Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog stolen from man while walking!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Oh I didn't see that on Facebook. Ill go have a look now. I hope they get the old mans dog back.

I thought it was an old mans dog that got robbed. Turns out the fella walking it was only a young fella. Early twenties I'd say. Dont know how that makes a difference, I suppose I thought a younger person might have putting up a fight or something. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

They have a page up now http://www.facebook.com/FindMarley

Hope the poor little fella is found safe and well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

thats awful i hope hes found.. stealing dogs in broad daylight while walking them??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭DeeRottie

The dog in question was a JRT and the car just pulled up and bundled him in while owner was walking him. I'm guessing this means that dog was not on lead but could be totally wrong.

Microchips have no GPS in them, it's basically like putting a barcode in your dog's neck. If the dog ends up in a pound or rescue centre they should scan for one - but not always unfortunately.

With regards to the tattoo, yes they have been doing it to greyhounds for years. And yes, greyhounds have been dumped when they are no longer of use, dead or alive, with the ear cut off to prevent identification/tracing the owner. So unless you want a one-eared dog it's not a route I'd recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dok53

Why is everybody worried about is it legal to carry this or that? is it legal to rob dogs off people....NO, do they care.....NO. Put something hard and heavy in your pocket and the first fella to put his hand on your dog, pull it out and break him open with it....and the other 2 wont be long runnin and if they dont at least the other fella will be knocked out while the guards are comin

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

There is an 'element' around and they would make you nervous when you're out walking the dogs. I've had people stop their car and ask questions about the dogs, people have approached me on the streets / roads around the city as well.
    For the most part you can tell whether it's an honest approach or not, and it's fairly unnerving when you get the feeling when it's not.
    Along with a stick, poop bags and a mobile, I bring a pen and paper, for reg. no's and a little note on the person and what they said. I only do this if the questions / comments are suspicious.

Examples of some of the Suspicious talk;
    - I've a friend with a dog like yours, he wants to sell it, what are they worth?
    - Do you breed them?
    - Are they for sale?
    - Where are you from / living?
    - What breed is he?
    - Are they chipped?
    - Are they vicious / good guard dog?

Not all of the above are suspicious, when discussed in the correct context of course, but answers to the suspicious types include
    - they're worthless, people are giving them away.
    - they're neutered, so can't breed them.
    - no they're not chipped, even though they are. A dog thief will steal a dog regardless but he will off load a dog 'selectively' if knows it's chipped ie to a customer where it's more unlikely the dog won't be checked for one.
    - generally the dogs don't like undisirables, they sense it, so I keep the conversation short and sweet, and try to keep moving, so the dogs don't react.

The lightly hood of a dog being stolen while you're out walking seems very remote, unless the dog is really worth serious money and they trade this off against the higher risk of getting caught. If they're willing to take this risk, I'd be very concerned that they'd have no hesitation in carrying out a serious assault on an owner - I still think the chances are really remote, there's way easier ways of scum bags (a) stealing the dog (b) making alot more money in other forms of crime and probably less risk of getting caught to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Clare Bear wrote: »
    They have a page up now http://www.facebook.com/FindMarley

Hope the poor little fella is found safe and well.

There's no contact detail on the page.
    There's a location only 10k from town, where a lot of dogs come and go that might be worth checking or is there someone connected with the owners on here who I could pm the location. There's always lots of JRTs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

A friends father went and got me a proper decent stick for walking the dog , seriously if someone stops up by me and attempts to take my dog I will start swinging but if their are a few of them I'll prob end up being assaulted by the very stick I had to protect myself :( I think anytime some minorities stop up in a car or van asking suspicious questions all details should be taken !!! Still cannot believe people need to be watching their back out walking their dog , its comical if was not so serious .

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Found on a halting site. What a surprise.......

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

I cannot believe I'm only seeing that Facebook page now, absolutely hilarious.

One update; "night night Marley xx praying for you xx".

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

I cannot believe I'm only seeing that Facebook page now, absolutely hilarious.

One update; "night night Marley xx praying for you xx".

Christ.

I saw grown men post stuff like that not so long ago when a footballer they never even met was in trouble... Each to their own, some people's pets are part of the family!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

So it was a young kids dog and some people cant understand how heartbreaking it is for her and her father....

Some hard men on this forum... prob run a mile if same thing happened.

delightd the dog is back to the owner!
    a good news story for once

I don't think I'm hard, I just found the Facebook page funny, bit like something Waterford Whispers might come up with.

Nice to see he's back though of course.

#marley2012

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

How and where was he found?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Semingly found on halting site in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The <snip> took him. Was found on a halting site in Dublin.

Anyone see a setter about today?
    he's blind in one eye. Went missing from dominics place.

459541_10150753539381572_631956571_9619311_1645264099_o.jpg

The woner is after checking around gracediue a few times and I checked the two industrial estates and out around there a few times and no luck. Anyone see him just let me know, I think nichola has it up on the wlr facebook site aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Looks like a golden retriever to me but im around that area quiet often i'll keep an eye out for him pardon the pun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

The Dirty Knackers took him. Was found on a halting site in Dublin.

Im guessing it was the ISPCA or something. Fair play.

Anyone arrested? Guards are afraid of them so probably not.

If it was found out somebodys back in the city theyd be in court without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Thats fantastic the little dog was found. Family must be delighted. Hope setter turns up also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

marlin vs wrote: »
    Looks like a golden retriever to me but im around that area quiet often i'll keep an eye out for him pardon the pun.

its actually very white with red speckles over it,ive seen it around before.(if thats the same dog)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This problem is not unique to Waterford. A man was walking his dog along Salthill Prom in Galway & a van pulled up ahead of him. A guy leaned out of the passenger door & called the dog - apparently he had a treat in his hand. Within seconds they had pulled the dog into the van & driven off. The owner immediately phoned the Guards with the reg number but the dog was never found.

One of my dogs is a Saluki which is favoured by the Hare Coursing crowd. I had a scary incident on Inch beach in Kerry where I ended up surrounded by travellers wanting to give me €50 for the dog. At one point one of them tried to pull the lead out of my hand.

My dogs have large white collar tags with "I am neutered & microchipped". But unfortunately these people will steal the dog first & then decide if it has any value later - if not they just dump it. This is why dogs are sometimes found a long way from where they were taken.

The best way to increase the chances of getting your dog back is to have it microchipped. Tattoo's are pointless. Also take some good photos of your dogs & keep them safe in case you need them for posters, identification, etc.

As for personal protection the key is that any item must have a justifiable reason for you to be carrying it for example at night you can carry a 6 D Cell torch which is the equivalent of a heavy baton.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

I was out around 10 pm Tues night for quick walk with dog on carrickphirish rd and suspicious silver ford focus drove past twice didn't get reg but it had a dent in the boot hatchback too I think it was 05/06 model I could of being paranoid but for it to pass me twice slowing down was a bit strange . Maybe my stick scared them off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Media999 wrote: »
    Im guessing it was the ISPCA or something. Fair play.

Anyone arrested? Guards are afraid of them so probably not.

If it was found out somebodys back in the city theyd be in court without a doubt.

It was an inspector from Irish Equine Welfare who found the dog tied up under a caravan in Nass....might have seen the dog on the Find Marley facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Well done to that inspector. What a lucky dog!

I think I just scared the bejesus outta some non national. I remember someone on here saying they walk their husky pup up around keanes road etc so I seen some young fella walking along with one and stopped to have a look at the dog and a little chat(with the human) but the fella couldnt understand english so headed off. oops

I think I just scared the bejesus outta some non national. I remember someone on here saying they walk their husky pup up around keanes road etc so I seen some young fella walking along with one and stopped to have a look at the dog and a little chat(with the human) but the fella couldnt understand english so headed off. oops

I must say bradknowell, you remind of of a guy who used to post here, can't put my finger on who just yet though...

• Advertisement

I must say bradknowell, you remind of of a guy who used to post here, can't put my finger on who just yet though...

That cant be true I'm unique ,l ike everyone else

Advertisement