Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog stolen from man while walking!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Tarzann wrote: »
    Saw a man walking a husky-type dog on Carrickphierish road around 10.30 last night with a hurley in one hand. Was it anyone from here?!
    That was me ;) I bring her out for late walk before she goes in crate at night , no reason why I should stop doing that cause of minorities stealing dogs I just made sure I had some sort of deterrent to any would be thiefs especially as that road is so quiet at that time, its a japanese Akita pup , looks very like husky right now all right ha

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Are people alowed to carry around pepper spray? or one of those battons the guards have that kind of fold up like a toy lightsaber.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

jayboi wrote: »
    Are people alowed to carry around pepper spray? or one of those battons the guards have that kind of fold up like a toy lightsaber.

Not sure about pepper spray but the baton is a concealed weapon.
    The hurley is just sports equipment so thats fine :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Is there a new law coming in to ban people's carrying around hurley's as a result of people using them to beat the crap out of other people.... or did someone just make that up (not me).

Edit: as an afterthought maybe someone did make this up, how would people get their hurley's to hurling matches and the likes?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

sarah88 wrote: »
    Is there a new law coming in to ban people's carrying around hurley's as a result of people using them to beat the crap out of other people.... or did someone just make that up (not me).

Edit: as an afterthought maybe someone did make this up, how would people get their hurley's to hurling matches and the likes?

You'd be arrested unless you were able to produce a pair of ultra tight-fitting O' Neills GAA shorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

That sounds about right... Bring in a law to outlaw people carrying a protective shtick with them when out walking their dogs, but do nothing about the scumbags robbing the dogs and going around treating this country like their own personal playground that has no repercussions when they break the law...

as usual the law is set up to protect the criminals...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

You could say the hurley is to keep other dogs away from your dog. Sounds legit. Maybe.

You could bring a ball as well and say you are on your way to/from the park. I see lots of people in my local park with a hurley and ball playing with the dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Or you could just tell them that you have the hurley with ya to beat the **** out of anyone that trys to nick your dog,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Just carry a big dinner fork as there is no law against having one on your person. A nice poke of that in the eye will sort any scumbag out. If anyone asks why you have a fork on you just say that you were in the restaurant and always bring your own fork with you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

longshanks wrote: »
    You could say the hurley is to keep other dogs away from your dog. Sounds legit. Maybe.
    Ye and tbh I originally wanted a stick for that reason but the latest episodes give me other reasons for stick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

jo06555 wrote: »
    That was me ;) I bring her out for late walk before she goes in crate at night , no reason why I should stop doing that cause of minorities stealing dogs I just made sure I had some sort of deterrent to any would be thiefs especially as that road is so quiet at that time, its a japanese Akita pup , looks very like husky right now all right ha

Akita pups are lovely. They wont go near her when she is fully grown.

I heard about this robbery on noe of my friends facebook pages. It's disgusting that a poor fella cant bring his dog for a walk without some scumbag robbing his dog on him.
    Im thinking of getting a knuckle duster. If the guards ask me why Im carrying it Ill just explain I get really crusty snots and need something to pick at them before my nasal passage is clogged up and I die of snot asphyxiation .

Just say you're on the way to the park/a field to hit a ball with the dog. And if travscum (just a made up name, not pointing at any group in particular) come near you don't hesitate to aim for the head.

Do you have any idea what kind of life the dog's going to have once it's taken by these animals? Something tells me a GPS isn't going to help find the dog, unless it's dumped in a ditch somewhere after.

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Just say you're on the way to the park/a field to hit a ball with the dog. And if travscum (just a made up name, not pointing at any group in particular) come near you don't hesitate to aim for the head.

Do you have any idea what kind of life the dog's going to have once it's taken by these animals? Something tells me a GPS isn't going to help find the dog, unless it's dumped in a ditch somewhere after.

You wouldnt know are they robbing them to sell them or use em as bait ro whatever you call it for the fighting dogs to train on :(

travscum is a good generic name you made up. I salute you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Pepper Spray is considered a firearm, and will carry a minimum term of 5 years if caught, regardless of the reason.

An extendable baton is an offensive weapon, and can also carry a 5 year jail term. It will definitely get you in serious trouble, as there is absolutely no legal reason for having one on you if you're not an on-duty Garda.

As for the hurley, have a tennis ball with you and as derekeire said, say you're going for a puck around with the dag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Pepper Spray is considered a firearm, and will carry a minimum term of 5 years if caught, regardless of the reason.

I'm pretty sure that's bollocks. Source?

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's bollocks. Source?

Don't know about it being a firearm but I know for a fact it's illegal for us Joe soaps to carry it around. Don't know what kind of sentance it carries. Just say you like your curry's hot and bring the spray with you for impromtu Curry sessions

Zod all mighty, It is not illegal to carry an extendible baton and a prison sentence for carrying one LOL please man I already have stitches from laughing. My father always has one with him walking the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

This thread really has me on edge while walking my dog, if anyone looks at my dog funny during a walk I'm gonna beat the **** out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

zenno wrote: »
    Zod all mighty, It is not illegal to carry a Hurley and a prison sentence for carrying one LOL please man I already have stitches from laughing.
    did you even check to see what they were talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Zod all mighty, It is not illegal to carry an extendible baton and a prison sentence for carrying one LOL please man I already have stitches from laughing. My father always has one with him walking the dog

You might wanna take a look through this
    Particularly section (k)
    ( k ) the weapon sometimes known as a telescopic truncheon or telescopic billy, being a truncheon which extends automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to its handle;
    This applies to this punishment from the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act from 1990
    11.—Where a person, while committing or appearing to be about to commit an offence, or in the course of a dispute or fight, produces in a manner likely unlawfully to intimidate another person any article capable of inflicting serious injury, he shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable—

(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding £1,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or to both, or

(b) on conviction on indictment, to a fine or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to both.

did you even check to see what they were talking about?

I fixed that typo 15 seconds after I posted it so it was a typo you must have caught the typo just as I was fixing it.

You might wanna take a look through this
    Particularly section (k)

This applies to this punishment from the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act from 1990

Yes, but that law is in place if you are going to unlawfully attack another person or using it in a manner that is threatening but if it is concealed and on your person as in self defence purposes then you are not going to get jail time for defending yourself with a metal stick. what you are referring to is some asshole scumbag going around to attack or intimidate people with such metal stick but either way if you did defend yourself and smashed it over the head of a scumbag robbing you then I cannot see much of a problem in court if you were arrested for carrying it as the judge will most likely throw the case out if you were being attacked and used it to defend yourself.

The judge is not going to imprison the victim is he/she.

You probably wont get a sentance for it but its still not the best idea to walk around with one. Saying that, I did use to have one just for the craic. Never got to use it so gave it away

You probably wont get a sentance for it but its still not the best idea to walk around with one. Saying that, I did use to have one just for the craic. Never got to use it so gave it away

There's nothing wrong with having a bit of protection considering the society we live in now. Treat it like an umbrella only take it out of your sleeve or bag when it gets bad.

There's nothing wrong with having a bit of protection considering the society we live in now. Treat it like an umbrella only take it out of your sleeve or bag when it gets bad.
    oh I totally agree.
    To be honest I was at a session and one of the lads thought the telescopic baton was cool so I left it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Yes, but that law is in place if you are going to unlawfully attack another person or using it in a manner that is threatening but if it is concealed and on your person as in self defence purposes then you are not going to get jail time for defending yourself with a metal stick. what you are referring to is some asshole scumbag going around to attack or intimidate people with such metal stick but either way if you did defend yourself and smashed it over the head of a scumbag robbing you then I cannot see much of a problem in court if you were arrested for carrying it as the judge will most likely throw the case out if you were being attacked and used it to defend yourself.

The judge is not going to imprison the victim is he/she.

You can still get done for carrying one around.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Unfortunately the law would find it hard to discriminate between an otherwise law-abiding citizen bringing a stick with them for protection whilst walking their dog and a scumbag bring a stick with them to intimidate/attack other people.

Mother told me she brother my dog for a little walk earlier on this morning. I nearly killed her, Told her about the ould fella's dog gettign robbed and she heard about it alright but said she had a big stick with her this morning so she would have hit anyone who went for the dog. Im sure whoever is robbing them wont be to bothered about a short arsed 60+ year old with a stick but sure she's happy with the stick so its all good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Haven't time to read every post so dunno if this has been said but it appears its a family from Ferrybank taking the dogs, Precious Paws Pet Hotel had a post on Facebook last nite and it was deduced from posters who the family are, father and two sons apparently. Car was a Toyota Avensis. They have literally been approaching people walking dogs and asking "can we borrow your dog to breed it" and basically scaring the ****e out of people! The dogs are just running around in the fathers housing estate, think the crowd following the Facebook thread were looking into it and were going to try get that poor fella's dog back. Scum!

Advertisement