lisbon all over again," said Mr Thompson.
    "I believe that this new bail-out fund that we're being promised simply doesn't exist until this treaty is passed. But if austerity continues, not only will people buy less of our meat and dairy, but the CAP budget will also become a target for cuts."
    Macra na Feirme president Alan Jagoe hit back at the group, stating that he was "extremely disappointed with the negative view and appalled by their claims of lack of democracy within his organisation."
    "My national council extensively discussed and endorsed a Yes vote to help strengthen the adherence to balanced eurozone budgets," he said.
    - Darragh McCullough

BeeDI wrote: »
    SOME, farmers not going to be led by the nose this time out! Thank God! http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/farm-bodies-challenged-by-new-antitreaty-group-3108915.html

Farm bodies challenged by new anti-treaty group

A new group called Farmers Say No has challenged the main farm bodies to defend their pro-treaty stance in the upcoming referendum.
    "I don't know why the IFA and the ICMSA are so blindly following the Government's line on this issue," said former IFA county chairman and ex-ASA president David Thompson.
    The Limerick man is one of a number of farmers who have banded together to campaign for a No vote in the referendum on the EU's fiscal treaty.
    "The Government is trying to frighten us into a Yes vote. It's the same as Lisbon all over again," said Mr Thompson.
    "I believe that this new bail-out fund that we're being promised simply doesn't exist until this treaty is passed. But if austerity continues, not only will people buy less of our meat and dairy, but the CAP budget will also become a target for cuts."
    Macra na Feirme president Alan Jagoe hit back at the group, stating that he was "extremely disappointed with the negative view and appalled by their claims of lack of democracy within his organisation."
    "My national council extensively discussed and endorsed a Yes vote to help strengthen the adherence to balanced eurozone budgets," he said.
    - Darragh McCullough

According to Teagasc (today), farm income on dairy products rose by 32% in 2011 so this may be why ICMSA have advised their members to vote yes. However, Teasgasc also predicted a reduction in this figure for the coming year.
    This may be reflected by the massive growth in the unemployment figures as less money is available for the purchase of dairy products. Therefore, if follows that the SME sector must be ACTIVELY supported and targeted by government agencies through funding their activities back into a growth situation. At present, because of a lack of assistance and encouragement by the government agencies, the SME sector is in stagnation. Through growing the SME's. people can be taken off the live register and hope re-ignited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 fionnan the yawn

if the guys who are doing the negotitating on your behalf are not up to the job then you do it yourself and thats why you have a vote in a democracy to send a message to your representatives to continue on as is or to change direction, So if you think that the current plan is working Vote Yes but if you think that nothing has changed or improved by this course of action then Vote No :rolleyes:
    So here goes, are they the negotiators doing a good job? Uummh,In my opinion NO they are not
    Has it been labours way or frankfurts way.`well I think its going to be Frankfurts way and some pepper spray to help it go down a little quicker.If you think that you can do Eamons job better than he has done so far
    then Vote No.
    And if you believe that the guy coming to inspect your septic tank or water meter or your homestead / farmyard is over paid for his economic contribution to the nations wealth
    Vote No

Haha typical outsider view of farming... beef prices might be good now but could be slashed any time, not in our control. sheep prices are falling milk prices are falling... Costs have rocketed and tend never to fall in relation to output... and guess what... us rich farmers have the lowest income levels of any sector in the country just ask the CSO

Actually, I was born on a farm. All my relations are farmers, so I am not an outsider. However, I agree with the rest of your post. According to Teagasc, income levels have risen by 30% for 2011. The average small farm income is now €24,800 and the higher level more commercial farm unit income is €56,000. Agreed, not a massive income for a sometimes 24-hour, 7-day week. As you say, that may not last, so growth in other industries is essential to get us out of the mess we are in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Some of my thoughts....

Why do Irish people always seem to want to register protest votes in referendums, but rarely do so in elections?

this is not a vote where we can use our veto. the way it has been structured is simple. opt in, or opt out. this will go ahead with or without an Irish yes vote, just ireland will be excluded from accessing the new funds.

The IMF have said they will not support us outside of a troika arrangement.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument against this treaty. For too long now the world has been borrowing and borrowing and borrowing to fund spending far beyond what's actually affordable. we have to start living within our means.

And if you believe that the guy coming to inspect your septic tank or water meter or your homestead / farmyard is over paid for his economic contribution to the nations wealth
    Vote No

I find this to be an interesting proposition.

Most of the no campaigners are suggesting that a yes vote will lead to cuts in public sector pay.

how do you see a no vote as adjusting the pay of the septic tank inspector?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

The main changes that this Treaty would make are:
    The maximum structural deficit that a country could plan to have would be 0.5% of GDP. Each country would have a specific target for this agreed with the EU, which the country would have to work towards.The rules on structural deficits must be put into national law. The Treaty provides that there be an independent body at national level to monitor their implementation.The national law would have to include a procedure, to be triggered automatically, for ensuring that action would be taken if the structural deficit was greater than the target set.A failure to introduce this national law could result in the Court of Justice of the EU imposing a fine

The maximum structural deficit that a country could plan to have would be 0.5% of GDP. Each country would have a specific target for this agreed with the EU, which the country would have to work towards.

The rules on structural deficits must be put into national law. The Treaty provides that there be an independent body at national level to monitor their implementation.

The national law would have to include a procedure, to be triggered automatically, for ensuring that action would be taken if the structural deficit was greater than the target set.

A failure to introduce this national law could result in the Court of Justice of the EU imposing a fine.

like most peopel i'm still very undecided on all this. Liek others i too was under the impression that this 3% defict thing has in exestince since the mastrict and lisbon treatys. if it wasnt obeyed then i doubt it'll be obeyed now even if its going to be enshrined in law. Greece were able to fudge teh numbers for years to hide debt i'm sur there are plenty of other countried that will have lots of clever people working out how to do the same.

I have one question to ask that will decide how i vote and as yet i havent heard an answer from either side.

If we vote yes and the defict is enshrined in irish law what will the automatic mechinism that will kick in???? will there be an automatic rise in tax rates?? will the goverment pay scale be automaticly be cut, will there be new levies to be paid???

These are the thing to look at in the long term, external funding from trokia is only a short term solution (ideally) so what will be the consequence of a yes vote in 10 or 20 years??????

JohnBoy wrote: »
    Some of my thoughts....

Why do Irish people always seem to want to register protest votes in referendums, but rarely do so in elections?

this is not a vote where we can use our veto. the way it has been structured is simple. opt in, or opt out. this will go ahead with or without an Irish yes vote, just ireland will be excluded from accessing the new funds.

I have yet to hear a convincing argument against this treaty. For too long now the world has been borrowing and borrowing and borrowing to fund spending far beyond what's actually affordable. we have to start living within our means.
    True, but they should have brought it in years ago. Bringing it in now is like closing the stable door when the horse has bolted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

True, but they should have brought it in years ago. Bringing it in now is like closing the stable door when the horse has bolted.

Roll forward one or two elections, and we will definitely have the shinners with their armalite I mean dirty hands on the levers of power.

That's the day we need to worry about, more than the fiscal compact, or the ECB.:(

Land tax, to fund free this that and everything for their followers!
    Huge hike in PAYE for lads going out doing a bit of overtime etc,.

Why be arsed about Brussels and Frankfurt, when we have that on our own doorstep:eek:

Some of my thoughts....

They did register a protest vote the last elections. They put Fianna Fail down to single figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭yellow50HX

Roll forward one or two elections, and we will definitely have the shinners with their armalite I mean dirty hands on the levers of power.

That's the day we need to worry about, more than the fiscal compact, or the ECB.:(

Land tax, to fund free this that and everything for their followers!
    Huge hike in PAYE for lads going out doing a bit of overtime etc,.

Why be arsed about Brussels and Frankfurt, when we have that on our own doorstep:eek:

Sure isnt this happenign already??? who brough in the spteic tank charge, the household tax and are rolling out the new proptry tax???? who has set up the welfare spending over the last 30 years??? and which parties had members that got brown envoples and back handers???? which party's have been skipping thier own pay budgets to ensure thier own people are getting advisor jobs higer then the proposed rates???? the letters FF, FG and LAB will pop up a lot more often then SF.

this civil war politcs about guns and amo needs to given the boot. its been nearly 100 years since we've had to put up with terms like blue shirts and free stater and provo's. if you want to talk about guns in politics then maybe you should think back to when collins used the british cannons in the civil war or how jack lynch was contemplating arming the nationlist in the 60's. SF and DUP have have forced to work togeher and to put thier differences aside up north. if they can do it up north there is no reason why we cant work with them down here.

"whats good for the goose is good for the gander"

PS i'm not a member of any political party

I said rarely, not never.

One swallow does not make a summer.

How many euro related referendums have we had in the last 15-20 years. every time there is one you hear so much talk about voting no to teach the government a lesson.

Then when the elections come round and that same government promises the earth moon and stars to the electorate, with no indication of any foundation to their generousity the whingers suddenly dont want to teach them a lesson.

I said rarely, not never.

One swallow does not make a summer.

How many euro related referendums have we had in the last 15-20 years. every time there is one you hear so much talk about voting no to teach the government a lesson.

Then when the elections come round and that same government promises the earth moon and stars to the electorate, with no indication of any foundation to their generousity the whingers suddenly dont want to teach them a lesson.
    What party would you suggest to vote for? They are all the same when they into power.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Begob

BeeDI wrote: »

Well the lad they had on the front line last night was an out and out gom daw.
    Farmings bust in 3 months if we vote this through...apparently.
    What a load of rubbish!

The facts are,our last government decided to guarantee the banks,against the advise of both the then UK finance minister and the French one.
    If they hadn't done that,we'd have been on the pigs back,albeit it with some austerity.

What shocks me is so many on the no side seem to be either deluded,not really thinking about it at all or just think money grows on tree's.

A yes vote for me says,I am declaring that I want my country to be responsible with it's cheque book.
    As farmers we should at least understand that.

The mar dhea farmers for no campaigners when they say the cap money will run out if the EU keep increasing so called bail out funds are talking out of their hole.
    The ECB can and is printing more money and can be directed to do more of that by the member states at any time by agreement.
    So theres no limit to the supply of money really,it's just the Germans don't want that tool used unless there is a fiscal compact in place ie that the governments commit to responsible spending.
    I can't fault them for that which is why I'm voting yes.

As for those who are campaigning on the no side,they all think that it's a good idea,to make it harder for Ireland to source funds by píssing off the Germans.
    The bills for running the country won't go away you know by rejecting the treaty,which is why calling it the austerity treaty is laughable rubbish that should only appeal to people that are normally sadly ignorant of finances or who have the manna from heaven live off hand outs approach.
    The rest of us,particularally the farming community should have more sense and see the fiscal compact for what it is and that is common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Yer man on the frontline was some clown alright - he should be kept well away from any media or he'd be giving farmers a bad name

I thought the guy from the ICMSA came across quite well

Begob wrote: »

A yes vote for me says,I am declaring that I want my country to be responsible with it's cheque book.

Would this mean you understand that you cant keep giving money to things that aren't viable?
    What shocks me is so many on the no side seem to be either deluded,not really thinking about it at all or just think money grows on tree's.
    The ECB can and is printing more money and can be directed to do more of that by the member states at any time by agreement.
    So theres no limit to the supply of money really,it's just the Germans don't want that tool used unless there is a fiscal compact in place ie that the governments commit to responsible spending.

:confused::confused:

Print more money or grow on trees........what's the difference?

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Yer man on the frontline was some clown alright - he should be kept well away from any media or he'd be giving farmers a bad name

He was bad alright, all the same there was no need for the Plank to be so insulting towards him. He couldn't control either the panel or the crowd last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Begob

Would this mean you understand that you cant keep giving money to things that aren't viable?
    You can't compare it to the cap,the cap is there to ensure european farmers produce food,it's a payment,not a subsidy.
    Running up a huge government debt on the other hand for too many government employee's twiddling their thumbs,the 200 euro dole etc etc is a non productive subsidy that we can't afford and bond holders won't finance.
    :confused::confused:

Print more money or grow on trees........what's the difference?
    Central banks print money for productive reasons,usually to grow the economy by funding business via commercial loans and of course they reduce the value of the currency as a result making goods more competitive when sold outside the EU.
    Thats the difference.
    The latter,we as farmers looking at China and the far east and looking at our biggest competitors,Australia and New Zealand,should understand.It's another basic reason why a yes vote is very important for farming.
    Tipp Man wrote:

Yeah,it's the fellah from the no from farmers that I was saying was a gom daw.
    The ICMSA lad was clued in,had his homework done and knew what he was talking about.

Well the lad they had on the front line last night was an out and out gom daw.
    Farmings bust in 3 months if we vote this through...apparently.
    What a load of rubbish!

The facts are,our last government decided to guarantee the banks,against the advise of both the then UK finance minister and the French one.
    If they hadn't done that,we'd have been on the pigs back,albeit it with some austerity.

The mar dhea farmers for no campaigners when they say the cap money will run out if the EU keep increasing so called bail out funds are talking out of their hole.
    I can't fault them for that which is why I'm voting yes.

As for those who are campaigning on the no side,they all think that it's a good idea,to make it harder for Ireland to source funds by píssing off the Germans.
    The bills for running the country won't go away you know by rejecting the treaty,which is why calling it the austerity treaty is laughable rubbish that should only appeal to people that are normally sadly ignorant of finances or who have the manna from heaven live off hand outs approach.
    The rest of us,particularally the farming community should have more sense and see the fiscal compact for what it is and that is common sense.

It does grow on trees, well, sort of, as you yourself said they print it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

money has always grown on trees....just, that only a few people have those trees....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Kevin1150

He was bad alright, all the same there was no need for the Plank to be so insulting towards him. He couldn't control either the panel or the crowd last night.

Pat didnt give him much time to comment before disguarding his view. Knowing full well his character, pat purposely agitated him which was unfair. Aside from this his view was daft, and over a separate issue, has been recently expelled from IFA for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 fionnan the yawn

Can anyone explain to me how printing more money thus creating more debt(as this newly printed money is now not backed by a metal such as silver or gold but by an IOU s or debt) is going to get us out of debt, this is madness and this is what the YES side advocate printing more money taking on more debt to get us out of debt and keeping those famous ATM s open ,and I ask you who are we keeping them ATM s open for, and how will this debt be paid for because the existing tax base cannot cover the existing debt we have inherited from yesterdays yes men , the only way out of this hole is thru a write down in the 74 Billon of bank debt that those yes men took on in our name at three in the morning and these are the guys you want to follow in to the abyss or to paraphrase morgan kelly said last may we are now going to be reliant on the kindness of strangers ,(note strangers not friends especially friens we have to tug thrr forlock too)

You can't compare it to the cap,the cap is there to ensure european farmers produce food,it's a payment,not a subsidy.

Of course its a subsidy. You are taking money from the masses to give to a few. A farmer should be able to get the correct price for his goods in the shops.
    Running up a huge government debt on the other hand for too many government employee's twiddling their thumbs,the 200 euro dole etc etc is a non productive subsidy that we can't afford

True but govenments do this to avoid social unrest i believe.
    Central banks print money for productive reasons,usually to grow the economy by funding business via commercial loans and of course they reduce the value of the currency as a result making goods more competitive when sold outside the EU.

And this deck of cards came tumbling down because a currency should be based on the countries production and exports or/and gold reserves (wealth), but instead they decided to invent money by printing it and borrowing it to governments and banks to borrow to you and they are still doing it with the bail outs.......so in effect it can never work because eventually the tax payers money that they take and give back to the lenders, only exists because their jobs (tax payers) wages were paid with invented money to begin with and this just goes back to the people who never had the money to begin with......they just invented the money. So those who invented the money just become wealthier and wealthier and an artificial/false economy exists which has no value.........then it breaks .......but some will never let go and will try anything to keep the whole system going as it dies a slow death.....which is what is happening now.

If you have or make something of value and tax it........that is a proper economy but it is slower and the wealth is in the hands of the owners or manufacturers instead of the few.

Probably why all the wealth is flooding out to mineral/oil producers and manufacturers and not in to false economy countries.

• Advertisement
Advertisement