Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD and hard drive in the same computer

Options
  • 24-04-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭

So im up and going

My next step is deciding on files but im unsure about this section

Iv some drivers already on the ssd like ms sidewinder and sound card (didnt want them but they installed when I was downloading up dates for windows with SSD only installed (iv like only 32gb of space on the ssd left)

Do i leave the drivers on the SSD (and future drivers) or how does that work? Can I delete windows files from the old hard drive?
    Do i have to reinstall all my games even thou they are on the hard drive?

Can I move drivers from ssd to hard drive without effecting them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is Windows on the SSD or the HDD?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,381 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

SSD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Don't move any drivers to the HDD. The whole point is that the integral parts of your system are on the SSD. Your games are still on the HDD. Best way to find out if you need to reinstall is to run the executable.
    Did you just install them to the default folder? They're probably in d:\program files\game name. Try running the .exe file and see if it launches. The chances are that many of them won't because the registry settings are broken. You can still rescue saves which are usually in the old my documents folder or somewhere in with the old installation of the game.

Nope the games dont work from the Hard Drive so am i better off formatting the hard drive and getting rid of windows and games etc while keeping the important stuff like game saves etc?

So what do you think of this plan, keep the files I dont think I need in a folder on the old hard drive called "Old c drive" while keeping the new stuff iv downloaded/installed into a folder "new c drive"

I am puzzeled what ill do with steam folder i saved on the old drive and how do i get bf3 going again (bf3 will be using ssd)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Yeah, that's a good plan - put everything into the one folder and the delete it when you are sure that you've taken out everything you need. However, no need to make a folder called 'new c-drive'; you should have two drives now and you can use them whatever way you want. If I wanted to store the majority of games on the hard drive, I'd just install everything to d:\games. If you go moving them around afterwards, the registry entries will be broken again and you'd have to install again.

You can move the steam folder wherever you want. For example, you could move it to d:\games and your executable file would be d:\games\steam. You could also put it into program files on the c-drive or d-drive. When you've finished moving it, just run steam.exe. One thing that steam does well is fixing itself up when it's moved - it will patch itself up, fix any registry entries it needs and check what steam games it has in its sub-directories. No need to reinstall steam or download a game again.

So you might have a layout for your HDD something like:

D-drive
    -Old C-Drive (old files that you will delete later)
    -Program files (big programs that you haven't got room for on the SSD)
    -Games (the main bulk of games)
    -Downloads (big download files, as an alternative place to just throwing everything on your desktop or in my documents)
    -Documents and stuff (General files that you don't want filling up the SSD)

You can set the default install folders to be on the d drive if you wanted to.

• Advertisement

im trying to delete window files and the old program files in the program files (x86) and it just wont delete, need permission from trusted installer for some reason and other reasons why i cant delete

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Headshot wrote: »
    im trying to delete window files and the old program files in the program files (x86) and it just wont delete, need permission from trusted installer for some reason and other reasons why i cant delete
    Download something like TakeOwnership which you'll be able to right-click a folder and take ownership. Very handy for the above.

Personally, I have Windows, BF3, and maybe two other games, and a photo editing program on my SSD drive, and everything else on my normal HDD's.

I'd advise putting Windows and whatever game you play the most on the SSD, to get the full use out of it.

Thanks the_syco but I got everything sorted

I screwed up at one stage but after formatting the HD and reinstalling windows on SSD, everything is going grand so far, just a waiting game for me now

Advertisement